Dealer oil change goes bad...

JoeSakic19

Contributor
:
2014 Mazda3 GS + 2013 CX-5 Touring.
Hey guys.. The mazda dealer did the 16K KM oil change on my girlfriend's 2013 CX-5 last week and they messed up baaaaaaad.... We were going for a 500+km trip last week-end and guess what? The car ran out of OIL after 200KM! We did not hit anything. As soon as the lights came on we parked the car on the side of the road and turned it down but I am affraid it was too late... The engine was knocking bad... really bad. The dealer will check it tommorow and I hope they will replace the whole engine but I doubt it..... They will find an excuse somehow... Remaining Oil was dripping on the towing metal plate.

What can they have done wrong when doing the oil change ? Any ideas ? Which parts of the engine maybe affected? I want facts to force them to replace the engine.

Thanks

Hey guys.. The mazda dealer did the 16K KM oil change on my girlfriend's 2013 CX-5 last week and they messed up baaaaaaad.... We were going for a 500+km trip last week-end and guess what? The car ran out of OIL after 200KM! We did not hit anything. As soon as the lights came on we parked the car on the side of the road and turned it down but I am affraid it was too late... The engine was knocking bad... really bad. The dealer will check it tommorow and I hope they will replace the whole engine but I doubt it..... They will find an excuse somehow... Remaining Oil was dripping on the towing metal plate.

What can they have done wrong when doing the oil change ? Any ideas ? Which parts of the engine maybe affected? I want facts to force them to replace the engine.

Thanks
There are many things that could have been done wrong, either by rushing or inexperience. And yes, even dealers sometimes hire inexperienced techs. I know, I worked at a dealership for a while.
They could have put too little oil in, or even none at all if they didn't drain it properly to begin with. They could have left the old oil filter gasket on by mistake, which causes it to leak. They could have overtightened or under-tightened the filter, both of which will cause a leak. They also could have lost or broken the drain plug gasket, or simply not tightened it enough.
It also could be a case of a faulty oil filter, through no fault of the technician.

Last edited:
I used to work at Canadian Tire way back, and I remember one of the cashiers has an oil change done at the store, and her engine has basically seized shortly after. The oil drain plug had fallen out, it appeared that it hadn't been tightened at all, so maybe during driving it simply vibrated its way out.

I remember that Canadian Tire took responsibility for the incident, so in your case there might be hope!

Same thing happened to me a few years ago. I bought a brand new 2009 AWD v6 Kia Sportage as my work car/ daily driver. I actually do pay to have the oil changes done on just this car just to keep the warranty work up to date. Well the oil change place forgot to tighten the drain plug and the car was less then a year old.

It was Fully covered after i lost my s*** on them on the phone. They sent out one of the insurance agents to the car dealership my car was sitting at. Plus i got 5 quotes from all the different Kia dealers in my area, and gave the two highest to them. They also tried to give me a junkyard used motor, but i raised hell about the car being brand ******* new and there was no way in hell they were gonna put a 100k mile motor in my brand new car THEY ****** up. In the end i had a $7800 check written to cover the Brand New engine and install. And the best part was the engine, and install was less then $5300 total. ;)

Back