disable istop completely

BTW, iStop causes many failures on Mazda6.
It makes the starter fail prematurely. The money you save from fuel probably won't be enough to pay for a new starter 3-4 years down the road.
Not to mention that it is annoying to some people.
I have seen many people posted pics of their iStop failure warnings on the dash.

I am happy that Mazda did not bring iStop to USA.
Mazda USA knew better.

How does it cause the starter to fail? Mazda's i-STOP does not use the starter...

Here is a description of how it works from Mazda, an excerpt is below, the link follows...

"While conventional idling stop systems rely on a starter motor to restart the engine, Mazda's i-stop restarts the engine through combustion; fuel is directly injected into a cylinder while the engine is stopped and ignited to generate downward piston force. The result is a quick and quiet engine re-start compared to other systems and a significant saving in fuel.

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/env/i-stop/

Last edited:
BTW, iStop causes many failures on Mazda6.
It makes the starter fail prematurely. The money you save from fuel probably won't be enough to pay for a new starter 3-4 years down the road.
Not to mention that it is annoying to some people.
I have seen many people posted pics of their iStop failure warnings on the dash.

I am happy that Mazda did not bring iStop to USA.
Mazda USA knew better.

The ONLY reasons Mazda did not install i-Stop in USA was because, 1, the extra cost as it is not just data, there is a large $500 i-stop sensor at bottom of steering column, and 2, the dopey Fuel Regs (EPA, CAFE) did not have a run cycle test to include the merits of i-stop in gas consumption figures (MPG).

Believe me Mazda i-Stop will be in the USA soon....your just behind the times, like diesel.

guys,
I stand corrected on the iStop starter.
It does not change the fact that I have seen many reported iStop problems outside USA.
I had a Prius, and had a ride in a BMW with something similar.
Really did not like that 1-sec hesitation off line. Maybe it is just me, or maybe not.
I will opt it out if there is a choice. If not, I might consider other brands.

guys,
I stand corrected on the iStop starter.
It does not change the fact that I have seen many reported iStop problems outside USA.
I had a Prius, and had a ride in a BMW with something similar.
Really did not like that 1-sec hesitation off line. Maybe it is just me, or maybe not.
I will opt it out if there is a choice. If not, I might consider other brands.

I have not yet seen any problems with the Mazda system, please can you show the many reported I-STOP problems?

Yes the starter based systems are very slow... The delay on the Mazda system is only .3 seconds

In USA, there is no iStop in Mazdas. No personal experience here.
Just passing on what I read.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2258953
or,
do a search on this site. You can find reports of iStop issues.

P.S.
Have been a Mazda owner since 2008. Not a troll.

No no, def not a troll. :) I always appreciate good data.

Thanks for the link. I did read it carefully and it looks like there is not a problem with the i-Stop, but rather the operators understanding or misinformation on when it is and isn't supposed to function.

I am on the other side of the camp, and am looking forward to having i-Stop in North America. (cabpatch)

How does it cause the starter to fail? Mazda's i-STOP does not use the starter...

Here is a description of how it works from Mazda, an excerpt is below, the link follows...

"While conventional idling stop systems rely on a starter motor to restart the engine, Mazda's i-stop restarts the engine through combustion; fuel is directly injected into a cylinder while the engine is stopped and ignited to generate downward piston force. The result is a quick and quiet engine re-start compared to other systems and a significant saving in fuel.

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/technology/env/i-stop/

That is true for petrol/gasoline engines. The diesel engine uses the starter motor when restarting.

I permanently disabled it on my cx5. Just got a timing relay and a 91 ohm resistor and put it in parallel with the istop button. The button is part of a resistive matrix switch arrangement (hence the 91 ohm resistor needed) and on the cx5 it was the pink and purple wire. I set it to mimic a button press after 10 seconds. Pretty tricky to do but worth it!

I have done something similar to disable the i-stop automatically. I have created a more detailed post about it here:
https://no-cache.net/projects/mazda-how-to-disable-istop/

Did you know if you have your blowers on windscreen it doesn't work or if you have your temp at either the maximum or minimum, so what I generally do is always have blowers on the lowest speed aimed at windscreen so istop never comes on.

I was NOT impressed with the I Stop function in my Mazda 2017 CX5 Diesel it is the most useless piece of not needed addition that I decided was not required......
The easiest way to rid it for good is simple .....If you remove the micro switch that is installed adjacent to the bonnet latch by removing the small screw holding it in place and cable tie it nearby the I Stop will never bug you again,no need to cut wires or remove the micro switch from the vehicle.......By re locating the switch the function thinks the bonnet is open but is in fact closed...There are no other warning lights to contend with or issues...

Back