VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
VersaTuner - tuning software for Mazdas
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: disable istop completely

Registered Member

2012 CX5 Diesel 4WD

I'd love to find how to permanently disable the iStop in my CX5. After 65000km of driving in city traffic, I am ready to start experimenting with cutting or splicing together the wires to the by-pass switch so that I don't have to push it every time I start the car. I hate the delay in starting away from the lights, and the sound of the starter motor grinding away every time i go to move off from lights. I am seriously considering changing to another brand of car, it annoys me so much. I by-pass iStop every time I start the car.

Registered Member

Mazda

Quote Originally Posted by bigears View Post
    I'd love to find how to permanently disable the iStop in my CX5. After 65000km of driving in city traffic, I am ready to start experimenting with cutting or splicing together the wires to the by-pass switch so that I don't have to push it every time I start the car. I hate the delay in starting away from the lights, and the sound of the starter motor grinding away every time i go to move off from lights. I am seriously considering changing to another brand of car, it annoys me so much. I by-pass iStop every time I start the car.
    Go to your Mazda Dealer and get them to plug their IDS into your car, go to Module Programming/Parameters and see if they can disable i-stop.
    There are other features too which can be disabled/enabled....please let us know.
    BTW: i-stop is NOT a safety item, it's sole purpose is to save fuel.

Registered Member

Mazda cx5 2015 gt

I permanently disabled it on my cx5. Just got a timing relay and a 91 ohm resistor and put it in parallel with the istop button. The button is part of a resistive matrix switch arrangement (hence the 91 ohm resistor needed) and on the cx5 it was the pink and purple wire. I set it to mimic a button press after 10 seconds. Pretty tricky to do but worth it!

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2016 Mazda6 iGT, 2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback

Whoever said iStop cannot be stopped is wrong.
    CEP iStop
    Made in Japan. Sold at Mazda6 Taiwanese Fan-group Gen-III on Facebook.
    See #6 of items by this shop.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/1236...00000681405355
    Many more items here:
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/123618548004183/
    2016 Mazda6 iGT + Tech Pkg
    ....Sonic Silver Mica / Parchment
    2014 Mazda3 sGT hatchback
    ....Soul Red Metallic / Almond

BTW, iStop causes many failures on Mazda6.
    It makes the starter fail prematurely. The money you save from fuel probably won't be enough to pay for a new starter 3-4 years down the road.
    Not to mention that it is annoying to some people.
    I have seen many people posted pics of their iStop failure warnings on the dash.

I am happy that Mazda did not bring iStop to USA.
    Mazda USA knew better.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

Quote Originally Posted by ceric View Post
    It makes the starter fail prematurely. The money you save from fuel probably won't be enough to pay for a new starter 3-4 years down the road.
    I have seen many people posted pics of their iStop failure warnings on the dash.

Mazda USA knew better.
    How does it cause the starter to fail? Mazda's i-STOP does not use the starter...

Here is a description of how it works from Mazda, an excerpt is below, the link follows...

"While conventional idling stop systems rely on a starter motor to restart the engine, Mazda's i-stop restarts the engine through combustion; fuel is directly injected into a cylinder while the engine is stopped and ignited to generate downward piston force. The result is a quick and quiet engine re-start compared to other systems and a significant saving in fuel.

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/t...gy/env/i-stop/
    Last edited by mazdadude; 04-23-2016 at 03:30 PM.
    Mazda's I have owned over the years.
    80' Mazda GLC SPORT MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    81' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 DX MT - sold
    82' Mazda 626 LX AT - sold
    85' Mazda 626 LX MT - sold
    87' Mazda 626 GT Turbo MT - sold
    85' Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE MT- sold
    87' Mazda RX-7 Turbo 2 MT - sold
    91' Mazda Protege LX MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    93' Mazda MX-3 GS-V6 Special Edition MT - sold
    00' Mazda 626 LX-V6 MT - sold
    02.5' Mazda Protege5 MT - sold
    92' Mazda MX-5 Miata MT - sold
    06' Mazda 5 Touring AT - sold
    13' Mazda CX-5 Touring AT - sold
    14' Mazda 3i Grand Touring MT - sold
    15' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - sold
    03' Mazda Protege5 AT - sold
    16.5' Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD AT - current
    09' Mazda Mazdaspeed3 GT - current

Registered Member

Mazda

Mazda USA knew better.
    The ONLY reasons Mazda did not install i-Stop in USA was because, 1, the extra cost as it is not just data, there is a large $500 i-stop sensor at bottom of steering column, and 2, the dopey Fuel Regs (EPA, CAFE) did not have a run cycle test to include the merits of i-stop in gas consumption figures (MPG).

Believe me Mazda i-Stop will be in the USA soon....your just behind the times, like diesel.

guys,
    I stand corrected on the iStop starter.
    It does not change the fact that I have seen many reported iStop problems outside USA.
    I had a Prius, and had a ride in a BMW with something similar.
    Really did not like that 1-sec hesitation off line. Maybe it is just me, or maybe not.
    I will opt it out if there is a choice. If not, I might consider other brands.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

guys,
    I stand corrected on the iStop starter.
    It does not change the fact that I have seen many reported iStop problems outside USA.
    I had a Prius, and had a ride in a BMW with something similar.
    Really did not like that 1-sec hesitation off line. Maybe it is just me, or maybe not.
    I will opt it out if there is a choice. If not, I might consider other brands.
    I have not yet seen any problems with the Mazda system, please can you show the many reported I-STOP problems?

Yes the starter based systems are very slow... The delay on the Mazda system is only .3 seconds

In USA, there is no iStop in Mazdas. No personal experience here.
    Just passing on what I read.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2258953
    or,
    do a search on this site. You can find reports of iStop issues.

P.S.
    Have been a Mazda owner since 2008. Not a troll.
    Last edited by ceric; 04-26-2016 at 01:22 AM.

In USA, there is no iStop in Mazdas. No personal experience here.
    Just passing on what I read.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2258953
    or,
    do a search on this site. You can find reports of iStop issues.

P.S.
    Have been a Mazda owner since 2008. Not a troll.
    No no, def not a troll. I always appreciate good data.

Thanks for the link. I did read it carefully and it looks like there is not a problem with the i-Stop, but rather the operators understanding or misinformation on when it is and isn't supposed to function.

I am on the other side of the camp, and am looking forward to having i-Stop in North America.

Registered Member

Mazda 6

Quote Originally Posted by mazdadude View Post
    How does it cause the starter to fail? Mazda's i-STOP does not use the starter...

Here is a description of how it works from Mazda, an excerpt is below, the link follows...

"While conventional idling stop systems rely on a starter motor to restart the engine, Mazda's i-stop restarts the engine through combustion; fuel is directly injected into a cylinder while the engine is stopped and ignited to generate downward piston force. The result is a quick and quiet engine re-start compared to other systems and a significant saving in fuel.

http://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/t...gy/env/i-stop/
    That is true for petrol/gasoline engines. The diesel engine uses the starter motor when restarting.

Quote Originally Posted by BladeVsNeo View Post
    I permanently disabled it on my cx5. Just got a timing relay and a 91 ohm resistor and put it in parallel with the istop button. The button is part of a resistive matrix switch arrangement (hence the 91 ohm resistor needed) and on the cx5 it was the pink and purple wire. I set it to mimic a button press after 10 seconds. Pretty tricky to do but worth it!
    I have done something similar to disable the i-stop automatically. I have created a more detailed post about it here:
    https://no-cache.net/projects/mazda-...disable-istop/

Registered Member

Mazda 6

Did you know if you have your blowers on windscreen it doesn't work or if you have your temp at either the maximum or minimum, so what I generally do is always have blowers on the lowest speed aimed at windscreen so istop never comes on.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12