disable istop completely

I found that I had an issue with that originally but the trick is when you stop, and it turns off you should be able to pull the hand brake up then remove foot from foot brake and it stays off...then turn car off via button

From what I've read, it's classed as a safety feature and can't be disabled, I checked to see if there was a fuse you could pull and disable, but there wasn't.

i-Stop grizzles

From what I've read, it's classed as a safety feature and can't be disabled, I checked to see if there was a fuse you could pull and disable, but there wasn't.

Safety! Bloody nuisance I call it. I discussed with my mechanic (not a Mazda guy) and we agree the piddly bit of diesel I might save is less than what it would coast to replace the starter. However it must be a pretty good starter setup to handle all the load of constant restarts :D

Safety! Bloody nuisance I call it. I discussed with my mechanic (not a Mazda guy) and we agree the piddly bit of diesel I might save is less than what it would coast to replace the starter. However it must be a pretty good starter setup to handle all the load of constant restarts :D

I think you and your mechanic might be right, i try to remember to turn it off as much as i can.

I'd love to find how to permanently disable the iStop in my CX5. After 65000km of driving in city traffic, I am ready to start experimenting with cutting or splicing together the wires to the by-pass switch so that I don't have to push it every time I start the car. I hate the delay in starting away from the lights, and the sound of the starter motor grinding away every time i go to move off from lights. I am seriously considering changing to another brand of car, it annoys me so much. I by-pass iStop every time I start the car.

I'd love to find how to permanently disable the iStop in my CX5. After 65000km of driving in city traffic, I am ready to start experimenting with cutting or splicing together the wires to the by-pass switch so that I don't have to push it every time I start the car. I hate the delay in starting away from the lights, and the sound of the starter motor grinding away every time i go to move off from lights. I am seriously considering changing to another brand of car, it annoys me so much. I by-pass iStop every time I start the car.

Go to your Mazda Dealer and get them to plug their IDS into your car, go to Module Programming/Parameters and see if they can disable i-stop.
There are other features too which can be disabled/enabled....please let us know.
BTW: i-stop is NOT a safety item, it's sole purpose is to save fuel.

I permanently disabled it on my cx5. Just got a timing relay and a 91 ohm resistor and put it in parallel with the istop button. The button is part of a resistive matrix switch arrangement (hence the 91 ohm resistor needed) and on the cx5 it was the pink and purple wire. I set it to mimic a button press after 10 seconds. Pretty tricky to do but worth it!

BTW, iStop causes many failures on Mazda6.
It makes the starter fail prematurely. The money you save from fuel probably won't be enough to pay for a new starter 3-4 years down the road.
Not to mention that it is annoying to some people.
I have seen many people posted pics of their iStop failure warnings on the dash.

I am happy that Mazda did not bring iStop to USA.
Mazda USA knew better.

Back