Lewis7789 MS6 GT build thread

Yep, I'll pick up a heat gun from HF and snag a squeegee from work and hire a couple Mexicans to give me a hand holding the vinyl while I work it. Doesn't seem too tough, just time consuming and tedious, which is right up my alley.

You going to use water or something like rapidtac?

Pretty much all the video's I've watched we done going in dry (tee-hee) and with a heat gun. I watched one from 3M where they use their version of Rapitac but it was for lining up graphics, not really applying a total sheet over a total body panel.

Do this sooner rather than later so I can determine if it's better to paint, plasti-dip, or vinyl-wrap the RX-7 :D

Yep, I'll pick up a heat gun from HF and snag a squeegee from work and hire a couple Mexicans to give me a hand holding the vinyl while I work it. Doesn't seem too tough, just time consuming and tedious, which is right up my alley.

Can Pablo help with only one good arm?

Hehe... see what I did there with the Mexicans and all? I'm so funnay sometimes.

Haha, with all the things I watched you do first to the Rx7 and I copied it would be my pleasure to repay you for once. I'm shooting for the weekend of July 13th.

I'm getting 3M 1080 S10 Scotchprint Satin White Vinyl Wrap. 5ft x 55ft (60in x 660in) (275 Sq/ft) for $400 shipped but sounds like I'll need more to completely wrap the car.

Pretty much all the video's I've watched we done going in dry (tee-hee) and with a heat gun. I watched one from 3M where they use their version of Rapitac but it was for lining up graphics, not really applying a total sheet over a total body panel.

I used water with a bit of baby soap in it when i wrapped the roof of the Ford a few weeks ago. The water let us slide the vinyl around a bit better then if it was dry to get the best fit possible. just make sure you have plenty of sharp blades to cut the vinyl as you go. heat gun works great so does laying the vinyl in the sun for a few minutes before you install it to get a bit more stretch.

Let me know if you need a hand, I'd be willing to watch and tell you what you're doing wrong. :D

Such a true friend, Will. Thanks. haha

Thanks for the tips, JT.

Haha, with all the things I watched you do first to the Rx7 and I copied it would be my pleasure to repay you for once. I'm shooting for the weekend of July 13th.

I'm getting 3M 1080 S10 Scotchprint Satin White Vinyl Wrap. 5ft x 55ft (60in x 660in) (275 Sq/ft) for $400 shipped but sounds like I'll need more to completely wrap the car.

I used water with a bit of baby soap in it when i wrapped the roof of the Ford a few weeks ago. The water let us slide the vinyl around a bit better then if it was dry to get the best fit possible. just make sure you have plenty of sharp blades to cut the vinyl as you go. heat gun works great so does laying the vinyl in the sun for a few minutes before you install it to get a bit more stretch.

ugh you ricers, too lazy to paint your cars anymore. so you just cover it up with one big sticker that just peels off and the paint underneath is fine.... LOL

but evan one of my MINATOR friends was gonna get that but he was praying someone else was so he wouldnt be tempted to spend the money

Haha, then tell him "thank you and you're welcome" for me. :)

ugh you ricers, too lazy to paint your cars anymore. so you just cover it up with one big sticker that just peels off and the paint underneath is fine.... LOL

but evan one of my MINATOR friends was gonna get that but he was praying someone else was so he wouldnt be tempted to spend the money

no one said the paint under the vinyl would be fine after you apply the vinyl. ask Simon what his car looks like after a while being matte white vinyl and he will tell you he would not do it ever again.

What do you mean, JT? Did it trash his P5? His paint never was all that great either though, right? Again, I'm looking for a permanent solution without the high cost of paint.

nothing is permanent. not even paint. they reccomend that you change vinyl after 5 years, for god knows why. but honestly evan, id just get your front bumper painted....

Have you seen my car, AJ? It's pretty rough, man. There is rust on the drivers side rear tail light and on the rear plate. I already cut out the quarter panels and sealed it with bed liner but I'm sure it will come back. Fez asked one of his guys for a quote for me for the bumper and hood and it was $450. For a little more I could plastidip the whole car or vinyl wrap it. Plus, I'm not particular fond of this color.

nothing is permanent. not even paint. they reccomend that you change vinyl after 5 years, for god knows why. but honestly evan, id just get your front bumper painted....

Most vinyl has an outdoor rating of 5-9 years depending on how much you spent on it. 9 year stuff is obviously big $$$.

In 4 years I plan to transfer everything over to a rust free shell anyway so the vinyl will work great. And the seller told me he can ship it tomorrow and I'll send him the remaining balance next week. What a nice fellow. :)

Marc, thanks, I'll probably take you up on that offer.

Back