Wife Had Key and Keyless Stolen.......What To Do

weitrhino

Charge & get yer horn wet
:
2003 P5 "Blackie"
So my wife started a new job recently and doesn't know the people there too well yet. The other day she put her keys on the counter at work and they came up missing. She lost her P5 key and keyless along with office and house keys. I got her going with the spare but she's concerned someone will get into her car or even steal it while she's at work. She wants to replace the ignition and the door locks and get new keys.

Is there a better way to go? I just see this being ridiculously expensive if a dealer would even sell me a new set of keys, locks, and ignition. I don't want a new keyless fob.

You can go to a locksmith shop and have the car rekeyed It is cheaper than the dealer way Or you can go to Different you pull it junk yards And look at the protoge's and hope there is one with the key And you can take all the locks off of that one And swap it into your wife's car

Last edited:
You could replace the two door locks and the tailgate and leave the ignition with the key you have. Then they would have to break in to get to the ignition. You can go to a wrecker and get a key fob for around $20, that way you can re-program your car so that the stolen key fob won't work on your car. I priced out a new fob at Mazda,.. they want $180 each.

You could disable your trunk and passenger lock by disconnecting it or just jamming something in them to prevent their use. I'd still keep the driver's side working but then you'd only have to take that door apart.

Replacing all three locks and the ignition is a PITA and can be expensive.

Not expensive if you find a protege at the salvage yard that has the key As for the key fob I would disconnect the keyless entry so the other person cannot use it to get into the car

All good advice. I may simply reprogram the keyless and change the door locks and not screw around with the ignition.

The ignition is not hard to change if you can push a button on an elevator you can change the ignition that's all there is to it is pushing a little button

Back