Plasti Dipped My Wheels

To me, it looks cheap because in person it looks like plastic. When I see plastic on a wheel, I think hubcaps. What what I see on forum posts, or dip your car websites (when the dip was just done pretty much, or done by some pro shop) it almost NEVER is the case when I see a car IRL that has dipped wheels. They almost always look bad, probably because it takes more to keep dip looking new than a bare/painted wheel.

Here is a close up of mine. It's a smooth matte finish and doesn't look like plastic. If you take your time and add a lot of layers in the beginning it comes out great. I've had to do no touchup or maintenance to them in the 6 months it's been on the wheels.

hGgdktE.jpg

I got tired of the silver on silver look and did mine this weekend too. 18" Enkei M52 :)

These rims also come in black. I should have just bought the black ones to begin with. lol. I think they make the car look more aggressive.

33nyys7.jpg

Before:
2ef6e0g.jpg

After:
1zvrjbo.jpg

Last edited:
That doesn't look bad, when fresh. I just took this picture today at the flight school. This is what all the dipped wheels I see in real life look like. Maybe yours won't end up like this.

Perfect way to cheapen the look of a new car lel. The majority of cars I see dipped like that are beaters, cars with hubcaps, wheels with road rash, cars with tape on air vent on front (or like a mustang I saw on the rear left bumper side).

i've gotten nothing but compliments on my car and wheels and been stopped numerous times by mazda owners. if done right plastidip does wonders and looks good

The ricey 'More wheel, less tire' look is not suited to many cars. Certainly not the CX-5.

Nothing ricey about it. Don't look now, but lots of new vehicles (yes, SUVs included) come with larger wheels and lower profile tires. A good example is the new Jeep Grand Cherokee's 20" factory wheels. Looks fantastic and not ricey at all. I believe Infiniti puts 22" wheels on their large SUV.

Looks great dude, I'm contemplating to either go with a gloss black or a gunmetal for my oem rims. Mine is Mazda is blue, what do you guys think will look better?

Nothing wrong with Plastidipping the wheels, I had them on my 6 for a year. They then started to peel around the lip area and looked horrendous. I really liked the black look but to keep them shiny I would put some tire shine on them every month or so but still wasn't enough.

The OEM wheels are beautifully designed and I wouldn't change a thing about them. Last weekend got them powdercoated, beware though many powdercoat shops will not accept plastidipped wheels!! you have to clean them yourself and that cleanup can take an hour or more per wheel. What a mess cause you need to clean the outer wheels as well as the inside. Anyways very happy with the results, here is the powdercoat results. Excuse the first two pics the wheels are dusty and were not washed. Need to take better pics after I shine up the tires as well.

14154685468_4016572889.jpg

14154687159_d02361de25_z.jpg

14357676842_3d04ab1082_z.jpg

14359211535_e476df2f86_z.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with Plastidipping the wheels, I had them on my 6 for a year. They then started to peel around the lip area and looked horrendous. I really liked the black look but to keep them shiny I would put some tire shine on them every month or so but still wasn't enough.

The OEM wheels are beautifully designed and I wouldn't change a thing about them. Last weekend got them powdercoated, beware though many powdercoat shops will not accept plastidipped wheels!! you have to clean them yourself and that cleanup can take an hour or more per wheel. What a mess cause you need to clean the outer wheels as well as the inside. Anyways very happy with the results, here is the powdercoat results. Excuse the first two pics the wheels are dusty and were not washed. Need to take better pics after I shine up the tires as well.

14154685468_4016572889.jpg

I like the looks of that Gio. will have to see about getting them done for my set.

I think it would look pretty slick on my black mica...although that design you got there comes with the GT 18" (or was it 19") wheels. I've got the Touring which has 17" wheels.

Last edited:
Plasti dipped my wheels last weekend. The color is Anthracite w/ a coat of glossifier at the end. 5 coats of Anthracite, 1 coat of glossifier.

Pro Tip: If you take your wheels off to dip, put a wide flanged bolt though the holes when applying your coat then remove and let dry between coats. This way you're left with a clean seat for the lug nut to sit on. I noticed that the lug nut would tear the plasti dip around the holes when being tightened. Not sure if others experienced this.

GQBSTdH.jpg

WgZbAjl.jpg

3LtcIr3.jpg

Last edited:
Considering dipping my wheels all black with glossifier. The pizza look isn't cutting it for me anymore and I don't really feel like spending the extra cash on new wheels. As it is I've been getting the off-roading bug as of late and am considering replacing this guy with a 4runner pro or wrangler. Sigh, it's only money. ;)

Anyway back on topic, I've been looking for pics of dipped '17 or '18 GT wheels.

Back