Plasti Dipped My Wheels

ATKKVF

:
2014 CX-5 Touring
Got bored and never really liked the color of my stock rims so I decided to plastidip them black.
34qaibr.jpg

35aj39x.jpg

2hyza5w.jpg

2i1gk9d.jpg

Last edited:
No sanding, just plastidip. If I dont like it or want to change it, I just peel it off. Spray paint is permanent. It has only been two days but so far they still look good.

Perfect way to cheapen the look of a new car lel. The majority of cars I see dipped like that are beaters, cars with hubcaps, wheels with road rash, cars with tape on air vent on front (or like a mustang I saw on the rear left bumper side).

Perfect way to cheapen the look of a new car lel. The majority of cars I see dipped like that are beaters, cars with hubcaps, wheels with road rash, cars with tape on air vent on front (or like a mustang I saw on the rear left bumper side).

+1

How is it any different then a set of aftermarket wheels? I've seen way worse looking aftermarket wheels on a lot of cars posted here. I almost always prefer black versions of the OEM wheels as opposed to a set of chintzy aftermarket ones.

I think don't think this looks close to cheap:

942648_10103006517456763_1172098664_n.jpg

Last edited:
Don't worry too much about haters. You know what they say about opinions, right? If you like it, that's all that really matters. Personally, I'm on the fence. I don't usually like dark wheels, but for some reason it looks decent on the CX-5, probably because it seems to match well with the unpainted black trim on the vehicle.

How is it any different then a set of aftermarket wheels? I've seen way worse looking aftermarket wheels on a lot of cars posted here. I almost always prefer black versions of the OEM wheels as opposed to a set of chintzy aftermarket ones.

To me, it looks cheap because in person it looks like plastic. When I see plastic on a wheel, I think hubcaps. What what I see on forum posts, or dip your car websites (when the dip was just done pretty much, or done by some pro shop) it almost NEVER is the case when I see a car IRL that has dipped wheels. They almost always look bad, probably because it takes more to keep dip looking new than a bare/painted wheel.

Other than the zombie car, I have yet to see an aftermarket wheel that makes the CX-5 look better than with stock. So in that sense, the plasti-dipped wheels look at least as good as any aftermarket wheel to me. I think the plastic thing is all in your head based on the name of the product.

All that being said, I'm not a fan of the plasti-dip on wheels either, but using the glossifier is a huge step up from bare plasti-dip. In general, I love plasti-dip though. Its great for covering up ugly chrome bumpers and such on other vehicles.

I don't remember which thread I saw it, but someone on the forum has a black CX-5 with the 19" wheels plasti-dipped and it looks great because it matches the look & texture of the unpainted plastic on the car. In the picture, it matches perfectly. Does anyone remember seeing that picture on the forum recently?

Back