adding navigation to 2103 Touring?

paulb12

:
2013 Mazda CX9 Touring
Mazda sells as an accessory the Navigation card reader so you can add navi to 2013 CX9 that do not have it. It is about $500 online. Has anyone done this? The directions look pretty easy for a DIY installation, I gather all the cables and even the GPS receiver are on the vehicle. I know that the stock head unit and navi system is not the greatest but....

here is link to one play to buy it

http://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-cx9-tom-tom-navigation-system.html

"2103" in title - hah - 2013 of course, by 2103 I hope we have none of these problem!

Last edited:
They have the same setup on the new 2014 Mazda6. It comes with the touchscreen standard, you can add NAV for $550-ish if you didn't get it from the factory.

I've only spoken with one person who has purchased the NAV upgrade and he was pleased with it, at least the last time I heard from him.

If you're concerned about whether you'll be happy with the functionality after you install it, spend some time with a NAV-equipped model at the dealership first. Yours should work identically with the upgrade.

A lot of complains are related with the tomtom navigation box.
When moving disables the touchscreen to avoid entering address
The voice recognition is a mess.
You have to pay for the updates...

My intention is to replace the touchscreen by other android that fits the design of the curretn OEM
It has bigger screen 7in (vs 5.8 mazda's)
Android based (you can install the navigation app you want by only few bucks - with permanent updates of app & maps. Or you can install it "for free" - but this is not the topic)
Capacitive screen
Specific options for wipers/lights/doors like the OEM
2 USB ports (one for the armrest. The other to connect i think close to the front lighter/charger)
Possibility of mirrorlink. You can display and control your smartphone direcly from the touchscreen

Currently is under production trial. I asked for it for a Cx5 but cx9 2013 has the same headunit.
For more information follow the thread "just a dream" on cx5 forum

Back