Mazda2 reliability discussion. How is your Mazda2 holding up?

Model Year - 2011
Mileage - 64,106 (I think I win?)
Daily Driver - See above
Race - Certainly Not Officer (ditto, cosh68)
Long Road Trips - Couple trips from MD to New York state (600 ish round trip)
Mods - Aftermarket brakes at 50K (because the stocks vibrate), Boomerang armrest and a shorty antenna (if those even qualify)
Minor Issues - Squeaky rear shocks
Major Issues - None
Was the Issue covered under warranty ? Shocks, yes.

I've been trying to run the 2 out of gas since I got it. It's never happened and my fuel pump (knock on wood) has been fine. I also have to respectfully disagree with ngd298. I agree that the pump kicks off pre-maturely, but I run an ultragauge and use that to monitor my fuel level. It's not deadly accurate, but when It says 1.5 gallons left, the shell station gives me between 9.5 and 10 gallons in my 11.3 gallon tank. You can definitely squeeze more in on the top end, but that isn't where most of the discrepancy is.

Rotors have nothing to do with vibration. Go to the StopTech web side and read up on pad deposits. Then on bedding the pads. Do that and shaking will be gone.

Fixed the brake shudder.

If you get code 16 from air bag light check the connector under the driver seat. It is loose or unplugged partially or wire may have partial break.

Last edited:
Model Year - 2012
Mileage - 5100
Daily Driver - Yes
Long Road Trips - Nothing over 150 miles RT for now
Mods - K&N Panel filter, cosmetic and headunit.
Minor Issues - right speaker front speaker was making noises like something is loose. all lights on the dash lit up randomly, minor stall? Didn't need to recrank though. Steering popping noises when turning the wheel under 3mph.
Major Issues - None

Mileage - 64,106 (I think I win?)

I most certainly believe that your Mazda2 has the most miles on than any others I have seen here on the forums. Glad to see you haven't had any major issues as well.

but I run an ultragauge and use that to monitor my fuel level.

I also have an ultraguage for my Mazda2 and it highlighted some big inconsistencies with my fuel gauge and how much fuel was actually still in my tank.

I strongly recommend the ultragauge for anyone here on the forums especially for those who have Mazda2 sport models without a trip computer. The ultragauge is a nifty little device.

Model Year - 2011
Mileage - 27,000
Daily Driver - Yes, less than 25 miles a day to and from work
Race - No
Long road trips - No
Mods - No
Minor Issues - No
Major Issues - Steering column replaced 3 weeks ago, fuel pump/battery stopped working on the highway and the hazard lights didn't work while I was waiting to get towed
Were the Issues covered under warranty? Yes, warranty expires this June

Update:

Mileage - approx. 18,000 mi
Daily Driver - Yes, still (approx. 15 mi commute, 80% city)
Race - No, still
Long road trips - had one trip over 700 mi last Summer
Mod - None, still
Minor Issues - Airbag light issue seems to have gone away. Suspension noises are getting more pronounced. A "clunk" has developed during startup.
Major Issues - (Potential) Driveability is getting much worse. Almost like the clutch is going and/or engine/transmission mount is broken as it is very difficult to smoothly engage any gear below 4th.
Was the Issue covered under warranty? Will take the car to the dealer once the weather warms up and ice melts.

Model Year - 2011
Mileage - approx. 13,000
Daily Driver - Yes (approx. 10 mile daily commute, 90% city)
Race - No but getting an itch.
Long road trips - One or two over 300 miles but it's generally an "around town car" (wife's TDI gets better highway mileage)
Mods - None, and deperately trying to keep it that way!
Minor Issues - I've had the passenger's airbag light fail to turn off/on occasionally and in colder weather there's some creaking/popping from the rear.
Major Issues - None
Was the Issue covered under warranty? n/a

UPDATED JULY 29/14

2011 GX w/Convenience Pkg

65,000 km
Daily Driver
No Race
At least two 1,500 km roadtrips, and some minor
Mods: no mechanical. Hitch, roof rack, armrest, antenna

Minor issues: airbag light had come on a few times, but not recently. Rear shocks were creaking when going over bumps, occasional rattle under dash, oil leaks (unbeknownst to me)
Major issues: none UPDATE: Rotors are severely warped, even though I'm still on the original brake pads with 7mm depth (of 10mm). Causes vibration when braking at higher speeds, binds the brake pads when parking/moving at slow speeds, emitting a creak-like noise.
Warranty - Shocks were (I'm guessing) re-greased under warranty. While down there, they found some oil leaks around the pan. All replaced under warranty. UPDATE: Steering rack parts replaced under warranty (thankfully) due to a lot of play.

Last edited:
2012 Sport, 5-speed manual

Mileage - 16,000 miles
Daily Driver - Yes
Race - No
Long road trips - Yes, about 700 miles
Mods: None mechanical yet. Stubby antenna; LED turn signals and exterior/interior bulbs; LED tail lights.

Minor issues: Rear shocks were creaking over bumps - lubricated the bump stops and no more noise; Small squeaks and rattles
Major issues: None

Was the issue covered under warranty? Yes

2012 Touring, 5-speed manual

Mileage - 8,900 miles
Daily Driver - Yes
Race - No
Long road trips - Yes, about 850 miles
Mods: CS Intake, CS Air Duct, CS Exhaust. CS Short Shift Kit, CX-7 Stubby antenna; Eibach Pro Kit Springs, CS Adjustable shocks, CS Front Sway Bar, CS Rear Torsion Bar, Sparco Assetto Gara 16x7 Wheels in Bronze.

Minor issues: None
Major issues: None

Was the issue covered under warranty? N/A

2012 Mazda 2 Sport
Mileage - 31,000 and change
Daily Driver - Yes, mostly highway commuting
Race - Yes, infrequent Autocross, more frequent once I get some proper tires.
Long road trips - Yes, I drive it all over Southern California, up to San Francisco (and down PCH), out to Las Vegas. It's my only car so where I go it takes me.
Mods - Yes, CS Rear bar, CS Short Shift Plate, Yakima Whispbar Roof Rack, CS stubby antenna, 2nd set of wheels for motorsports coming soon.
Minor Issues - No, just oil and filter changes, and tire rotations so far
Major Issues - Not one thing.

Model Year - 2008
Mileage - 45,000
Daily Driver - Yes, everyday home>work>home
Race - No racing yet.
Long road trips - I think the longest was 500mile trip.
Mods -17" rims, Eibach Springs.
Minor Issues - Suspension joint rods, tie rods changed.
Major Issues - Nope.
Were the Issues covered under warranty? N/A.

Model Year - 2012 Sport
Mileage - 20,000 Miles (32,000 KM)
Daily Driver - Yes, 20 miles round trip to work. Weekends 100mi average combined. Brought up to red line often!
Race - Yes, 12 Autocrosses under her belt now.
Long road trips - No, I live on an island. Longest is probably 100mi when I went on a cruise.
Mods - Yes. Coilovers. Wheels and Tires. Camber Bolts. Rear Bar. Engine Mount. Engine is untouched. Ultra Gauge. Clear Bra.
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/garage_vehicle.php?do=view_vehicle&id=3383(see link for specifics)
Minor Issues - (Y)
-On occasion she will idle a little rougher than usual after hard drives, shutting her off then starting back up seems to fix it. Fuel map adjustments or something by the PCM perhaps?
-A couple rattles and creaks in the interior but i do have stiffer suspension and a motor mount.
Major Issues - (N)
Were the Issues covered under warranty? (N/A) My car hasn't see the dealership or any shop since i purchased her. All maintenance including alignments is done by me.

Notes: Oil changed every 5k with Eneos 0W20, just switched to Redline 0W20 which is a bit thicker. She is holding up great so far.

Model Year - 12
Mileage - 41500
Daily Driver - Not really right not
Race - About 20 autocross events
Long road trips - Around 500 miles
Mods - CS intake, CS SS, AWR Dogbone, Cheap torsen bar
Minor Issues - Annoying noise when the sun visor is down
Major Issues - Broken shift linkage (my fault for slamming gears to hard from anger)
Were the Issues covered under warranty? Yes

Model Year: 2012
Mileage: 56k
Daily Driver: Of course =)
Race: 4 autocrosses and 10 drag strip runs
Long Road Trips: about 600 miles
Mods: Everything see Sig for details
Minor Issues: None
Major Issues: None
Were the Issues Covered under Warranty: N/A

Every mod and service is done by myself with an oil change and trans fluid change every 5k miles. Castrol 5w-20 and OEM trans fluid

Model Year - 2011
Mileage - 33,000
Daily Driver - Yes
Race - No
Long road trips - About 500 Miles.
Mods - Yes
Minor Issues - Too much rattling in the interior. Very small amount of rust in my inner hatchback door hinges. I do live close to the sea. Salt water in the air.
Major Issues - None
Were the Issues covered under warranty? N/A

Model Year - 2011
Mileage - 30,XXX
Daily Driver - Yes, 50/50 city highway
Race - Nope
Long road trips - Yes, many trips to and from New york from Va
Mods - None
Minor Issues - leaking tpms sensor
Major Issues - Random (non-recorded!) SRS light, oil pan "gasket" bad.
Were the Issues covered under warranty? Yes, replaced "gasket" with new "gasket" RTV. Replaced sensor after third complaint.

Model Year - 2013
Mileage - 27,XXX
Daily Driver - Yes, 50/50 split
Race - No
Long road trips -Yes, New York and back an Florida and back.
Mods - Yes , appearance and interior so far
Minor Issues - None
Major Issues - None

Model Year - 2012
Mileage - 73 000(KM)
Daily Driver - Yes
Race - No
Long road trips - No
Mods - No
Minor Issues - Defective knock sensor at 8k km, sway bar end-links gone before 60k km(those never last anyway), brakes shot at 70k km (completely ridiculous since my commute is nearly all freeway), suspension creaks when it's cold, many rattles from the interior but mainly the dash will randomly crack and the headliner near the dome light will rattle.
Major Issues - Fuel pump gave out at 45k km.
Were the Issues covered under warranty? Yes, didn't have any trouble even when the car got towed to the nearest dealership which wasn't the one who sold me the car.

I find this car rather bi-polar since from behind the wheel every control from the steering wheel to the radio buttons make the car feel really tight and solid. However, everything you don't directly handle seems to have a mission in life to come together in a cacophonous symphony of creaks, cracks and buzzing noises.

Model Year - 2012
Mileage - 15K
Daily Driver - Yes, 75/25 H/C
Race - No
Long road trips - No (One trip to OR from WA was enough w/o cruise :D)
Mods - Wheels/Tires, STB, Torsion, extra ~40 Lbs of stereo in the trunk
Minor Issues - As most others report, interior on this thing creaks and rattles like no other
Major Issues - None

Model Year - 2014
Mileage - 6000km
Daily Driver - Not-too-daily car, often swaps with my Corolla. ~20km city route with the worst traffic imaginable
Race - Hits redline at any given chance on empty highway
Long road trips - 750km driven over a day with roads full of unavoidable potholes
Mods - Just take a look at my signature
Minor Issues - Rattlings and shifting coin changes inside the middle glove box. The car once seems to not recognizing my keyless entry even the keys are inside, thus the ignition wouldn't turn on
Major Issues - Nope
Were the Issues covered under warranty? I removed the coin changes. Turns out i left my keys inside with opened doors for a long period, after doing some random key pressing, everything's back to normal.

Model Year - 2012
Mileage - 35,400 mi.
Daily Driver - Y. Previous commute was ~94 mi. day round trip; new one is ~4mi. to park and ride. Used for weekend errands
Race - N
Long road trips - Y, Sacramento to Seattle (~800 mi.), done 2 times
Mods - N
Minor Issues - Y small rust on hood where car was scratched (unsure how)
Major Issues - N

Overall amazing car - my daughters are already clamoring for it, even though the older one won't be driving for four more years.

Back