Mazda2 reliability discussion. How is your Mazda2 holding up?

Model Year - 2012
Mileage - 12,000 k/m
Daily Driver - Yes
Race - no
Long road trips - no
Mods - Yes, wheels, blacked out badging
Minor Issues - Yes, squeeky bushings
Major Issues - Yes, oil leak at timing cover, waiting for parts
Was the Issue covered under warranty? Yes

Model Year - 2011
Mileage - 31,000 miles
Daily Driver - Yes
Race - Of Course (TSD Rally, Track Days, Autocross)
Long road trips - Yes
Mods - Yes, wheels and tires
Minor Issues - Yes, squeeky bushings and air bag blinkey (check connector under seat)
Major Issues - None
Was the Issue covered under warranty? N/A

Model Year - 2011
Mileage - 35,000 miles
Daily Driver - Yes
Race - Has been on the track 2 times
Long road trips - Yes
Mods - It sat on Ksport Coilovers for 1 year no problems :)
Minor Issues - None
Major Issues - None

Model Year - 2012
Mileage - 14,500
Daily Driver - Yes
Race - 3 local autocross events
Long road trips - ~150 miles round trip a few times.
Mods - oem armrest/cargo net, 70 duro AWR dogbone mount, +25HP from all decals combined.
Minor Issues - Lost my oem windshield to a rock from an electrician's truck, new windshield has taken 2 rocks so far(our windshields are magnetic to rocks).

Had one very strange incident, i stalled on a slight incline(misjudged it), and when i tried to turn her back on the starter didn't really know what to do, it sounded like trying to start a car that was already on, but it definitely wasn't on(had the light on for the battery/oil pressure, which usually come on when you stall). After turning the car all the way off, then back on, it started right up. Hasn't happened before or since.

Major Issues - None

Had one very strange incident, i stalled on a slight incline(misjudged it), and when i tried to turn her back on the starter didn't really know what to do, it sounded like trying to start a car that was already on, but it definitely wasn't on(had the light on for the battery/oil pressure, which usually come on when you stall). After turning the car all the way off, then back on, it started right up. Hasn't happened before or since.

At an autocross, after a nice spin, mine did the same. I guess the dash lit up not because it stalled but because the ECU had a brain fart. When I hit the starter, the car was running. And I did the: When you spin, both feet in. Go figure!

Model Year 2012 Touring MT
Mileage 12405 miles
Daily Driver Yes, mixed
Race Yes, autocross about 6 events so far, many more to come
Long road trips - 150 miles one-way to race events
Mods Yes, wheels, tires, rear bar, dampeners, springs, cosmetics
Minor Issues Heater Vent (small plastic tube piece) fell out from under dash, re-installed
Major Issues No
Were the Issues covered under warranty? - N/A

Haha, mine went out at exactly 10.000 miles. Warranty covered it. No problems since.

Sooooo that's like 3 or 4 people just in this thread that has had a fuel pump issue. And keeping the fuel gauge at 1/4 or more at all times isn't even possible unless I fill up almost everyday cause I can kill a tank in 2 days no problem...

Sooooo that's like 3 or 4 people just in this thread that has had a fuel pump issue. And keeping the fuel gauge at 1/4 or more at all times isn't even possible unless I fill up almost everyday cause I can kill a tank in 2 days no problem...

Well, I can that mine is usually driven until no bars are showing on the gas gauge and the E is Blinking. I am over 10K milage with no problems now, so I wonder if there is some other factor?

Actually, up until that happened, I never let it get low enough to see 2 bars. Now I fill up when I need it, or when gas is cheap.

It looks like we have found a common problem with our cars. That's the whole point of this thread and why I started it. I'm going to do some more research on aftermarket fuel pumps and see if I can find one that we can use for the Mazda2

Model Year - 2011
Mileage - approx. 13,000
Daily Driver - Yes (approx. 10 mile daily commute, 90% city)
Race - No but getting an itch.
Long road trips - One or two over 300 miles but it's generally an "around town car" (wife's TDI gets better highway mileage)
Mods - None, and deperately trying to keep it that way!
Minor Issues - I've had the passenger's airbag light fail to turn off/on occasionally and in colder weather there's some creaking/popping from the rear.
Major Issues - None
Was the Issue covered under warranty? n/a

Model Year - 2011
Mileage - approx. 14,002
Daily Driver - Started out life as a daily/shop car, now full time racecar
Race - Yes
Long road trips - I have had several back and forth trips to Seattle from Vancouver
Mods - What B-Spec allows
Minor Issues - None
Major Issues - None

-Derrick

Model Year - 2012
Mileage - 9,000km
Daily Driver - yes
Race - next summer
Long road trips - none yet, but this summer Montreal to Gasp and back
Mods - Rear torsion bar
Minor Issues - front rotors need changing, giving shacking under light braking
Major Issues - None

Model Year - 2011
Mileage - 31,000
Daily Driver - Yes
Race - No
Long road trips - Yes
Mods - No
Minor Issues - Airbag blinky, brake shudder, squeaks & rattles
Major Issues - None

Model Year - 2010
Mileage - approx. 34,500
Daily Driver - Yes ( 32 ish daily with 50+ weekend runs )
Race - Certainly Not Officer
Long Road Trips - Japfest Castle Donnington via Coventry & back 300+
Mods - various as per build thread
Minor Issues - None
Major Issues - None as yet
Was the Issue covered under warranty ? n/a

FYI- the Mazda 2 kicks gas pumps off prematurely. This is why everyone is only getting 8 gallons in, there isn't 4 gallons in the tank when the gauge is on empty, that would be silly. SLOWLY put another 1-2 gallons in after it kicks off. 9-10 gallons every time.

2011 Mazda 2 Touring Manual
40,000 miles
Daily driver
Frequent long trips of 400+ miles
No racing, but lots of on-road abuse
Aftermarket wheels, struts, spring, intake, and muffler

Roof leaked, fixed under warranty. A/C and heater are non-existent, dealer says there isn't anything wrong. Switchblade key kept coming unsnapped, fixed by dealer.

From what I can gather from this thread is that it looks like we have indentified two common problems with our Mazda2's

- The fuel pump prematurely failing
- And the airbag light

I've also had the issue with the gas pump shutting off prematurely. Mazda said the fuel system checked out OK, and they were unable to verify the problem when they filled up the tank. I've never noticed it in any other car, but with the 2 many pumps will shut off with room for 1-2 more gallons. I try to keep a mental list of which pumps at which stations to avoid.

Back