Why can't smart key fobs be smaller?

Okeano

:
CX-5 GT AWD
I can understand the size of the ones you need to press buttons for. There's got to be room for buttons that aren't too small to press and yadayada. But using the same fob for smart entry is just a waste of space if it just needs to hold the spare key, battery and short range signal. Without the space needed for the buttons and long range radio, smart keys should be able to be smaller and thinner, yet we're still stuck with these big things. I haven't seen any aftermarket options for more compact smart fobs.

Maybe just to help keep people from losing them or to make sure it makes a loud enough noise when you drop it to be noticed? In my IT experience, the smaller the USB flash drive, the more likely people are to lose them.

You can chain them to your other keys though. It's just so bulky and uncomfortable to keep in pocket.

Mazda used to offer a credit card size keyless entry fob. I am going with what robertmazda is saying. Fobs for Merc, BMW, and Audi are all bigger than Mazda's unit.

If it works the same as my keyless system the fob also allows remote operation which I use quite a lot to check my car is locked before bed time, especially on holiday with the car parked next to the caravan.

Plus it has to carry a battery, and key.

It would be interesting if they offered an optional accessory smaller one with no buttons. I guess it would still be helpful for it to have the key hidden in it just in case you come back to the car and find the battery dead.

Last edited:
It would be interesting if they offered an optional smaller one with no buttons. I guess it would still be helpful for it to have the key hidden in it just in case you come back to the car and find the battery dead.

Yeah, a smaller fob just built around the key, with just enough room for the the battery and sensor.

Then Mazda would have people complaining about losing and breaking their tiny fobs. Can't satisfy everyone...

Then Mazda would have people complaining about losing and breaking their tiny fobs. Can't satisfy everyone...

It's got a keychain ring, put it with your other keys. Door keys are small, and most people find ways to not lose them that often. And it would be an optional thing instead of standard.

Back