New member! 2011 Mazda2

Smudgey

:
2011 Mazda2 Sport
Hi everyone,

My name's Jack and I just became the proud owner of a 2011 Mazda2 Sport 4AT. We have owned the car since October of 2012, but the car was my fathers until we decided to trade cars. He got my 2011 Kia Forte and I got his 2, which we nicknamed "Tommy" because its True Red paint makes it look like a giant car-tomato.

Last October, it was bought with 35,000 miles, after it started its life with a rental company. It was a bit beat up, with broken floormat clips, no cargo shelf (one of the pegs it rests on is also broken), lots of scratches and paint chips on the rear bumper, and some odd fabric stains. My Dad didn't do much about it, but I made makeshift floor mat holders with push-pins and got most of the paint scratches out with rubbing compound and touch-up paint.

My plans include lowering springs (anyone have problems with Tanabe springs?), 16" wheels, a Webasto sunroof, and the OE roof rack.

My old car (now my Dad's):
SAM_0246.jpg

The "2":
249036_151859104995188_236125109_n.jpg

603615_151859138328518_660411745_n.jpg

Hmm, I wonder if that is a rental I have driven in the past....

It was originally registered in the northeastern U.S. and found its way down to Florida when the warranty was about to expire. It is also missing the cover over the cigarette lighter, someone apparently couldn't figure out how to open it so they tore it off completely.

Does any of this damage look familiar?
null_zpsf78858a6.jpg

null_zps956c9a68.jpg

null_zpsb792244e.jpg

I recommend staying with 15" wheels. Wheels and tires are cheap and the selection is fantastic. Spec Miata and STC race series use 15x7 wheels as do spec e30 and a few others. The 4x100 pcd is used by many cars.

@Joker2, would you recommend 195/50/15 or 205/50/15? I am looking at aftermarket rims, specifically the Enkei classic Compe, and the majority of them are 15x7 which is too wide for the stock tires. Will either of these rub with lowering springs?

15x7 is not too wide for the stock tires. That being said, 195/50 is the way to go in my opinion (though 205/50 is a more common size so there are more options, and in many cases the 205 will be cheaper). The compe's are low offset so be prepared to do some fender work if you want a significant drop.

15x7 is not too wide for the stock tires. That being said, 195/50 is the way to go in my opinion (though 205/50 is a more common size so there are more options, and in many cases the 205 will be cheaper). The compe's are low offset so be prepared to do some fender work if you want a significant drop.

Would fender work still be required with a 40mm offset wheel and a 1.7F/1.6R drop? I am looking at the 15x7 Kasei K4Rs and 195/50/R15 tires, plus DF210 springs. This is all a bit new to me, my Kia was a much more common tire size and offset.

You'll be good to go with those Kosei's. 15x7 +40 is nowhere near an aggressive fittment. I'd guess you can go to about a +35 on a 15x7 without having to do any fender rolling on those springs. I love the K4R's though, one of my favorite wheels. If possible, I'd recommend throwing on the corksport adjustable dampers at the same time, since I'd bet the stock units won't last long or ride well with that drop.

Yokohama s-drives and bfg sport comp 2's are great tire options in 195/50 (unless you want max performance for auto-x or track). I'm running Kosei K1-TS 15x7 +38 in 195/50 s-drives.

Where in FL do you live? I lived in Cooper City (broward co.) before I moved to north GA 7 years ago.

You'll be good to go with those Kosei's. 15x7 +40 is nowhere near an aggressive fittment. I'd guess you can go to about a +35 on a 15x7 without having to do any fender rolling on those springs. I love the K4R's though, one of my favorite wheels. If possible, I'd recommend throwing on the corksport adjustable dampers at the same time, since I'd bet the stock units won't last long or ride well with that drop.

Yokohama s-drives and bfg sport comp 2's are great tire options in 195/50 (unless you want max performance for auto-x or track). I'm running Kosei K1-TS 15x7 +38 in 195/50 s-drives.

Where in FL do you live? I lived in Cooper City (broward co.) before I moved to north GA 7 years ago.

Thanks so much for all the advice. Over the summer I'll get the parts together - the Kosei's, DF210 springs, Yoko S-drives 195/50 (going for these, I want all-seasons but there are none available in that size), and the dampers. I could actually run the Enkei Classic Compes because they are +38, but I prefer the light weight of the Kosei wheels. Now I just need to see about getting a Touring spoiler, although I'm iffy about drilling into the painted metal.

I live in Saint Lucie County, have done since I moved to America 8 years ago, but I'll be moving to Pensacola in August.

Good alternative to the S-Drives is the BFG Sport Comp 2. Both very good performance tires. 195-50-15 is ideal on 15x7. These tires are excellent Spring to Fall but I could not recommend them bellow 40 degrees. If you want all seasons, look at the Michelin Pilot Exaltos.

Last edited:
Back