Guide How To Disable Daytime Running Lights (instructions)

Did you apply the parking brake first?

Color me stupid, I did not realize that when you put the vehicle in park, the DRL's turn off. My previous vehicle (2002 Jetta) only turned off the DRL's when the parking break was activated. So there's no way to verify it worked unless you're able to put the car in gear to see if they're on. Took me a few days to notice the DRL's were on as I was driving behind others. I tried several times, with the parking break on, to get it to work, but am still unable to.

Steps I did:

P brake up
ACC, ON
Brake
P lights x5
Haz push X10
P lights x5
P brake down

No lights.

I think the trick is to do this as quickly as possible without any hesitation. Don't wait for the actual lights to apper (P lights, Haz lights). When doing the haz 10x, use 4 taps per second.

I've attempted the steps 20+ times from both the comments here and from the printed sheet I got from the manual to re-activate DRL. I can't get it to work. I'm going to call around for different Mazda dealerships in my area if they can help (or see if there's a bigger issue) because the one I purchased my CX-5 from are more or less useless.

Welp, I'm an idiot. I emailed the manufacture (VLEDS) regarding the DRL problem, and they replied:

"These bulbs have an operating voltage range of 9-18v. Your DRL system voltage is below the operating range, that's why they only light up when you flip the high beam switch. You may be able to install a relay harness, resistors, and voltage booster (any combination of those items) to get full voltage to the bulbs."

I'm admittedly a bit irked that they don't have this disclaimer on their page before you purchase them, but again, I'm new to the car world—I was sure that you just plug them in and it works. I might sell the LEDs because I'm not entirely sure I want to spend an additional $60+ (from ALREADY spending $70 for these bulbs) and mess with more internal wiring just to get my DRL bulbs from amber to white. Oh well. Sorry to spam / clog up this thread.

Nothing to do for me.
I'm pretty sure to have exactly follow the instructions, but it seems that on my european model the procedure doesn't work.
As I installed the eBay DRL leds and I don't want both (stock and new) running, I'll have to look for the right cable to disconnect (the place where #51 fuse should be is empty!)
Does anyone know which color is the DLR cable?
We make DRLs, our DRLs looks as following picture show(this is one picture customer send to me). I am not sure if the light you buy from eBay is the same as my design, if yes, then you will find a power control box, there are three cables, ACC, BATT and GND, just disconnect these 3 cables, then DRLs will not work any more; hope this can help you.
http://www.catecardvd.com/products/...light-led-day-light-for-mazda-cx-5-cd250.html
Mazda_CX-5-3.jpg

Welp, I'm an idiot. I emailed the manufacture (VLEDS) regarding the DRL problem, and they replied:

"These bulbs have an operating voltage range of 9-18v. Your DRL system voltage is below the operating range, that's why they only light up when you flip the high beam switch. You may be able to install a relay harness, resistors, and voltage booster (any combination of those items) to get full voltage to the bulbs."

I'm admittedly a bit irked that they don't have this disclaimer on their page before you purchase them, but again, I'm new to the car world—I was sure that you just plug them in and it works. I might sell the LEDs because I'm not entirely sure I want to spend an additional $60+ (from ALREADY spending $70 for these bulbs) and mess with more internal wiring just to get my DRL bulbs from amber to white. Oh well. Sorry to spam / clog up this thread.

Thanks for posting this. I was planning on buying some when they get back in stock. Guess I won't.
Now any suggestions on what to use instead? I've bought the cheap 18 LED ones on eBay and after a month or two, they either die, flicker, or break off and fall into the headlight.
I want a white color to match fog light LEDs I have. wished there were bulbs that could do it.

I just ordered these: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
There's another one that says Samsung on it for $10 more: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)

Last edited:
Having DRL's is one of only two discounts my insurance company offers for safety features. The other discount they offer for is automatic seatbelts, a feature that hasn't been built into a car since the mid '90s. I love USAA, but they seriously need to catch up on more modern safety features, and offer a discount for them - BSM, SCBS, Anti-lock, Traction control, etc. are all items for which I should get a discount.

Just my two cents though - I can not fathom why someone would want to disable DRL's.

Here is the reason I want to...we are driving through a Christmas lights drive through. I only want to disable them a short duration. This is frustrating.

Maybe I'm missing something obvious but what is the advantage of disabling the daytime running lights?

I'm not sure I would even know if mine were on or off.

So I can drive through the Christmas lights display without bothering everyone around me..

So I can drive through the Christmas lights display without bothering everyone around me..

You can do this very easily by pulling your parking brake up 1 click until the (Brake) light shows on the dash. This shuts off the DRL. Since its only on click (I doubt it even engages the brake at that point) and I assume you won't be driving for long periods of time this won't create any excessive wear on the brake itself.

Just my .02

You can do this very easily by pulling your parking brake up 1 click until the (Brake) light shows on the dash. This shuts off the DRL. Since its only on click (I doubt it even engages the brake at that point) and I assume you won't be driving for long periods of time this won't create any excessive wear on the brake itself.

Just my .02

I want mine to stay on even with parking brake applied, can this be done and if so how, seems strange that all other manufactures drl's stay lit all the time

I want mine to stay on even with parking brake applied, can this be done and if so how, seems strange that all other manufactures drl's stay lit all the time

Hmmm I don't know about keeping them on all the time. They shut off in park and with the parking brake applied. There is obviously a switch/interrupt in the wiring. My 2010 Subaru WRX does the same thing. Its a 5 speed and as soon as you pull the parking brake the DRL's shut off. I have only had experience with two cars with DRL but the act the same here.

I agree with the 'want'. But it's not true that all other manu's cars stay on when the parking brake is on. GM cars do not do that, for one (they go off with the handbrake).

I have a 2015 GT w/o tech package. I installed one of the fog light cover LED kits. Found this on another Mazda Forum. Worked the first time I follow it.

HERE'S HOW TO DO IT:

SETUP:
1) car set to ignition (car is active, but engine is off)
2) press brake pedal down and hold during the whole time
3) parking brake up

START:
you have to do the whole process once you start under 23sec.
4) turn parking light on and off 5 times. on - off - on - off - on - off , etc.
under 2 sec start #5
5) turn hazard light on and off 5 times. (Press switch 10 times)
under 2 sec start #6
6) turn parking light on and off 5 times.

DONE:
7) to check if the DRL still comes on, simply disengage the parking brake. If it doesn't come on, then you're done. Otherwise repeat the process again.

Last edited:
I have a 2015 GT w/o tech package. I installed one of the fog light cover LED kits. Found this on another Mazda Forum. Worked the first time I follow it.

HERE'S HOW TO DO IT:

SETUP:
3) parking brake up

START:
under 2 sec start #5
under 2 sec start #6

DONE:
7) to check if the DRL still comes on, simply disengage the parking brake. If it doesn't come on, then you're done. Otherwise repeat the process again.

If car is in P when doing this, the DRLs won't come on, parking brake or not. To test whether the procedure has worked, release parking brake, start car, and shift out of P.
I tried this many times and it never turned the DRLs off -- it did shut my fogs off, though (they started working again a day later). I gave up and bought LED replacements.

Doesn't anyone read the manual? It is all in there with the step-by-step directions, plus so many other interesting self-setups. You should try reading it or leave it in your bathroom for those times when a good read is wanted.

Doesn't anyone read the manual? It is all in there with the step-by-step directions, plus so many other interesting self-setups. You should try reading it or leave it in your bathroom for those times when a good read is wanted.

Here's what my manual says:

The following “Personalization Features” are available. These settings can only be changed by an Authorized
Mazda Dealer

Daytime running
lights
The function of the daytime running lights can
be changed
Factory Setting: On
Available Settings: Off

You can avoid doing all of that by simply pulling the fuse for DRL's.

Bingo. The day I brought my home, I pulled the DRL fuse. It's even labelled "DRL" in the fuse box diagram (left side, 4th or 5th fuse down from the top while standing in front of the vehicle). Took 30-sec.

Gary

Does anyone outside the USA market tried this?
I tried it on my japan spec CX-5 and did not work.
Thanks!

Thank you for the info. Just picked mine up on Thursday and will have to look at doing this after work. Hate DRL.

Bingo. The day I brought my home, I pulled the DRL fuse. It's even labelled "DRL" in the fuse box diagram (left side, 4th or 5th fuse down from the top while standing in front of the vehicle). Took 30-sec.

Gary

HERE'S HOW TO DO IT:

SETUP:
3) parking brake up

START:
under 2 sec start #5
under 2 sec start #6

DONE:

This definitely works. Did the trick in one try for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back