Guide How To Disable Daytime Running Lights (instructions)

So I'm lost on 2 steps for my 2018.
Do I switch from off to auto, side light of full on?
Last step, after I complete the steps with feet on brakes, do I start car then disengage parking brake?

I copied this from somewhere, saved on my computer, but download the PDF in post #1, it has a picture for you.

I start with my lights switch in the off position.
Engaged emergency parking brakes.
Push ignition button twice.
Step on the brake and keep foot on brake the whole time.
Turn light switch to parking lights then back to off 5 times really quick (have to scroll pass auto if you have auto lights).
Then hit the hazards 10 times really quickly (basically on and off 5 times)
Turn light switch to parking lights then back to off 5 times again.
WAIT AT LEAST 5 Seconds
Disengage emergency parking brakes.
Release foot from brake pedal.
Push ignition button once to turn off.

Your DRL should be disabled now. Repeat steps to enable

Last edited:
Thanks! This work! This last part needs to be on it!

Push ignition button once to turn off

Got it on the first try. Not sure if I'll leave it that way though, I actually prefer the way it looks with the Parking Lights switch on, i.e., center round headlight off but halo and flat side lights remain on. It's technically illegal to drive in my state with just the parking lights on but this configuration looks similar to many other manufacturers' DRL's so I'm sure the popo wouldn't notice. I'll get stopped for the 25% tinted side windows long before having the parking lights in motion.

IMG-1275-1.jpg

Got it on the first try. Not sure if I'll leave it that way though, I actually prefer the way it looks with the Parking Lights switch on, i.e., center round headlight off but halo and flat side lights remain on. It's technically illegal to drive in my state with just the parking lights on but this configuration looks similar to many other manufacturers' DRL's so I'm sure the popo wouldn't notice. I'll get stopped for the 25% tinted side windows long before having the parking lights in motion.

I agree, that's the best look we can get on KFs.

Don't the DRLs come on with the parking lights when you get in gear [when they're not disabled]?

I copied this from somewhere, saved on my computer, but download the PDF in post #1, it has a picture for you.

I start with my lights switch in the off position.
Engaged emergency parking brakes.
Push ignition button twice.
Step on the brake and keep foot on brake the whole time.
Turn light switch to parking lights then back to off 5 times really quick (have to scroll pass auto if you have auto lights).
Then hit the hazards 10 times really quickly (basically on and off 5 times)
Turn light switch to parking lights then back to off 5 times again.
Push ignition button once to turn off.

Your DRL should be disabled now. Repeat steps to enable
Again, for the record, here is an official copy of instruction to disable the DRL function for CX-5 obtained by bigtex from his Mazda dealer:

Is this the file:
527847dde9533ee284148c4c246937a3.jpg

Although the descriptions are diffetdnt in the last several steps, but they achieve the same purpose.

I agree, that's the best look we can get on KFs.
Yes, this way is the best looking setup on LED accent DRLs. 2016 and 2016.5 CX-5 have this way.

Don't the DRLs come on with the parking lights when you get in gear [when they're not disabled]?
Good question. On my 2016 CX-5, since the DRLs dont use low-beam LED headlights, LED DRL halos dim a bit when you turn the light switch to parking light position. Also the amber halogen parking lights / turn signals will be on (although I disabled the amber lights on parking).

I went by the PDF in post #1, I will repost here Courtesy of Rhino_66. I just found those other written instructions by someone else and it answered the poster question. No offense intended to anyone.

In response to Mantra7: "It's technically illegal to drive in my state with just the parking lights on"...
"Parking Lights" (at least here) are considered the orange lights on the side and or front of the vehicle. Things have changed since the advent of halos and leds strip lighting, but you can see technically the orange lights are lit as well. Check your local statues to see when they were written, but I think you are safe. (2thumbs)

Attachments

• Mazda CX-5 Daytime Running Light DRL Deactivation.pdf
    331.6 KB · Views: 782
Does anyone know if this should work for a CX-30 too? For reference CX-30 has the electronic parking brake and Auto headlights. I’ve tried the different versions several times but no success thus far. Thanks.

Traction control can and does safe lives...

I counter traction and stability control extremely unsafe simply because it lulls people with questionable driving skills on a clear, dry, day to drive far faster than their abilities allow them to skillfully and safely deal with the 'stopping' part of the foul traction equation. Have you ever pushed a car w/ these features to its limit to 'deal' with what you are asking those systems to compensate for? If you have, then you would not make such statements.

...DRL doubt factors into anything calculatable.

Unless, you inadvertently pull out in front of someone, under the right conditions because you didn't see them coming and get T-boned.

Have you ever pushed a car w/ these features to its limit to 'deal' with what you are asking those systems to compensate for? If you have, then you would not make such statements.

Are you saying that these modern safety features actually kill more people than they save?

Are you saying that these modern safety features actually kill more people than they save?

It helps put drivers in situations most should not be in. All I'm saying is traction control and stability control assist in forward movement and lulling the driver in to believing 'conditions' are rosier than what they actually are. Human nature pushes the skinny pedal down more. What ensues as a result is people drive far too fast for their ability and skill set, and worse, have no real understanding that these systems have limits. And then ya gotta stop or maneuver suddenly under these questionable conditions. Now we rely on the other tech to make that happen, when in fact, maybe, the machine shouldn't have been being operated in the fashion it was in the first place. When the limits of the tech everyone so heavily relies upon are exceeded, the ensuing wrecks are far worse than if one could 'feel' the vehicle's behavior and the road conditions themselves (it used to be called learning how to drive), they would then drive accordingly. Trust me I automate 'stuff' for a living, tech can not save stupid. Saving lives and technology...we could debate that until the end of time. Yes and no, good and bad, sometimes or not.

As far as DRLs go, I prefer to see some idiot coming at me from a mile away as opposed to not. With lights ON, DRL or otherwise, you have a clearer picture of what's coming at you and it's easier to gauge its rate of closure.

@Ronzuki, the question remains, are the safety features saving lives or taking them. This is not based on your opinion. I don't know the answer, but your comments beg for one.

Couldn't tell you...there are many things in life that fail to bear the yes or no stamped answers. I'm merely trying to raise awareness that this technology is no substitute for common sense and ability. All you have to do is look at the never ending cases where reliance on failed and/or misguided use of tech has caused death. It's been referred to on this forum many times... 737MAX. Classic recent example. The so-called safety features themselves are not taking lives per se, merely the side effects of having said features likely causing a false sense of security in less than knowledgeable, less than capable individuals which can then lead to wrecks. Because why? When the tech stops working no one has a clue how to do anything.

Saving lives...that's all relative isn't it? I may be alive afterwards, but in what state, and what future quality of life? So, what you ask for, the definitive yes or no...well that's a lot of data to plow through, contained in a lot of places, within a lot of studies. I'd start where the money is, the insurance companies. I'm sure they have a ton of data they're not likely to share either. Not enough hours in my lifetime to sort it all out. Keep in mind, data is also only as good as the questions being asked, and who is being honest about answering them. I do a lot of data gathering before an automation project...let's just say I might as well not bother many times. The resulting analysis of the data is also a form of opinion. Maybe more concrete backed by some data (factual?), but an opinion regardless. Much like a court ruling...it's an opinion delivered.

All I know is I see some pretty horrific accidents on roads where I never used to see anything, ever, on clear dry days wondering...how in the hell did that happen? No one wants to hear the study of how smart devices in operation while driving is taking lives, ask questions about that and the response is "ongoing investigation, it's a legal matter, or my favorite the privacy card...that's a taboo topic because everyone can't live 2 seconds w/o their cell phone while they're driving. Therefore, you will never hear me call any of this newfangled 'so-called driver assist' technology that. "Distracted Driver Assist Technology" is its primary purpose...to help avoid your deaths thus saving lives. Vicious cycle no? This 'stuff' is merely a crutch for distracted drivers, and IMHO that is were the answer to your question can be found. Good Luck.

I grew up driving V8 rear-wheel drive cars and trucks w/ manual everything (brakes, steering & trans) on the worst tires imaginable. It took both hands, arms and legs and pretty much full attention on far less crowded roadways to operate most of them. I sure wouldn't drive that technology like I drive my current vehicles. I may even be coerced into admitting I'm lazier and not as cautious about my driving as I was then...maybe. Why because the tech allows me to be.

I was able to get my 2018 GT on the first try, but I traded at the beginning of the year for a new 2019 GT and have tried many times to turn them off, once I start driving, they turn back on. :unsure:

The only thing that gave me a problem in the directions was to "turn on the ignition". I was using a single push to the start button and having failures. Once I realized that it took 2 pushes of the start button to turn the ignition on, the procedure worked perfectly.

Back