Guide How To Disable Daytime Running Lights (instructions)

Took about a thousand tries, but it finally worked! Really did not like them on with the sun out, much better now. Even though there is a setting in the infotainment to dim them, they are still way too bright on the dimmest setting.

So this works for a 2018 too? Where in the infotainment can you dim them? Did not see that

Sorry guys, might be a dumb question, but the fog lights being on permanently would be a different issue right? The diagram in the PDF points to the DRL being a bulb in the main headlight housing, which I currently do not have on. I guess I could go out and try this procedure before asking, however hoping someone might have some insight here. Not seeing anything when I google "fog lights permanently on, 2016 CX-5". Thinking this could be a bad switch, which if this is the case, i'll be pulling the fuse.

So I was able to disable the DRL after a few hundred tries. If I only want the halos on, it would be on the parking light setting correct? Is there a way to run the halos without the parking lights on ? I was driving the other day and saw another CX-5 in the opposite direction with his halos on and when he passed me, I noticed his parking lights weren't on in the rear.

So I was able to disable the DRL after a few hundred tries. If I only want the halos on, it would be on the parking light setting correct? Is there a way to run the halos without the parking lights on ? I was driving the other day and saw another CX-5 in the opposite direction with his halos on and when he passed me, I noticed his parking lights weren't on in the rear.

Correct. Just parkers

If you want just halos then you need to buy a halo light conversion from Japan.

A fellow member did just that. You need to peruse the site to find their posts.

Wondering if anyone's successfully disbaled their dlr on a Canadian (Ontario) 2018 ?

Wondering if anyone's successfully disbaled their dlr on a Canadian (Ontario) 2018 ?
I believe you can't disable the DRLs in Canada because DRLs are mandatory in Canada. Mazda Canada definitely won't let you to disable DRLs for legal consideration.

You can always pull the fuse though. ;)

I imagine you all want to know how to remove seatbelts and airbags next.

I figured that one out all by myself.

81RMeFTtCZL._SL1500_.jpg

Worked the first time!

Someone here posted the YouTube video that shows the procedure.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Uc5GsAsoJb0

One of the commenters mentioned he moved from Canada to Florida and successfully did this on his Canadian-purchased Mazda (I forget the model). He claims that the American dealer had no idea how to do it.

As others have said, you gotta stay legal for your region.

I recall reading an article over 30 years ago stating that daytime headlights were required in Canada, because research says they reduce accident rates by 5% (makes you easy to see if your car blends into the background). So I've been in the habit of driving with my headlights on ever since then. I just hope these LED lights have a long life. It's not like going to the parts store & getting a 2 pak of Sylvania bulbs.

Last edited:
I got it to work on about the fourth try. As others have said you have to be fast and it helps to memorize the steps. I printed out the instructions and had them in the car when I tried it. Glancing down at the instructions for the next steps was enough to slow me down so that it didn't work the first few times.
I checked the fuse block diagram as I was considering installing a rocker switch to turn the DRL's on and off at will but they apparently are part of another circuit and not on a separate fuse.

Latest posts

Back