Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: How-To: Disable Daytime Running Lights (instructions)

Registered Member

How-To: Disable Daytime Running Lights (instructions)

Here are the ridiculous instructions for disabling the 2013 Mazda CX-5 Daytime Running Lights. This is no longer done through the diagnostic computer.

Timing for the procedure is critical. If you miss a step, the procedure will fail and you will have to start over.

The tech at my dealership could not get the procedure to work. The service manager and I did get it to work, but it took several tries. I think the tech was pushing the hazard switch on and off 10 times, not 5 (he was pressing the button 20 times, not 10).

Daytime Running Lights are NOT required by law in the U.S. Other countries DO require daytime running lights, so be warned.

This thread is not for the debate of disabling the daytime running lights. If you want to do that, start a different thread.

The daytime running lights can be reactivated with the same procedure.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Registered Member

2014 CX5

Thank you!!
    2014 CX-5 AWD

Registered Member

Wow! That is just ridiculous. But thanks!

2014 CX-5 Touring FWD Tech Pkg

Put thread in How To section. Personally I like DRLs

Mazda CX-5 '14 GTw/Tech

Thanks for the info. I do however feel dumber having read that. What a joke.

Registered Member

2014 CX5

Quote Originally Posted by dergibog View Post
    Thanks for the info. I do however feel dumber having read that. What a joke.
    Why is that? It works. Manufacturers put things in this so you don't inadvertently activate or deactivate some option. I had to do something similar to turn off the seat belt warning in my Fathers F-150.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

2014 CX-5 Touring FWD Tech Pkg

Quote Originally Posted by Park2670 View Post
    Why is that? It works. Manufacturers put things in this so you don't inadvertently activate or deactivate some option. I had to do something similar to turn off the seat belt warning in my Fathers F-150.
    Because it's stupid. DRL is not a major system or high safety feature. Traction control is and can be disabled with a single push. Traction control can and does safe lives, DRL doubt factors into anything calculatable.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Mazda CX-5 '14 GTw/Tech

@ park ^That^ Well said nXt. Oh, by the way, I think they forgot a step. Pat your belly three times and turn two circles. Unreal.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 FWD Touring

I tried this last night on my 2014 touring, and it didn't deactivate the DRLs. I've re-read the procedure and I may have paused more that 2 seconds after pressing the brake and starting the switching, so I'll try again. I like the DRLS during the months that are generally overcast and rainy. During the summer, I'd prefer to have them off.
    Thanks

Chris W

2014 CX-5 FWD touring

Registered Member

2014 CX5

Quote Originally Posted by dergibog View Post
    @ park ^That^ Well said nXt. Oh, by the way, I think they forgot a step. Pat your belly three times and turn two circles. Unreal.
    While I do agree with you, its not a huge deal to me. In my 335d, everything is programmable with easy clicks on the iDrive screen. This fun dance isnt too bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwstnsko View Post
    I tried this last night on my 2014 touring, and it didn't deactivate the DRLs. I've re-read the procedure and I may have paused more that 2 seconds after pressing the brake and starting the switching, so I'll try again. I like the DRLS during the months that are generally overcast and rainy. During the summer, I'd prefer to have them off.
    I thought I had done it correctly on my 2014 as I switched into D and didnt see lights, but sure enough next morning I saw them again. Ill have to try the procedure once more. Ill let you know if I can get them to stay off.

Registered Member

2014 CX-5 GT w/Tech - Meteor Grey

Quote Originally Posted by nXt View Post
    Because it's stupid. DRL is not a major system or high safety feature. Traction control is and can be disabled with a single push. Traction control can and does safe lives, DRL doubt factors into anything calculatable.
    Having DRL's is one of only two discounts my insurance company offers for safety features. The other discount they offer for is automatic seatbelts, a feature that hasn't been built into a car since the mid '90s. I love USAA, but they seriously need to catch up on more modern safety features, and offer a discount for them - BSM, SCBS, Anti-lock, Traction control, etc. are all items for which I should get a discount.

Just my two cents though - I can not fathom why someone would want to disable DRL's.

Donated: $15

2013 CX-5 GT AWD w/tech (Mar'12-Jul'14)

Good info, thanks, glad (US) CX-5 owners have the choice.

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Sig

Is it possible these instructions are missing a step? I ask because I tried them without success, but something about Step 7 (confirm DRL setting) seems off. It says verify by releasing the parking brake; if DRL is activated DRL will come on with park brake off and go off when park brake is on (so if you've succeeded in turning it off, the DRLs won't come on when you release the parking brake). However, starting this procedure from a stopped and parked car (engine off), Step 7 won't work because the car is in park, so the DRL won't come on regardless of park brake engagement. So it would have to be in neutral for Step 7 to work, right? But the instructions don't say anything about the gear selected. Am I missing something?
    Last edited by cleverusername; 05-09-2013 at 05:45 PM.

Registered Member

CX-5 Grand Touring

Worked for me on the first try. I have to admit, I felt like the dupe of some joke while I was turning the lights off and on. But the instructions looked real enough. No misspelled words like that email from that Nigerian prince. I don't like DRLs because when it gets dark, it looks like my lights are on when they're not, so I'm running around with no tail lights.

Registered Member

Mazda3 and CX-5

Quote Originally Posted by Texas Mazda Fan View Post
    Worked for me on the first try. I have to admit, I felt like the dupe of some joke while I was turning the lights off and on. But the instructions looked real enough. No misspelled words like that email from that Nigerian prince. I don't like DRLs because when it gets dark, it looks like my lights are on when they're not, so I'm running around with no tail lights.
    The Grand Touring model should have Auto setting for the headlights which will turn them on automatically when it get dark. There are even settings in the radio that allow you to select how dark you want it to be before they turn on.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast