Guide How To Disable Daytime Running Lights (instructions)

I do respect Rhino_66's directive not to make this into a DRL debate and I'm glad he gave us the Mazda procedure to disable DRLs for owners preferring to do so (the purpose of this particular thread).

Related to discussion about DRL's (answering above question and not wanting to start a debate) and the "why's":

. DRLs are not required by law in the US.
. Studies showing improved safety resulting from DRLs are questionable and sources possibly biased.
. Many motorcyclists would prefer 4 wheeled vehicles to not have DRL's, that way motorcycles with required (US) DRL's would stand out better for improved safety (versus being in a sea of DRL-equipped cars and therefore motorcycles not standing out). Haven driven in Canada and seen what it's like to see virtually all cars running DRL's, and resulting saturation.
. The dim yellow lights of common DRL's are not attractive to some, many prefer the Audi-style white LED DRLs from a styling perspective.
. Notes: Some GM light trucks have override/off switches for DRLs, upon restart the DRLs function normally (default). Mercedes cars (US) make the DRL function driver-selectable via simple menu. CX-5 DRLs are not good "parking lights", they turn off when car is in Park.

It's the idiots that think their headlights are on because there is "some" brightness in front of their car. They're too clueless to notice there is no dashboard illumination. I see it all the time...

Actually, you have it backwards.
Now that most dashboards are always lit up, with digital speedometer readouts, and other gauges, most people see that their dashboard is all lit up, and don't have a clue that they forgot to turn on their headlights.
No matter how much flashing of your lights you do at them at an intersection, they still stay completely clueless.

BC.

I don't want to debate, I'm trying to learn what the benefit is.

Some people don't like the DRL's to be on.
Others don't want those bulbs to wear out prematurely.

It's their car, and there's no law to tell them otherwise, so it's fine by me, either way.

Personally, I just don't like having DRL's on my cars, but on my motorcycles, it's a different story.

BC.

Some of us mil would prefer being able to turn off DRLs from time to time. The sentries at the gates request that we turn them off for better visibility of the driver. My old car's natural headlights were DRLs and sentries would hate that I couldn't lower them.

That's weird, the DRL is in no way bright enough to blind a security guard while you pull up to him.

That's weird, the DRL is in no way bright enough to blind a security guard while you pull up to him.

IMO no surprise, not weird. No lights or parking lights are significantly dimmer than DRL's, by design. Security guards prefer less glare (therefore no DRLs or headlights), so they can better see the vehicle and occupants for security reasons.

so, there is a konami code for the cx-5. :)

Pretty much! This is what I thought when I read it too.

I finally got the sequence right and was able to turn off the DRL in the '14 Sport Manual.
Success came down to frustration. After many attempts, I ended up losing it and put the code in as fast as I could... and it worked.

Steps I did:

P brake up
ACC, ON
Brake
P lights x5
Haz push X10
P lights x5
P brake down

No lights.

I think the trick is to do this as quickly as possible without any hesitation. Don't wait for the actual lights to apper (P lights, Haz lights). When doing the haz 10x, use 4 taps per second.

Are the Daytime Running Lights the low beam headlights if you have the HID option, if so I assume the cost of replacing the HID lamps more often would become a factor?

Are the Daytime Running Lights the low beam headlights if you have the HID option, if so I assume the cost of replacing the HID lamps more often would become a factor?

No.
in cars with factory HID, the DRL is in the high beam area. It is used ONLY for DRL.
Factory HID is in the low beam area and turning on high beams triggers a flap of some sorts inside to make the light beam high.

Also HID bulbs last years and years and years compared to regular bulbs.

Last edited:
This seems an awfully complicated procedure. Hasn't anyone just pulled the DRL fuse? (#51 under the hood.)

This seems an awfully complicated procedure. Hasn't anyone just pulled the DRL fuse? (#51 under the hood.)

@@**&& The 2014 Grand Touring is no fuse under #51 so how to disable this ???

apgu.jpg

Aggh... my bad. The DRL fuse and relay only exist for the halogen headlight cars.

The HID headlight DRL is directly powered by the BCM. But then HID owners can simply disconnect the connectors to the DRL bulbs (those bulbs are not used for anything else).

Aggh... my bad. The DRL fuse and relay only exist for the halogen headlight cars.

The HID headlight DRL is directly powered by the BCM. But then HID owners can simply disconnect the connectors to the DRL bulbs (those bulbs are not used for anything else).

Thant exactly what I did... thanks

i wonder...

does this procedure work on European models too ? i got a mid 2012 model, no auto headlight version.

i could not disable the DRL. tried few good times..

I was pulling fuses/adding and messing around to get the drl's to stay ON with the headlights but couldn't figure it out.

I was pulling fuses/adding and messing around to get the drl's to stay ON with the headlights but couldn't figure it out.

I'm glad your couldn't figure it out. :)

Not a good idea to have the DRL's on with your headlights. The DRL's are aimed way higher than the regular headlights and are a blinding to other cars. It's like driving around with your brights on at 50% all the time.

Back to the topic at hand.. I wish there was a switch to turn the DRLs on or off whenever I want.
That way I could have them on around town and on one-lane highways but off on the freeway where they provide no benefit and waste ~50W of power (50W = .06HP!!), strain the alternator a tiny bit and slightly use up the high-beam bulbs

Back