Stock tint %?

tweety2300

:
2001 mazda protege mp3
So I know that all the windows including windshield have a small percentage of tint to them. Does anyone know what exactly the tint is? Particularly the windshield as I'm about to have the one in my 323 replaced and would like to add a slight tint to it and the protgs is exactly what I want, plus I want to make sure I don't go too dark if I ever tint the windows in it

I don't know for a fact, but hopefully I can help you out a bit

When I got my protege5 it had stock tints that were TERRIBLY faded and just looked like garbage (im guessing these were stock but I have no way of knowing)
since they were so faded, they barely looked like tints but I would say it was around 50% stock most likely
On the windshield there is only a factory tint strip above the AS1 line... don't know the percent either but I do know for a fact that the entire windshield does not come factory tinted.. and I high reccommend against tinting your windshield, it is hard to see at night and is asking to get pulled over..

Since then, I stripped off all the tints and put 20% tint all the way around (all windows, hatch) and am going to do a limo tint (5%) strip on the windshield above the AS1 line this summer.
35% is legal in my state, but so far I have been fine with 20's, no problems yet..
Still debating to myself if it would be worth it to limo tint the sun roof/moon roof

Hopefully this helped

I know mine does as you can clearly see the difference with the 2 parked side by side or Switching from From the 323 to the protege when its bright out.It's not much by any means but its there I'm going to guesstimate 90-95%. I wasn't planing on doing a whole lot. I've seen people do 50% and that is way too much. and by the time I get around to it won't be a daily and won't be driven at night often an will have antique tags which means ill be able to get away with alot of stuff

Window tint laws applies to all cars driven on public roads, antique and non-antique. I don't consider a 323 as a real antique, but you can register as an antique if it's 25 years or older. It's a joke because I've seen a ton of cars with antique plates that weren't "show-quality" antique cars but were rusted-out beaters used as the daily driver.

http://www.tintlaws.com/laws/VA/

Last edited:
I'm not saying it wouldn't be illegal I'm saying most cars with antique tags can get away with a lot more than normal especially exhausts and you don't have to have it inspected. I have seen a few cars with antique tags with A lot word than a 90% windshield tint

Also unless its changed, there is no limit on back window in va. I know of multiple people that have painted them or just simply spray painted them

I have 90% accross the windshield but it can't stick down more than 5" from top of black border around the edge to get inspected in TX. Other than that, none of the other windows came tinted or had privacy glass. I got car new from dealer. Here I think 35% is max on front and rear doors but rear and sides that don't roll down can be whatever.

I can garuntee mine has a tint on all windows. And I won't have to worry about inspections

I'm not saying it wouldn't be illegal I'm saying most cars with antique tags can get away with a lot more than normal especially exhausts and you don't have to have it inspected. I have seen a few cars with antique tags with A lot word than a 90% windshield tint

Well, yes. You can tint your car with limo tint if it really is a show car. I was an ex-cop in a county in Virginia so I know the Virgina laws. Basically, antique registration was originally intended for owners of show cars to drive their cars to and from car shows and events and not to be used as a daily driver. So inspection wasn't really necessary if the car is hardly going to be on the roads. So show cars can have those chrome covered headlights, lack of seat belts, etc. There are owners who register their old vehicle as an antique to by-pass getting the inspection. A couple indicators that a person is trying to circumvent getting regular registration is that you seem them driving their car daily. It's like there is no car show going on every day, every week, and every month. You work the same beat and the same hours so you see the abusers of the antique registration rules. Same thing with FARM-USE tags.

Back