How loud is it inside the cabin?

jabba

:
2008 MS3, 2008 CX-9
Looking at getting a CX-5, but looking at recent Consumer Report reviews it appears that road noise is quite pronounced inside the cabin (then again, it also appears that the Rav 4 and CR-V also have road noise).

We own a CX-9, which is relatively quiet, and a Mazdaspeed 3, which is relatively loud inside the cabin. Wondering where the CX-5 falls in comparison to those two cars.

I like my Speed3 and how "unrefined" it is, but I certainly wouldn't want that in the CX-5.

Thanks.

I don't think it's loud at all.

Used a decibel meter on my test drive and found the same sound level as the interior of my BMW.

The diesel version is much nosier than most of the competition at 70mph, the CRV and Q3, are the quietest.

But the Mazda is quite compared at 30mph.

I've driven four different cars on road tests, and found it noisy on the motorway at speed, mainly wind noise, sounded like the top of the screen, on that model the wing mirror was also vibrating.
The others didn't sound noisy, and I didn't notice any mirror vibration, but I didn't try those on the motorway.

Looking at getting a CX-5, but looking at recent Consumer Report reviews it appears that road noise is quite pronounced inside the cabin (then again, it also appears that the Rav 4 and CR-V also have road noise).
Take a test drive and judge it for yourself.

Ford Motor Co. Did sound testing with real subjects and found that the characteristics (frequencies, harmonics, etc.) of the cabin noise were more important to owner's perception of cabin noise than absolute sound levels as measured with a sound meter.

I find the cabin environment quite pleasant at the speeds I tend to drive most (40-70mph) and I arrive at my destinations feeling relaxed and refreshed.
e

Ford Motor Co. Did sound testing with real subjects and found that the characteristics (frequencies, harmonics, etc.) of the cabin noise were more important to owner's perception of cabin noise than absolute sound levels as measured with a sound meter.

They did something right finally, it's true. If someone hates the car and finds something to complain about they will whine about every creak, bump, noise it makes.

Honestly the sound at highway speeds is not noticeable at all unless you love to drive with the radio turned off and all alone, then you may hear some noise just like every single vehicle out there.

I read the same article in CR and laughed. Even with 19" tires the cabin is very quiet at all speeds within and not within posted speed limits. Even flooring from a stand still is a non issue.

Its the tyres that can cause some noise, when i switched to Barum Polaris 3 during the winter months, it was much quieter

I find Consumer Reports to be a bit bias at times with their write ups. As for noise in the CX5 I don't notice it that much compared to other cars in its class

I find Consumer Reports to be a bit bias at times with their write ups. As for noise in the CX5 I don't notice it that much compared to other cars in its class

The issue is that there is no other magazine that offers useful data for the average consumer. I also read Motor Trend, Car&Driver, etc, but those "reviews" seem to downplay many negatives a car might have in favor of talking up performance.

But good to know that interior noise is nothing to be too worried about.

try and see for yourself ... your perception and not some journalists.

If not the best turn up the music :)

The issue is that there is no other magazine that offers useful data for the average consumer. I also read Motor Trend, Car&Driver, etc, but those "reviews" seem to downplay many negatives a car might have in favor of talking up performance.
The June issue of Car & Driver has a comparison test between 2014 CX-5 and 2013 Forester and Rav4. Included is sound level date at idle, full throttle and 70mph cruise. Reslulet were as follows:

CX-5 Forester Rav4
Idle dBA 40 42 40
Full Throttle dBA 76 73 73
70MPH Cruise dBA 70 70 69

BTW: the Cx-5 won the comparo. (Sorry about the formatting; hope this is understandable)

Last edited:

The correct answer has been given above...try one. The review testing with a db meter is really only a rough guide as it yields a relative loudness measure without detail on the frequencies that most contribute to the "noise". I only bring this up as I discovered a while back that this is an important consideration that cannot be easily measured.

With an apology for the digression, the fan motor failed on my furnace and I had it replaced. Following this I complained about the furnace noise; a noise not heard by the technician nor my spouse. Company replaced with another example of the motor to no effect. Frustrated with the "that's all we can do" response I went to another company who supplied a compatible motor from another manufacturer - problem solved.

To MY ears, the CX-5 is quieter urban than the 1999 Volvo S70 it replaced. It is slightly noisier than, but not objectionably so, the previous hauler on the highway. I cannot offer a purchase recommendation based on cabin noise level.

Brian

There is an Acura dealership next to the Mazda one and me and the wife test drove both the CX5 and the RDX back to back. If you are coming from a semi-lux car the noise difference is pretty noticeable. We still haven't decided what to get but the RDX was 36k OTD (FWD w/Tech). I will be testing a Santa Fe on Wed so I can chime in after that.

Compared to our current Mazda3 the CX-5 is quieter. Compared to my 13 year old S4 the CX-5 is noisier.

Try the new 2013 Ford Escape and compare to the CX-5. I find it significantly quieter at anything over 40mph. I'm comparing diesel variants. It is not worth my while commenting on low speed noise comparisons because engine noise begins to take over in diesels.

I haven't seen any DB readings for the Kuga, but it came last in a group test with the Mazda CX-5, and Santa Fe, all diesels

The DB readings record noise, whether its tyre noise, wind noise, or engine ,gearbox, drive train, noise is noise and isn't ignored at any speed.

I read the same article in CR and laughed. Even with 19" tires the cabin is very quiet at all speeds within and not within posted speed limits. Even flooring from a stand still is a non issue.

I've also read conflicting reviews from differing sources regarding noise. I was very surprised to read about noise complaints in CR, as I found my 2013 CX-5 (17 inch wheels) to be as quiet or quieter than the CRV I traded. There is a bit more tire noise now with about 19k on the odometer. The engine is a bit noiser than usual upon startup, but quite pleasant after warmup at highway speeds.

I just traveled 1300 miles in my in laws new CX9 and the interior noise to me is about the same. Funny thing is Consumer Reports says the CX5 is very noisy and the CX9 is not. I used the same DB meter app on my phone and got about the same reading of 75-80 db. Tire noise is the prominent noise in both of them while you can also hear the engine working in my CX5 more than the CX9. I came from a 2001 Toyota Tundra and interior noise to me seemed much less in that truck than either the CX9 or the CX5. I've also had a 2012 Mazda 3 rental for a few days and it seemed interior noise in that car might have been a bit higher than the CX5.

For me interior noise is my only complaint because it is tiresome on long highway excursions. The positives of this CUV still outweigh this one negative.

Bose claims to have noise cancellation in the CX-5. My CX-5 GT is very quiet especially compared to my Corvette which has no sound insulation and huge tires...

The Toyo 19's transmit low amounts of road noise in GT.

Engine noise at high revs is typical for inline 4, not especially pleasant.

Engine noise at high revs is typical for inline 4, not especially pleasant.
When climbing the steepest part of the pass to my local ski hill I am in 4th gear pulling 3000-4000 rpm. The sound level of the engine is very moderate and I actually like it. But during a pedal to the floor pass the revs go all the way to redline and, I agree, then the sound is not as pleasant.

Back