lowering the car on stock springs??

maykop5

:
protege5
I might get flamed badly for this but i have no choice right now.

i want to lower my car and i dont have the 100 bucks to order springs and new shocks. i have a 10 month old and the money i spend on the car i rather spend on her.

so i have been debating on cutting the stock springs. just to give the car a better stance cuz it just cant keep looking that way it dose anymore.

i do not drive it on twisties, have alot of hills or bumps where i live and do not race the car. i just drive to work and back 40miles each way pretty much stright shot.

i know if i cut the springs the car will be bouncing alot or somewhat but like i said i dont do any type of racing or cornering.

jsut wondering how much of the stock spring i can cut to kinda achive a 2in drop in the front, and 1.5in the back.??

if anybody had this done before.

im not trying to be ricer or anything like that i just want that look but cant afford it right now. so please dont hate to much.

thanks mayko.

You'll wear out the struts faster, the ride isn't 100% smooth so it will bounce, even more so when you wear out your struts. It would be better to save your money and hope something comes up in the FS section.

^ +1, and I got 2 kids so I understand but just trying to get the kids to pass out in the back will become a pain in the ass when you have a rough ride like that. I would highly suggest just waiting until you can afford some springs.

well, you will get s*** from someone on here, i guarantee it......be prepared for arguments about spring rates, damaging this, damaging that, bouncing, blah blah blah...people seem to forget that that's the way it was done before adjustable coil-overs were made and you could order springs off the internet.

BUT, before i mounted my megan springs, we cut a full coil off from where it's cut from the factory (JUST FOR s**** AND GIGGLES) and it was about a 2 inch drop, maybe a little more. I would highly recommend not going anymore than that because of the potential dangers you could encounter, not to the car, but you (kind of contradicting, i know) i dont have any pictures because it wasnt on there long enough, and i have no idea how it would drive.

Also: would you be doing this or taking it somewhere? because it would probably be easier to just order the springs on line, rather pay a shop to cut springs.

I might get flamed badly for this but i have no choice right now.

i want to lower my car and i dont have the 100 bucks to order springs and new shocks. i have a 10 month old and the money i spend on the car i rather spend on her.

so i have been debating on cutting the stock springs. just to give the car a better stance cuz it just cant keep looking that way it dose anymore.

i do not drive it on twisties, have alot of hills or bumps where i live and do not race the car. i just drive to work and back 40miles each way pretty much stright shot.

i know if i cut the springs the car will be bouncing alot or somewhat but like i said i dont do any type of racing or cornering.

jsut wondering how much of the stock spring i can cut to kinda achive a 2in drop in the front, and 1.5in the back.??

if anybody had this done before.

im not trying to be ricer or anything like that i just want that look but cant afford it right now. so please dont hate to much.

thanks mayko.
How do you know how much to cut off?
The springs will be uncompressed when you remove them from the strut assembly?

How do you know how much to cut off?
The springs will be uncompressed when you remove them from the strut assembly?

You basically cut straight down one coil at a time until you get the height you want

If you have $50 you could buy some eBay coil sleeves, or buy some from a Honda owner for $20. They're pretty much universal. Only difference is how wide the shaft is which you can fill with just about anything or beat them on if you'd like or cut and weld the sleeves and then weld the collar wherever you want / need

well, you will get s*** from someone on here, i guarantee it......be prepared for arguments about spring rates, damaging this, damaging that, bouncing, blah blah blah...people seem to forget that that's the way it was done before adjustable coil-overs were made and you could order springs off the internet.

This +1. There is nothing inherently "wrong" with cutting your springs, other than to make up for the lower ride height you want a stiffer rate. Cutting springs will raise the rate but not enough to compensate for the drop. It's also a crapshoot as to how much to cut and you'll be removing/installing the springs too many times if you are specific about what height you should end up with. Save the $150-$300 until you're ready.

Back