hissing sound on gas

znal

:
02 Mazda Proteg5
Hey guys,

I bought an ebay short ram intake and installed it back in Feb. Nowadays when I give it gas, it makes a brief hissing sound, definitely coming from the intake. This happens when I step a little hard on the gas pedal kind of suddenly kicking it instead of gradually giving it gas. Idle is normal, same with gradual acceleration; nothing unnatural. It kind of sounds cool actually, but I'm wondering if I have a leak somewhere? Anyone have the same experience?

My P5 has that too. I'm about 95% certain that's the initial rush of air getting sucked into the filter when you punch the throttle; it's a sound that the factory intake box system is designed to suppress. Carmakers tend to like their engines to be as quiet and smooth as humanly possible (with some exceptions.) My P5 is the first non-Neon I've owned but when I put a CAI on both of my previous Neons, they got the same sound, and the Neon forums all accepted it as perfectly normal, and pretty cool. My dad's Mustang (2000 GT 4.6) also got the same sound when I put a CAI on for him, though it's much less noticeable under the rumble of the engine.

I say relax, punch the throttle more often, and enjoy the sound of a free-er intake. :)

Latest posts

Back