bump in my trunk making volts drop

whatusername

:
02 protege5
Hey guys i couldnt find another thread like this so here goes.. I just installed a lil bump in the trunk just 2 10"s in a box with a 1200w amp and it hits nice n hard but on my radar detector it has voltage and when im bumpin and at idle my volts drop to low 12's high 11's till i give it gas then it ups to 13-14 volts what could be causing this?

That 1200w amp can draw 100 amps at full power (assuming that's RMS continuous power and not instantaneous peak power) and that's not including the power that is wasted in generating that music power in the amp itself. (the amp may draw something like 1800w to make 1200w of music power,... that's 150 amps at full snort)

Our Alternators only generate 59 amps at 1000 rpm and I'm sure even less at the 720 rpm idle speed,... so the amp starts to draw out of the battery to make up the difference.

Underdrive pullies slow the alternator rpm down even more so the effect would be even more extreme.

Our alternators put out a maximum of 80 amps at a higher rpm.

currentoutput_zps2792b075.jpg

The big three has something to do with replacing or adding to the main ground and power wires to help provide more power with less resistance.
I think that kinda makes sense except you still need to get that power from somewhere. A big capacitor on your amp would help smooth out the power demands and help to stop the pulsing of the voltage when the bass kicks in but even that capacitor needs to be charged up and it's gonna come from the battery if the alternator is maxed out.

Your only real option is to get a high output alternator or of course just simply turn it down when you're idling.

I found this thread,... bikingpro say's he's done the big three and relocated his battery and has no issues with the stock alternator,.. so maybe a high output amp isn't necessary ???

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123796375-BIG-3-UPGRADE-Oddyssey-Battery

Last edited:
I wouldn't recommend getting a capacitor... when it comes down to it, it's basically a temporary, weak battery..
it would be more efficient to put a second battery (kinetiks are good) in your trunk.. but first you should get a HO alternator to power it
just my opinion

I wouldn't recommend getting a capacitor... when it comes down to it, it's basically a temporary, weak battery..
it would be more efficient to put a second battery (kinetiks are good) in your trunk.. but first you should get a HO alternator to power it
just my opinion

I agree completely,... there is a lot of smoke and mirrors and voodoo science when it comes to car stereo. I took a lot of electronics in school and alway judge stereo analytically.

If it were me, I'd put a 12V sealed lead acid battery from something like a 12V weed eater or something and mount it as close to the Amp as possible with thick (but not too crazy) and short wires connected in parallel to the Pos. and ground of the amp. People say that a capacitor has "faster discharge" speed but I was playing with rechargeable lead acid battery (about 3"x5"x5") and accidentally touched the wire across the terminals. It was wire a little thicker than bell telephone wire and it instantly turned red hot and melted.

That's a pretty fast and powerful discharge in my books. I'm pretty sure the same wire would have just discharged one of those huge 1 farad caps with a spark and no melting. Those caps can be hundreds of dollars and a new smaller lead acid battery can be $10 or $20 at a surplus store. (a normal motorcycle, atv or lawn mower battery would work too but you might have to worry about leaking acid in your trunk .)

Speaker and amplifier specs can be misleading as well. I remember looking at an in-dash head unit years ago with '300 watts' printed on the side. If the amp in that head unit really put out 300 watts RMS continuous, it would melt the dash in your car and probably start on fire. Upon closer inspection it only put out 20 watts continuous but will put out 300 watts for a microsecond (max peak power) as will any amp. That 20 watts was with 10% distorsion too.

Speakers too are misleading,.. it's not the power handling capacity that matters it's the SPL (sound pressure level measured db watt meters) that really has an impact. That spec tells you the sound pressure of a driver (speaker) measured one meter away from the driver with a 1 watt input. The really high power handling drivers (especially woofers) tend to NEED a lot of power to be loud. They tend to have a SPL of less than 90 db sometimes in the low 80's. If a woofer has an SPL of 80 db's it needs 100 times more power to be as loud as a woofer rated at 100 db watt meters.

If you can find a woofer that puts out a SPL in the high 90's and can still handle high power, then you've got some real sound power. (every 3 db increase in SPL of a driver reduces the power demand by half to be as loud)

I have issues with that super thick and expensive monster cable and such. I bought a pair of old school home speakers from a guy (Cerwin Vega 12TR's,... 100 db watt meter with a max of 120 db at 100 watts) who had two 6 foot speaker cables attached to them worth $800,... made out of gold. I took the speakers apart to find the equivalent of bell telephone wire inside the speaker itself.

I was talking to a guy at a stereo shop about monster cable and he took me into a sound room to tell me that his brother works at a government lab that tests speakers in an anechoic chamber he said all the use is lamp cord to do all their testing. Monster Cable has less resistance so it's more efficient but hardly worth the money. Spend your money on quality drivers instead,... way more bang for your buck.

The power feed wires to a car amp are a different story,... they deliver huge amps and need to be thick,... I just used welding wire,.. it's a lot cheaper and works fine,... it's nice and flexible too.

I kinda drifted off on a tangent there but I think it still relates to the OP's question.

Last edited:
Yea,... high power amps demand a lot from an alternator and can wear them out pretty quick.

well.. it wasnt the alt.... it turns out that when the original alt went on me a couple weeks ago it looked like it had a meltdown on the windings and when i replaced it i noticed the main power wire for the alt looked cooked like burnt copper but was still functional and had continuity so i just hooked it back up. well last night i lost charge and tonight i went to replace the alt again and found the main power wire has broken off the eyelet. that is y i am not charging... so off i go tomorrow to get another wire from alt to fuse box. now i do not have 0 gauge at the moment but i do have 4 gauge and i was gonna go to the junk yard n get that wire from a protege but i was wondering can i just use the 4 gauge or do i need the one it came with? (black/White Stripe)

well.. it wasnt the alt.... it turns out that when the original alt went on me a couple weeks ago it looked like it had a meltdown on the windings and when i replaced it i noticed the main power wire for the alt looked cooked like burnt copper but was still functional and had continuity so i just hooked it back up. well last night i lost charge and tonight i went to replace the alt again and found the main power wire has broken off the eyelet. that is y i am not charging... so off i go tomorrow to get another wire from alt to fuse box. now i do not have 0 gauge at the moment but i do have 4 gauge and i was gonna go to the junk yard n get that wire from a protege but i was wondering can i just use the 4 gauge or do i need the one it came with? (black/White Stripe)

That is one of the wires of "the big three". If your 4 gauge is as thick or thicker than the original (the actual wire inside the casing) then you should have no problem using it. It would probably be a lot better than something from a junk yard,... that stuff would be just as old and brittle. Making your own can definitely be an easy and relatively cheap upgrade.
Make sure you get some good quality end terminals for the wire and try to both crimp and solder the connections on.

well i went ahead and got the stock wire from the 1 and only 2.0 protege in the whole friggin junk yard and checked it out n it looked like it was in good condition.. i popped it in re loomed and re taped it all up and all is good she is charging nicely.. i didnt do the wire upgrade cuz my 4 gauge was in the trunk of my sisters truck and she was at work and i needed my p5 for work tomorrow plus i wanted the stock one there and will add the 0 gauge later when i do the big3. and i read somewhere the p5 used 6x9 speakers in the door and while i was in the junk yar i happened to see an amp cable in a cars trunnk so i looked in a low and behold a set of kicker 6x9's i snagged em bought em fixed my car test drove went back home happy as a pig in s*** and went to pull the rear door panels off (Epic Fail) lol cant get em off damn grab handle i read that u just pull it off but i tried n didnt work.. so i took a peek on the bottom and it uses 6.5's grrrrrr i wonder if i can make the 6x9 fit by cutting the metal or should i just get 6.5's.

Back