Parts for axel backinstall

kosteniuks17

:
Mazda Protege5 2003
Alright so ive tried getting an answer on a previous thread but no one has replied. I just bought a mazdaspeed axel back exhaust and looking forward to install it this coming weekend. Im away from the car due to work travel right now so Im not sure what exactly the installation process involves. I was wondering if there is any welding that must be done for the hangers. I think the hangers just hook up to a rubber holder thing right? I bought the p5 length so I know I wont have to shorten the pipe at all. Also a question in terms of what gasket I need to get for the connection. I bought a gasket that is like the oval/ diamand shape with two holes in it. But i think i saw on a previous thread that I need a circular rubber gasket. Which one do I need, part number if you could. Could you all just give me some advice and heads up so I have the right materials to work with. Thanks for the help. Really excited about getting it in.

Should be plug n play. The oval metallic gasket is the correct one. Rubber would only melt. The hanger rods on the axleback go in same place as the oems. Once you get under there you'll see. Just unbolt the oem axleback at the flange and use a long screwdriver to push the hanger off each rod and it'll be off. Might use a dab of grease or wd-40 to get the hanger rods off. Installation is just the reverse, hang it and bolt it up. I've got one coming to replace the Magnaflow axleback on mine.

Dude awesome thanks for the advice. It should be up within the next few days. Good luck on your install.

What is your reasoning going to a mazdaspeed in lieu of the magnaflow? I am just curious as I have not heard in person either one in action. I have checked out a few youtube clips of them but I am sure the vids do not do the tones justice. I do have a new mazdaspeed awaiting installation when ever I track down some new urethane hangers. I am running a N1 now that I am ditching because its sound is a little to raspy and rice for me. However I am looking forward to my mazdaspeed being installed soon.

You mostly answered your own question with the raspy and rice. And the giant tip, and because it was good price, and because I always has mod bug, and because I like oem parts, and hoping it is a bit quieter, and because I can etc etc etc. I'll find out this weekend which one will win...............

Did they have header/hiflo catted midpipe/2.25 piping with resonator all the way out? Mine is low rumble deep.....until the gas pedal is used. Much pedal at all and it is alive and squawkin. lol. Dunno if I'm gonna swap to MS axleback tho because it looks like 2" piping. Not sure how well a 2.25 flange and 2" flange will seal up and what back pressure might this build? Would it be beneficial or negative to mpg's? It's a nice piece but unless I use it with oem piping just not sure about results. I do have another Magnaflow street series muffler that is 2.25" inlet but quieter than the race series on there now. May just be going back with that one.

Got the MSP axel back installed after rounding a nut and having to cut the bolt off. Anyways as a review to anyone who is interested in it. The sound is awesome I love it from the 0-60 range. But they are right about the droning at highway speed. A little loud, thats probably cause our cars are revving at 3-3.5 at highway speeds. The thing is when you have the gas down a little on the highway it is quiet but as soon as you let it off it'll make a pretty loud exhaust note when off the gas coming from 3.5 down the rpm gauge. Just letting ya'll know, but I love it so far and plan to keep it for a while. Thanks for the help guys.

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the MSP exhaust at highway speeds. I was about to pull the trigger but since I do drive interstate regularly, I'm afraid the droning will cause me to not like it after a while.

I just installed the same axle back, and I love the sound of the exhaust. I seemed to have caused some other issues in relation to the cat, but that isn't the MSP's fault. I just manhandled it too much. I don't find it drones too too loud. I used to drive an 89 Chevy truck with a V8, though...Around town, it is pretty deep and relatively subdued. It isn't loud unless you really get on it.

Back