Anybody use the Motive power brake bleeder? which cap size fits our 2?

ReggNoble

:
Mazda, 2 Touring 5speed
Tried to change the brake fluid on the 2 using the two person method but couldn't get out that much fluid.
So I am going to use the Motive power bleeder to flush the brake fluid.
Does anybody know what cap size (part #) fits our master cylinder?
I would like an adapter that screws directly on instead of a univeral which may not seal tightly
Thanks,

Bump. Brake job this morning didn't go as planned. Car veers right under braking, so there must be air in one of the left lines. Was getting tons of air bubbles despite only putting new fluid in (not changing lines). Amazing how much crud was in the OE fluid after only 36k miles.

I've heard good things about the Motive products but never used one myself.

Anyone chime in on brake bleeding issues with ABS vehicles in general? I always see the warnings that fluid bleeding isn't as simple as old non-ABS vehicles.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?

There was a post on here awhile ago where a member figured out that opposite wheels were on the same brake line circuit, so the ideal bleeding order would be criss-cross (lr, rf, rr, lf). Today I sucked out the old fluid from the reservoir, filled it up with fresh fluid, and then proceeded to pump the fluid through. The rears went fine, though I was getting lots of air out of the front. Tons of black crap in the lines.

That was me.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123839236-Anybody-else-bled-the-brakes-on-their-Mazda2

For ABS bleeding without a scan tool, bleed like normal, put wheels back on, go drive on a dirt or gravel road, stop hard to lock up/activate ABS on all 4 wheels to cycle the ABS pump, then go back and bleed it again.

OP: pay particular attention to this part of my post.

HERE IS WHERE EVERYBODY COMPLETELY SCREWS IT UP!!! IMPORTANT: DO NOT under ANY circumstances let your helper "pump up the brake pedal." All they are doing is aerating the fluid and introducing more air into the system that you just started bleeding. It is a LOT easier to get out one large air bubble than it is to get 10,000 little micro-bubbles out of the system. The smaller the air bubbles, the more likely they are to stick to the walls of the inside of the tubing... letting fluid go around the air defeating the purpose of bleeding.

FWIW Mazda officially specified the normal RR, LR, RF, LF order but its my experience that is not optimal if any air is present for the reasons stated in my linked post.

Last edited:
That was me.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123839236-Anybody-else-bled-the-brakes-on-their-Mazda2

For ABS bleeding without a scan tool, bleed like normal, put wheels back on, go drive on a dirt or gravel road, stop hard to lock up/activate ABS on all 4 wheels to cycle the ABS pump, then go back and bleed it again.

OP: pay particular attention to this part of my post.

FWIW Mazda officially specified the normal RR, LR, RF, LF order but its my experience that is not optimal if any air is present for the reasons stated in my linked post.

Thanks! Guess I'll go do some abs braking than give it another try. Good info here, hopefully I can pursuade my wife to help me bleed them again.

I just got done using the Motive Brake Bleeder kit with the 1101 universal adapter to bleed my brakes. It worked out OK, and got the job done, but I'm sure there is a better fitting cap. It was a gigantic PITA to get set up. I'm thinking the 1107 or 1108 cap might work well, but haven't gotten one to try out.

Gave up on this method and tried gravity bleeding. Starts slow at the rear passenger but goes faster when getting closer to the fluid. Very reliable method.

Update! I grabbed an 1107 and it was far too large, so I traded it in for an 1108 (the GM and Mustang cap) and it fits perfectly and seals well with the thicker gasket.

Update! I grabbed an 1107 and it was far too large, so I traded it in for an 1108 (the GM and Mustang cap) and it fits perfectly and seals well with the thicker gasket.

Thanks for the update! I may finally pick one up myself come spring time. I've used one years ago and it was great.

Back