P0171 code, yet no symptoms...

20ES

As the title states, my car is throwing a P0171 bank 1 running lean... I just hooked up an OBD and used the torque pro app on my phone and tested the codes out of curiosity. I don't know if this is right or wrong, because I have not had an issues with the car recently. When I start it up it revs at 1500-2000 rpm depending on how cold it is and then slowly start to return to idle as the coolant rises, so I'm pretty sure this is normal. Any suggestions?

the high idle at startup is normal. have you checked for exhaust leaks? or maybe a bad 02 sensor?

I have the exact same code ATM. Mine is a vaccum leak, check the accordion part of your intake hose for cracks. Could be the same problem as me because its very common :)

Exhaust leak is unlikely as I haven't seen anything leaking, and as for O2 sensor as far as I know a CEL would appear, at least that's how it is on a Honda. Vacuum leak is a possibility as I have never checked the intake hose, so I will take a look at that tomorrow.

Cheers

Exhaust leak is unlikely as I haven't seen anything leaking
, ???? Lmao you wouldnt see anything leaking with an exhaust leak....... i have the same code ATm and my symptoms are poor fuel mileage and low idle 600 rpm and a slight surge on acceleration most noticeable in 2nd gear

Don't ask me what I was thinking last night... (hand) So I will check for that today, though my fuel mileage hasn't been affected and rpm is around 700.

So the intake hose is cracked, the place I went to has no parts in stock and they need to order one. I used electrical tape to cover it up for now. Regardless I don't think that resolved the issue... I checked for exhaust leak but I didn't find any sort of cracks or holes anywhere, there is a whistling noise coming from the exhaust manifold area, I don't know if that may be it, I have seen some youtube videos suggesting that as a possibility.

well, fix the intake and try that. That's what im doing. Gives me and excuse to get a SRI :p.

I used duct tape to fix the intake hose and it worked for a while. The problem is the filter is mounted on the chassis which causes the bellows to flex quite a bit especially if you have a manual trans. Any backyard repair job will quickly work its way loose. The only fix is a new hose or an aftermarket intake. For my P5 I got an Injen CAI on a forum for $60, for the sedan I bought the replacement bellows for less than $40 on Amazon.

You mention you have the Torque app. Get the real-time readings on the short- and long-term fuel trims. Positive means you're running lean, negative means rich. +/- 10% is about normal. If it hits over 20% and stays for a while that's when the light will trigger. You will see the readings change in real-time as you mess with the leaky intake bellows.

edit - If you wanna get fancy, set the datalogging up to record your STFT and LTFT and overlay it on the map. View your recording after a short run around the neighborhood. You will probably see fuel trims peg the lean side (positive) when you accelerate because that is when the bellows are stretched and leaking extra air past the MAF.

Last edited:
I installed the Amazon replacement today. It's nice and squishy compared to the ripped-up hard brittle stock piece I threw away. Hope it lasts another 140k miles.

not to hijack this thread but mine came back today and i hooked my scanner up and got this... Fuel Sys1 CL Fuel Sys 2 NA Calc Load % 11.8 Ect (F) 187 STFT B1 25 LTFT B1 25 Eng Rpm 739 Vehicle speed 0 Mph.. can someone explain that & help me with this cuz i cannot seem to find a vacuum leak at all but have a good surging under hard acceleration especially in 2nd... i sprayed carb cleaner all over intake manifold and exhaust manifold and on all vac lines and it did not react.

This plus fuel trims pegged at 25% are typical signs of a torn intake bellow.
i checked my bellow and is in great shape i found a vacuum off on the manifold by throttle body and also the vcts solenoid has a vacuum line that had a broken nipple so i just used a wd40 straw for now but do i need that solenoid since i dont have vcts anymore?

Back