Exhaust Tips

You made the right choice. I was an "early adopter" of this mod 2.5 years ago and used 4" tips. Although I wouldn't call them "ricey", they are a little bit disproportionately large to my eye and I wish I had gone 1/2" smaller. They weren't cheap though, especially with the labor charge, so I've never really considered changing them out.

Yea I have a 4" on my Datsun and thought it would overpower the look in the rear. each tip was $40, and $40 to weld them on.
This explains my screen name:

EagleRockcx5, how much it was the welding? I may visit them one of these days. I work by the Rose Bowl, so not to far from that shop.

Hi im new to the thread(not new to owning a mazda tho) i rencently bought a 2016 CX-3. And love the car. I mainly drive in tip tronic with the sport mode on. I love the sound of the engine but looking for a bit more lower tone from the exaughst im not looking for some teenage fart can where its crazy loud just something i can hear when reving a bit higher. Any thoughts on what to buy? Thank you in advanced :)

It states a 2 inch inside diameter. I thought the CX-5's stock tips were 3 inch diameter. ??

I went for 3.5" double-walled tips with a brushed metal finish rather than polished. I think it looks great as it better fills that exhaust tip cutouts.

20160130_104935-jpg.361814

20160130_152424-jpg.361815

20160130_152507-jpg.361818

20160130_104931-jpg.361817

Kind of a stupid question: do the aftermarket tips change the exhaust tone?

Wow, those exhaust tips looks great! sits perfect in the bumper.

CX-5um - No tips do not change the exhaust tone, in this case they're just an aesthetic change, kind of like jewelry. Without getting into details, a different muffler is what would change the exhaust tone.

No, unfortunately they do not change the exhaust note, it's purely aesthetic.

Wow, those exhaust tips looks great! sits perfect in the bumper.

CX-5um - No tips do not change the exhaust tone, in this case they're just an aesthetic change, kind of like jewelry. Without getting into details, a different muffler is what would change the exhaust tone.

No, unfortunately they do not change the exhaust note, it's purely aesthetic.

Well at least tell me they'll add 5hp and 5lbs tq even though its not true LOL.

Hahaha, well they'll add 5 lbs. of weight, so the motor will be working harder, ...so yes, the sound will change. (wink) :D

So, I read through this and just want clarity. If I don't want to cut off anything and just get a clamp on. I'm looking for a 3" inlet and 3.5" Outlet correct?

Searching amazon and stuff and haven't found very much.

I found https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) and I also found https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Don't want to buy these and have them not fit or buzz or anything.

To answer your questions, yes, 3" inlet is the size of the exhaust tip. In my opinion (and what I went for) was a 3.5" outlet, but others have gone for 4" outlet.

The two Amazon tips you linked should work if the screw portion isn't too big as there isn't a whole lot of clearance around the stock exhaust due to the plastic bumper.

Recessed exhaust tips are not a bad thing. If you have them extended past the bumper and you back up into anything and it hits the exhaust tip, the damage may not just be limited to the tip.
I got rear ended in my 626 and other car hit the muffler. Initially I replaced the muffler, but when replacing it would not line up right. Inspecting the mid pipe showed it was little bent. So I replaced that too.
I thought everything was fine. But then noticed my exhaust manifold heat shield was turning black. Took off the heat shield and had two broken exhaust manifold studs (broken flush with then engine , not easy to fix with the room provided ).
The other parties insurance only paid 50% of the cost for the muffler and mid pipe. Nothing for the studs.

any bump on the tips results in a domino effect to what it is attached too.

You have to cut off the original ones, to install these?

Yes, it's kind of a pain in the ass to do it on the vehicle, but would be really easy to do if you drop the exhaust and use an angle grinder...

At least that's the case on the CX-3. Not sure about the 5s...

Back