Exhaust Tips

Well not "anything over" 3". 4" would be optimum (although I suppose 3.5" would work too if that size is available). Not sure what your last comment regarding "swallowing" the original tip refers to, but the larger tip replaces the old one, it doesn't go over it.

Thank you very much paris1. Ok, I think I have misunderstood the whole idea... :) Do you mean that I am supposed to take out the original tips and then install the new ones? I thought that the new ones would just be pushed over the original ones and then tighten the screws/bolts. I think I'll go and take a peek under my car :) thanks again, have a nice day!

You need to stop worrying when another individual's preferences are different from your own. It's good that we have this individualism too - otherwise all of our CX-5's would look exactly alike.[/QUOTE]

Not worried, just a simple question as to your views on modifications, as you seem to prefer stock. But obviously not the case. Just having a discussion;). I do find some of the things you post quite informative, like I say just curious as to your view point because you post so often.

What size is good for the CX-5 exhaust tips if I order aftermarket ones? If I remember correctly the original tips measured 3inches (diameter) so I guess anything over that will fit? Or should the aftermarket tip go inside original tip instead of swallowing it?

Any advice is highly appreciated!

For Best Aesthetics looks you would want to go cut n weld route. Just my 2 cents :)

Or Someone is willing to do this type of mod just for pure sound . Since upgrading a axle back mufflers doesn't produce any horses for the penny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3E9ChRGK3k

For Best Aesthetics looks you would want to go cut n weld route. Just my 2 cents :)

Or Someone is willing to do this type of mod just for pure sound . Since upgrading a axle back mufflers doesn't produce any horses for the penny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3E9ChRGK3k

I am going to do this just for the looks. How do I remove the original welded exhaust tips? I believe after removing those I should be fine purchasing new tips which measure 2"-2,5" inner and 4" outer

I am going to do this just for the looks. How do I remove the original welded exhaust tips? I believe after removing those I should be fine purchasing new tips which measure 2"-2,5" inner and 4" outer
With welding equipment?

What about this one:

$T2eC16N,!ysE9sy0hY3kBRVGBON+zg~~60_57.JPG

That looks like a longer version of the 6.5" Magnaflow tip I used on mine (see post #280 on this page http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123826557-What-Did-You-Do-for-Your-CX-5-Today/page19) At 9" you're going to be too far back into the tailpipe curvature (unless you plan on reconfiguring the curvature of each pipe or having the outlet stick out about 2" beyond the bumper valance. Also, just realized the one you show is 3.5" at the outlet. Mine is 4" which fills the bumper cutout better.

Last edited:
I just bid on two of these on ebay. Thanks P1 for the part number.
Won two for $134 free shipping.

Last edited:
Flowmaster Exhaust Tips

Hey all! After seeing some great pics, I did exhaust tips as well. I measured and the stock tips were 3" in outer diameter, and I found these on https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) and I hoped they would fit. They slid easily over the existing tips with very little play. I took them to a muffler store and for $17.80, had them welded on. Because of the angle cut to them, I decided to have them welded on, turning the top 90 degrees inward and with the inside edge just flush with the edge of the bumper. Since the angle of the cut and the bumper didn't match, this left some chrome exposed, but I liked that better than recessing them further. Since this also left the drain hole exposed on (and now on the side), I put in tiny chrome plugs from the hardware store. When the car was cool (and going to sit overnight) I brushed the edge of the old tips black with flat bbq paint, so they would not stand out as much when looking in.

Overall, I'm really happy. Thanks for the inspiration!

mazda_back_zps46b33cba.jpg

20130803_125041_zps888f0e77.jpg

Atomic: I went through the same thing with the BBQ paint, 'cept I used Hi-temp header paint. The guy who welded mine on left one inner pipe slightly longer than the other and it drove me nuts looking into them from the back and being able to see the difference. So I caulked the raw edge inside and shot it with flat black paint and the problem disappeared. Crazy the lengths some of us go to for "perfection".

paris1: I love your tips! You and felixd's pics are what pushed me over the edge. My 20 month old son has a mild underbite, so I tease that Daddy will never get his Corvette, so I am going to "trick" out the Mazda. :) I went back in the shop and supervised the welding and positioning because I was so paranoid about it. Loved the positioning, and hated seeing the inner pipe, so drove straight to Menard's to get the bbq (hi temp) paint.

I really do think it fills out the back end well.

paris1: I love your tips! You and felixd's pics are what pushed me over the edge. My 20 month old son has a mild underbite, so I tease that Daddy will never get his Corvette, so I am going to "trick" out the Mazda. :) I went back in the shop and supervised the welding and positioning because I was so paranoid about it. Loved the positioning, and hated seeing the inner pipe, so drove straight to Menard's to get the bbq (hi temp) paint. I really do think it fills out the back end well.

I supervised the welding on mine too. It was tough getting everything lined up just right and the guy made a cut that I really wish he had not, which caused the uneven length of the inner pipes. Oh well, sometimes you just gotta settle for 95% perfect!

I also change the exhaust tips after reading on here.
I removed the muffler when I fitted the towbar(hidden type) and measured the new tips,cut the old tips off and welded the new larger type on.
Replaced the muffler-like the look now.

I also change the exhaust tips after reading on here.
I removed the muffler when I fitted the towbar(hidden type) and measured the new tips,cut the old tips off and welded the new larger type on.
Replaced the muffler-like the look now.
If my guy had done it that way the tips would not have been centered in the bumper cutouts. The factory did not take great pains with that as the original tips were so small, far under and forward the misalignment did not show.

Yes I know what you mean,after removing the muffler to cut the tips off,I replaced the muffler and trialled fit the tips, taking a lot of time to get them exactly central,before spot welding them into place,
Then removed the muffler again(it's easy to remove) and welded the tips on properly.

Exhaust tips

I bought a second hand rear exhaust box and cut of the cheap and nasty chrome ends ready to weld some top quality megaflow tips

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    631 KB · Views: 699
I bought a second hand rear exhaust box and cut of the cheap and nasty chrome ends ready to weld some top quality megaflow tips

I'm also looking around for a second hand muffler-but I'm going to try something different.
I plan to cut it open and have a look inside-I'm thinking about removing some of the "baffle's" inside,then weld back up, refit and see what it sounds like.
Might be crap, might be too much drone-but nothing to loose,as it will be a second hand muffler.

Exhaust tips

Akrapovic
Definatly the best exhaust tips you can buy.
Sadly also the most expensive ones !

Back