Exhaust Tips

Voda Pas

:
2014 Mazda CX-5 & 2012 Mazda 5
Do the factory exhaust tips bother anyone else? I love the look of the CX-5 but I've never understood why they bothered with exhaust cut-outs in the rear fascia if they are going to mount the tips so recessed. Now, understand I'm not saying I want some outlandish huge 5" tips or anything crazy. I'd just like the tips to fill up the cut-out a little more and definitely project a little farther out. I'd like to get some weld on tips from Borla but I haven't found what the factory pipe size is. Has anyone replaced the tips or does anyone know what the factory pipe diameter is where it meets the tips?

They cut-off the old tips from my old car the are Magnaflow 3"

tswmax.jpg

cx51h.jpg

Wow! That looks great. Your whole ride looks great. Very similar to what I'm going for. Thanks for sharing.

Hi All
I m new to Mazda forum here, first time owning a SUV . just wanna share the mods that ive done.
CX 5 Touring OEM 19"

Rear fog light garnish
4" Slanted cut muffler tips

Sorry bad quality pics

Cheers

Last edited:
Do the factory exhaust tips bother anyone else?

To be honest, I never even noticed them, past a cursory glance, until I read a post about how someone thought they looked ridiculous. But, no, they look normal to me no matter how much I inspect them.

I love the look of the CX-5 but I've never understood why they bothered with exhaust cut-outs in the rear fascia if they are going to mount the tips so recessed.

The cut-outs in the bumper molding are there to allow the exhaust to be tucked up as high as possible so the exhaust is not damaged due to too little exit angle on steeper terrain or high curbs, etc. If the bumper molding didn't have cut-outs then the exhaust would rub on the plastic molding and people would (justifiably) criticize the design team that didn't think things through very well. Either that or the exhaust would have to be mounted lower where it would be more susceptible to damage.
[/QUOTE]

You know Mike, I had the same initial reaction to the look of the tips as you did, but I have to say I'm having a change of heart. Compare the before and after shots above (particularly the second and fourth pic) and you can't deny that the 4" tips fit the cutouts much better and look more natural. Then check out the back end of a Ford Edge next time you pull up behind one at a light and try to imagine it with CX-5 size 3" tips. I'm just about ready to try to find a source for good quality 4 inchers. Anyone have any suggestions?

Hi All
I m new to Mazda forum here, first time owning a SUV . just wanna share the mods that ive done.
CX 5 Touring OEM 19"

Rear fog light garnish
4" Slanted cut muffler tips

Sorry bad quality pics

Cheers

do you have a link to where you ordered this from? thanks

Hi Covers

I bought the exhaust tips from my local exhaust place. The front & rear slimline garnishes are from online shop in Japan. Now days you will be able to find them On Ebay.com i think. . .

The inlet exhaust tip measured 2 inch in diameter.

Thank you

I noticed and I do plan on upgrading my tips. (I also do like the look of the tips on latest Ford Edge).

Just looked under there, how are the OEM exhaust tips attached? Looks like its held by spot welds or just the pressure from the folded metal.

Compare the before and after shots above (particularly the second and fourth pic) and you can't deny that the 4" tips fit the cutouts much better and look more natural.

The bigger tips certainly have less gap and less clearance. Knowing how the exhaust system is hanging by rubber hangers my only concern would be that, due to normal manufacturing variances and/or a side slope or other conditions (like age), the tips might start banging or vibrating against the bumper molding. I would find that far more troubling than any minor aesthetic concern I may have. I guess I'm just not that concerned with how something looks (except to the extent that it looks like it functions well).

Then check out the back end of a Ford Edge next time you pull up behind one at a light and try to imagine it with CX-5 size 3" tips.

Like this?:

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/2010-Ford-Edge-SEL-Pictures-t35444#pi36176306

I think I prefer the hidden CX-5 look. Much cleaner looking and less prone to damage.

Have a look at the all new CX 9 exhaust tips . maybe it will fit direct to the CX 5 .

Last edited:
The bigger tips certainly have less gap and less clearance. Knowing how the exhaust system is hanging by rubber hangers my only concern would be that, due to normal manufacturing variances and/or a side slope or other conditions (like age), the tips might start banging or vibrating against the bumper molding. I would find that far more troubling than any minor aesthetic concern I may have. I guess I'm just not that concerned with how something looks (except to the extent that it looks like it functions well).

Like this?:

http://www.cargurus.com/Cars/2010-Ford-Edge-SEL-Pictures-t35444#pi36176306

I think I prefer the hidden CX-5 look. Much cleaner looking and less prone to damage.

Mike, you don't care for any modifications do ya? haha Seems like you are always against any modification that is posted on the forum. How come? Most people join forums to get ideas (as well as trouble shoot of course and discuss issues).

Mike, you don't care for any modifications do ya? haha Seems like you are always against any modification that is posted on the forum. How come? Most people join forums to get ideas (as well as trouble shoot of course and discuss issues).

Shows how little you know about me.

I'm not against modifications that offer proven benefits - you should see my 4 motorcycles (every one of them has thousands of dollars worth of mods from brighter projector headlights for night riding to pipes and performance chips, cast iron rotors, different spring rates in the forks/shocks, carbon fiber mufflers for lighter weight, etc. etc.) So I am completely in favor of improvement that actually improve the performance of my vehicles. But I'm not anxious to install stuff that just makes more noise or is just going to cost me money or time in the future without offering any measurable advantage in the interim.

As to exhaust tips, I was asked what I thought about the aesthetics of the larger tips. I answered truthfully that it looks like pretty minimal clearance - from a functional perspective no better than what I have now and with no possibility of any measurable improvement. Since I believe firmly that form follows function, the reduced clearance does not look appealing to me. And the fact that you didn't know this before you spoke up to criticize my opinion shows how little you know about me.

But I'm sure some people would take a loan out, charge it on their credit card or kill their firstborn for such a look. That's their prerogative and I didn't say anything negative about that. But I have to answer honestly when speaking of my personal preferences.

You need to stop worrying when another individual's preferences are different from your own. It's good that we have this individualism too - otherwise all of our CX-5's would look exactly alike.

Last edited:
What size is good for the CX-5 exhaust tips if I order aftermarket ones? If I remember correctly the original tips measured 3inches (diameter) so I guess anything over that will fit? Or should the aftermarket tip go inside original tip instead of swallowing it?

Any advice is highly appreciated!

What size is good for the CX-5 exhaust tips if I order aftermarket ones? If I remember correctly the original tips measured 3inches (diameter) so I guess anything over that will fit? Or should the aftermarket tip go inside original tip instead of swallowing it?
Well not "anything over" 3". 4" would be optimum (although I suppose 3.5" would work too if that size is available). Not sure what your last comment regarding "swallowing" the original tip refers to, but the larger tip replaces the old one, it doesn't go over it.

Latest posts

Back