Muffler tip

kosteniuks17

:
Mazda Protege5 2003
So this might sound mad lame to ya'll but I really don't like the small muffler tip we have on our cars. I definitely do not want a whole muffler so it doesn't sound ricerish but I was looking into just cutting off the one I have and adding maybe a litter bigger tip. My question is would you all know what the diameter (inner/outer) of the pipe that leaves the muffler right before it goes into the muffler tip. I saw some nice ones I liked on magnaflows website but i need to know those dimensions to order the right one. here's the website I was looking at if anyone is interested http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/00clampontips.asp plus they are clamp on tips which means there's no welding needed. really simple, cut the stock one and clamp on the new one. thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
I have a couple of different Magnaflow mufflers laying in the attic if you are interested in one of them. One is race series round with 4" diameter doublewall tip and one is street series round with 3" diameter doublewall tip. One of those is straight tip and one is angled, forgot which is which. I also have an oval race series with 4" diameter angle cut tip axleback that will be coming off the car when I get the nice MS axleback I just bought. All the ones I have are polished stainless with no corrosion on them and have the muffler hanger attached. The axleback will be bolt-on thing with both hangers. Of course I can provide pics if interested. The inlet pipe diameter on all of them = 2.25" but that can be fit to whatever size pipe with welding involved. Sorry, I has no clamp-on stuff but this way could save your stock axleback for bkup unit if desired. PM if interested.................

I have a couple of different Magnaflow mufflers laying in the attic if you are interested in one of them. One is race series round with 4" diameter doublewall tip and one is street series round with 3" diameter doublewall tip. One of those is straight tip and one is angled, forgot which is which. I also have an oval race series with 4" diameter angle cut tip axleback that will be coming off the car when I get the nice MS axleback I just bought. All the ones I have are polished stainless with no corrosion on them and have the muffler hanger attached. The axleback will be bolt-on thing with both hangers. Of course I can provide pics if interested. The inlet pipe diameter on all of them = 2.25" but that can be fit to whatever size pipe with welding involved. Sorry, I has no clamp-on stuff but this way could save your stock axleback for bkup unit if desired. PM if interested.................

How about some pictures with a soda can for size reference? I may be interested in one

I can do that.......may be early next week tho. Getting stuff together to go out of town on mtb trip thru Sunday.

Go out to your car and measure the diameter. Also measure the gap between your current tailpipe to your bumper.
If the tip's diameter is larger than your muffler's tail pipe diameter, then get a reducer. This is a short piece of pipe where one end of the pipe is larger than the other. So you can step down (or up) in diameter.
The other issue is that the new tailpipe may touch the bumper. So you can either avoid getting a tip that is too large or you can modify the bumper or modify the pipe connecting the tailpipe to the muffler.

I saw he mazdaspeed axle back selling on ebay. But doing some research it seems that some people like it and some people hate it. Was going to see if you all have any thing to say about the exhaust. I currently have a intake and header as sound altering upgrades. Would it make it sound like a can or is it a clean sound?

Back