Accessing CX-5 Center Dome Light

Hi, does anyone know how to access the center dome wiring? I was trying to install an LED on the left side and the cheap holder popped up and into the headliner and now both right/left center dome lights do not work. (boom05). I was already disappointed with how cheap the headliner is compared to a CR-V's and this bit of cheapness when installing a light is another disappointment (along with poor USB support & lack of resume support). Any info is appreciated.

Ok, so I found out why both center overhead lights didn't work: it's because all the overhead lights didn't work! Neither did the door lock/unlock from the fob or the inside controls. They did work if I started the car, but the car would only start if I put the key fob really close to the ignition/start-stop button (i.e., a low fob battery situation). Anyway, did some hunting around in the fuses and the only thing blown was the under hood one, #54 labeled "Overhead light". Not sure why the key door lock/unlock was affected since there's a separate fuse for that in the inside (#6, "Power door locks") which I checked and which was not blown. I think for the future if I ever change the lights again I'll probably pull the 54 fuse before changing the lights out and testing them. This is deja vu because this also happened in my Honda a few years back (which reminds me that I should buy some spares to replace the ones I blew).

So now I have three working lights (two front, right-center; cargo light was untouched). I could probably somehow pull down on the socket clamp, attach the LED and hope for the best. I have a feeling it will rattle over unsettled pavement though. Seems like a poor design, even though I probably exerted force improperly when inserting the LED in. Still would be interested in any tips anyone on how to access the center overhead dome lights without tearing half the car apart...

Last edited:
I don't know for sure how to take it apart, but I've heard the Corksport LED kit comes with instructions on how to replace all the bulbs. Maybe someone with that kit can chime in.

I don't know for sure how to take it apart, but I've heard the Corksport LED kit comes with instructions on how to replace all the bulbs. Maybe someone with that kit can chime in.

Yeah, I saw the pdf for the installation. It's really basic and outlines the sizes & quantities of the festoon bulbs, where to place them and to reverse polarity if it doesn't work. Thanks though.

Edit: Here are the instructions if anyone's interested:

http://support.corksport.com/instructions/Cx5-9-011-WEB.pdf

Yeah good question! I'm going to replace my lights with LED's too & need to know how to access the bulbs. I have a '14 gt with tech & my lights push & click to turn on and off. Do you still pry them out (gently) with a flat head access or? Mine are not like the ones pictured in the Cork Sport instructions. Anyone know how?

Yeah good question! I'm going to replace my lights with LED's too & need to know how to access the bulbs. I have a '14 gt with tech & my lights push & click to turn on and off. Do you still pry them out (gently) with a flat head access or? Mine are not like the ones pictured in the Cork Sport instructions. Anyone know how?

Accessing the dome lights is fairly easy. You just need a thin, flat-headed screwdriver (or equivalent) to be inserted into the end opposite the manual operation for the light switch. Pry it down and it should pop out without much effort (if you have to struggle you might be applying force incorrectly.) The problem I had is the center dome light I had applied too much force on one side of the holders [when inserting the LED] and it popped up and into the headliner. (The front dome lights don't suffer this same design issue as they will not pop up out of their housing.) I probably should have separated the holder a bit so that I wouldn't have needed so much force, but live and learn, I guess. I still think it was very poorly designed just based on how easy it was to have it pop up (they should have just kept the same design along with the front domes). Now this is going to bug me for a long time and I'll have to see how much it would cost to get it fixed since I don't think I could tackle something like removing the headliner. :p

Accessing the dome lights is fairly easy. You just need a thin, flat-headed screwdriver (or equivalent) to be inserted into the end opposite the manual operation for the light switch. Pry it down and it should pop out without much effort (if you have to struggle you might be applying force incorrectly.) The problem I had is the center dome light I had applied too much force on one side of the holders [when inserting the LED] and it popped up and into the headliner. (The front dome lights don't suffer this same design issue as they will not pop up out of their housing.) I probably should have separated the holder a bit so that I wouldn't have needed so much force, but live and learn, I guess. I still think it was very poorly designed just based on how easy it was to have it pop up (they should have just kept the same design along with the front domes). Now this is going to bug me for a long time and I'll have to see how much it would cost to get it fixed since I don't think I could tackle something like removing the headliner. :p

I had the same problem as you. The corksport led's are two wide for the holder in the center dome light.

Removing the dome light from the headliner is easy. There is a ring inside the headliner that snaps to the dome light assembly. You can un snap it by using a screwdriver around the inside perimeter of the dome light. However reassembly requires you to reach behind the headliner to snap it back on. If you have a sunroof car you can reach behind the headliner behind the sunroof.

Removing the dome light from the headliner is easy. There is a ring inside the headliner that snaps to the dome light assembly. You can un snap it by using a screwdriver around the inside perimeter of the dome light. However reassembly requires you to reach behind the headliner to snap it back on. If you have a sunroof car you can reach behind the headliner behind the sunroof.

Could you explain this to me a little bit more in detail? Just speak to me like a child who needs to be told things in a way they can understand, lol. Specifically I'm confused about snapping the dome light assembly back into place by reaching "behind the headliner behind the sunroof."

Thanks gezundheit. Appreciate it. I think my lights come tomorrow. I hope I have problem free install.

Could you explain this to me a little bit more in detail? Just speak to me like a child who needs to be told things in a way they can understand, lol. Specifically I'm confused about snapping the dome light assembly back into place by reaching "behind the headliner behind the sunroof."

The dome light is held in place by a plastic ring the same size as the dome light assembly behind the headliner. The ring snaps into the dome light assembly with the headliner in between; the ring is under the headliner while the dome light assembly is on the outside of the headliner (that is what holds the dome light to the headliner). You can unsnap the ring from the dome light from the inside of the car (which will cause the dome light assembly to be released from the headliner). However to put the dome light back into the headliner, you have to resnap the ring to the dome light. Since the snap ring is mounted under the headliner the only way to remount the dome light to the headliner is to get behind the headliner with the ring in one hand and the dome light assembly on the outside of the headliner in the other hand. If you have a car with a sunroof, you can remove the trim around the sunroof to get access under the headliner. Hope this helps!

The dome light is held in place by a plastic ring the same size as the dome light assembly behind the headliner. The ring snaps into the dome light assembly with the headliner in between; the ring is under the headliner while the dome light assembly is on the outside of the headliner (that is what holds the dome light to the headliner). You can unsnap the ring from the dome light from the inside of the car (which will cause the dome light assembly to be released from the headliner). However to put the dome light back into the headliner, you have to resnap the ring to the dome light. Since the snap ring is mounted under the headliner the only way to remount the dome light to the headliner is to get behind the headliner with the ring in one hand and the dome light assembly on the outside of the headliner in the other hand. If you have a car with a sunroof, you can remove the trim around the sunroof to get access under the headliner. Hope this helps!

D'oh! Seems way beyond my skills to do successfully without mucking something up. :D I managed to get the LED light connected and in place but I shorted a blew a fuse again. Hopefully now that I have it connected it won't short during bumpy rides...

Hi, joined this forum to post my experience while changing dome light. I ended up doing the same thing as original poster - pushed the bulb holder inside little hard while trying to snap the bulb in the holder. After this all cabin lights - front overhead, rear overhead, and trunk lights, stopped working. Key fob behaved as if it has no battery and I could start the SUV only after placing the fob few millimeters away from start ignition button.
And when SUV started, the AFS Off and Check Engine lights also turned on. So I searched Internet and found this thread. As described here, I checked fuse # 54 that is labelled as Room and sure it was blown. So I replaced it and voila all cabin lights were working. And key fob also worked. Then I started SUV again and to my horror both engine and AFS Off lights were still on. Then I manually pressed the AFS button, shut down the engine and again cranked it on. Now the status is that AFS light is off but check engine is still on. It's steady on i.e. not flashing so means not very serious problem (hopefully) and I can drive it to dealer rather than getting it towed.
Other few things I noticed is the outside temperature reading shown in dashboard is now displayed in Celsius instead of Farehnite and my current trip meter reading has reset to zero. There could be some other problems or changes too that I am not aware yet. Bottom line shorting of fuse can create havoc and a $15 DIY project can end up costing much more time and money.
I will update what issues dealer diagnoses after I take SUV to him.

Last edited:
Bump.

Thanks for this thread. I did the same thing. Popped one of the metal contacts up and now it shorts.

Latest posts

Back