Stainless Brake Lines

:
Protege5
So this may be a stupid question but is there a difference in brand?

Corksport has some that are their own house brand. They always have solid products but are 140$
ProtegeGarage has some Goodridge brand ones. I know protege garage sells stuff specifically for our platform and has good reviews, 120$
ProParts has the Techna-Fit lines for 81$.

I know there is almost always a "you get what you pay for" but really is there any difference between these lines? They all say they are stainless braided with teflon hose. I'm looking to upgrade my 200k mile old lines when i do the mazda6 upgrade next weekend. Anyone have any experience they could impart to me?

thanks!

This is not specific to your question regarding the comparative quality of the different brands, but it is experience to impart: use a flare-nut wrench when removing your old lines. They may be quite firmly stuck, and a flare-nut wrench will give some added insurance against rounding them.

Well unless you still can't get if off, then you are without a car! Haha. I was replacing my front two lines with Goodridge SS lines, and the left one was an absolute nightmare. Ended up rounding off the threaded nut that goes onto the solid line and never got the line off. Didn't want to go too far in case I screwed up the brakes. So right now I only have one SS line on. Oh well! Don't really want to pay a shop right now to get the other one off.

I did a good amount of research here on the forums, and it seems that most people like the Goodridge brand. Personally, I have no clue if they are better or not, that just seemed to be the general consensus.

^This might work:

the-originaltrade-locking-wrenches-302_zpsd7e39a11.jpg

Well unless you still can't get if off, then you are without a car! Haha. I was replacing my front two lines with Goodridge SS lines, and the left one was an absolute nightmare. Ended up rounding off the threaded nut that goes onto the solid line and never got the line off. Didn't want to go too far in case I screwed up the brakes. So right now I only have one SS line on. Oh well! Don't really want to pay a shop right now to get the other one off.

I did a good amount of research here on the forums, and it seems that most people like the Goodridge brand. Personally, I have no clue if they are better or not, that just seemed to be the general consensus.

I had this same thing happen to me! I only have one line installed at the moment. But it is Goodridge and it seems fine. What do I know though.

I know I had problems with 2 other sets that were not Goodridge that weren't on the car 2 years and the Goodridge set has been on the car for about 6-7 yrs now.

If it strips off with a 6 point you're using the wrong size. If its stripped off use a smaller socket line it with jbweld (not jb quik) let it sit over night and it will come off. I had to do this with the hard line on my civic when it split open, the nut was so rusted I could get anything on it, I beat a socket on that stripped it then used jb weld on it. Keep in mind you won't be able to use the socket again unless you heat it to 1,000+ degrees and melt it off

if you cut the line, easy outs should work too...its just a rock hard socket with teeth, and the pack comes with a few different sizes. Saved my ass multiple times...you won't ruin a socket this way, but it will completely destroy the nut.

Just carefully use some vise grips tighter than s*** on the flat sides of the line nut.

Vice grips is how I rounded it out in the first place haha. On the right side I just used an adjustable wrench and it came off with a bit of effort. Seems like in order to get the amount of force needed I am going to have to cut the line. I like the JB weld idea. I can just see myself cutting the line and still not being able to undo it. A tiny little job turns into a mechanic and flatbed expense!

I think I took a picture of it, I'll see if I can find it to show exactly what's going on.

The vise grips in the picture are specially designed for nuts and bolts,... they grab on three sides instead of just two and you can crank the hell out of them. You don't have to cut the line to try them either. You do need room for the jaws to fit in where you need them though.

The 'Bolt-Grip's' are another option.

Space was definitely a pain when dealing with the lines. Never even heard of those vice grips before, i'll have to pick up a set and try them out. Thanks for the info! I think i'll keep spraying it with some liquid wrench over the next couple weeks to make it as easy as possible. I used some WD-40 previously, but obviously I was not successful.

Be careful with those easy outs. I tried to use it and it managed to chew away at the nut and now the easy out won't even sit on it, and the next size smaller doesn't fit.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, they have saved my ass countless times I'm just saying be careful with them because they can make some situations worse.

Back