Hardwiring a Valentine 1

:
2014 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
DIY: How to Hardwire a Valentine 1

Would anyone here be interested in a "how-to" on hardwiring a V1 (or any radar detector for that matter) so the wires are hidden? I did the install on Saturday night alone so I didn't take pictures. If there is interest in it I can take it down and redo the install taking pictures along the way.

DIY

For the purposes of this DIY, I'll be installing a Valentine 1. *Disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damage you cause to your vehicle attempting to follow these directions*

Items needed:
1) Radar detector
2) Hardwire Kit
3) Low Profile Fuse Tap. This MUST be a tap for low profile type fuses or it will not work. (This is the one I bought: https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned))
4) Tool kit
5) 10 amp and 15 amp low profile fuses.

Step 1
: Place your radar detector at the top of the windshield where you want to mount it with the cable connected

j7TeLui.jpg

Step 2: Once you have the radar lined up, remove the radar detector and begin to slide the cable into the small gap between the headliner and the windshield. Use a screwdriver with a cloth covering the tip to help if need be:

gCTaWf6.jpg

ZhCiO1p.jpg

Step 3: Remove the A Pillar cover. You can find the instructions on the removal here on page 1,712 (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u877jw1v445217e/NEKHNPKRlg/CX-5 - Body and Accessories.pdf):

wrAOHH4.jpg

Step 4: With the cover removed, run the cable along the top of the column, making sure to not cross over the airbag (the rolled up white tube at the bottom of the column):

B4OTS49.jpg

Step 5: Run the cable through the opening in the cable groupings at the bottom of the pillar:

mUwaiUd.jpg

Step 6: Run the cable down the side of the dash under the weather striping:

Zgbmol5.jpg

ygQch5R.jpg

Step 7: Remove the cover to the fuse box and then pull the cable into the fuse box:

7Mtdm6G.jpg

Step 8: Take a ratchet and slightly loosen the bolt located in the top left corner of the fuse box. Then take the black ground wire from the V1 hardwire kit and place it behind the bolt and re-tighten it:

O2ZqkVw.jpg

RPUCIQ7.jpg

Step 9: Take the small blue clamp included in the V1 hardwire kit and close and lock it onto the fuse tap bought from eBay or your local auto part store. Insert two fuses into the fuse tap, a 15 and 10 amp fuse:

IMG_0680.JPG

OblJpte.jpg

Step 10: Snap the clamped fuse onto the connector at the end of the red cable on the hardwire unit:

seMYksx.jpg

oZ5UIYN.jpg

Step 11: Per the cover to the fuse box, the 3rd spot on the right hand column of fuses is for a rear outlet that CX-5's don't have. This would be where the outlet for the rear seats would be. The good thing about this outlet is that it will power on and off with the car:

NkZ2FRe.jpg

SELIjdN.jpg

Step 12: Place the fuse tap into the empty 3rd spot with the fuses facing down:

vu8ZHDq.jpg

Step 13: Connect the cable to the hardwire unit:

isXv4Gy.jpg

Step 14: Place the cables back into the fuse box and place the cover back on:

8UL8vqj.jpg

Step 15: Connect your radar and turn the car on. Verify it turns on and off with the ignition and enjoy!

6V9Xa4s.jpg

PTFDwZP.jpg

Last edited:
Do you have the auto dimming mirror?

Yes, but I did a fuse tap, so this would work in any CX-5 regardless if they have a auto dimming mirror or not. I'm a bumbling idiot when it comes to two things, electrical systems and wheels, but even I could do this install on my own. No wire splicing or soldering required, it's pretty much plug and play.

I would most definitely be interested in a "How To" for the V1 install. Many thanks in advance!

I would most definitely be interested in a "How To" for the V1 install. Many thanks in advance!

I too would like a how to, which fuse to tap in the auto dimming mirrors? I'd like to put a dash cam up there.

Bump. Added the DIY to the first post.

Thanks for the write-up, but aw man, thought you tapped into the auto dimming/rain sensor/infrared laser area. Not sure how long the "car charger" for the dash cam i ordered is.

Thanks for the write-up, but aw man, thought you tapped into the auto dimming/rain sensor/infrared laser area. Not sure how long the "car charger" for the dash cam i ordered is.

Sorry! I saw over on the CX-9 forums that some guys tried to tap into the rear view mirror area but couldn't find any wires tay had enough volts to power radar detectors. Plus I think that would involve splicing wires which I don't know how to do so I didn't want to risk it.

Sorry! I saw over on the CX-9 forums that some guys tried to tap into the rear view mirror area but couldn't find any wires tay had enough volts to power radar detectors. Plus I think that would involve splicing wires which I don't know how to do so I didn't want to risk it.

Actually, I installed a Passport 9800i with a visor mount and wired it to the auto compass/Homelink mirror. The only problem so far is I have to turn it on and off manually for it to operate. I am going to do some research for a wiring schematic for the mirror.

I think when I go to do this to my wife's CX-5 I will look for power in the overhead console and eliminate the need to run wires down to the fuse area.

I think when I go to do this to my wife's CX-5 I will look for power in the overhead console and eliminate the need to run wires down to the fuse area.

This also seems like a better idea to me. Should be able to just tap into the sunroof power somehow..

DANGER DANGER! WILL ROBINSON!

Just saw this and I must point out that the way you have the fuse tap inserted, YOU ARE TAKING POWER OFF THE WRONG SIDE OF THE FUSE. Meaning you are taking voltage direct from the fuse box, and the fuse in the fuse tap is being bypassed!

If there is another fuse in the Valentine harness, then this is OK. But even in that case you should remove the fuses from the fusetap so as not to get confused when you or someone else comes back to this at a later date.

If there IS no other fuse, you need to remove and rotate the fusetap 180 degrees, then re-insert with the wire coming out of the left side (fuse facing UP).

Last edited:
The way to test this is to remove the fuses from the add on tap and see if you still have power to your device. Power should have to pass through the fuse to reach the device and if the fuse is pulled the device should be dead...

DANGER DANGER! WILL ROBINSON!

Just saw this and I must point out that the way you have the fuse tap inserted, YOU ARE TAKING POWER OFF THE WRONG SIDE OF THE FUSE. Meaning you are taking voltage direct from the fuse box, and the fuse in the fuse tap is being bypassed!

If there is another fuse in the Valentine harness, then this is OK. But even in that case you should remove the fuses from the fusetap so as not to get confused when you or someone else comes back to this at a later date.

If there IS no other fuse, you need to remove and rotate the fusetap 180 degrees, then re-insert with the wire coming out of the left side (fuse facing UP).

There's a fuse in the V1 adapter plus there were never any fuses in that spot to begin with, rather it just sat empty. I put fuses into the tap just so it wasn't sitting empty.

Very nice write up.

I run with the Blend Mount and Mirror Tap on my Mustang and it is a super clean look as well. No splicing of wires, no suction cups.

http://www.blendmount.com/

I haven't checked out the options yet for my CX-5 as I just picked it up yesterday.

Anyone with a CX-5 having issues where the laser unit in the Smart City Brake Support system (SCBS) sets off their Valentine One's laser detector?

I just installed my V-1 in my '14 CX-5 GT and I had to shut off the V-1 as it goes off constantly thinking there is a laser speed device nearby. Interestingly, disabling the SCBS in the multi-info display had no effect on this.

Back