clear coat valve cover... cant find clear enamel ?

:
03 MSP OJ
spray painted my valve cover with heat resist enamel paint chipped the paint when getting the masking tape off with my tooth pick...

so i guess i better get a clear coat on it

then... cant find any heat resist clear coat.

tried few sites that sell paints locally, only found this duplicolor clear engine enamel.

but canadiantire.ca or walmart.ca dont sell this product. weird...

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/enginePaint/

will regular clear enamel paint or lacquer or something like krylon UV resist clearcoat survive on valve cover without browning?

problem is where to find it...

if u click canadiantire.ca and search either dupli-color / VHT . no clear coat....

i wonder if theres a canadian store smart enough to carry a full product line.

last time i visit the store, i asked the guy who work at auto paint section, answer is no.

gonna try part source or Napa canada.

Quick tip on clear coating it. If you plan on baking it for the cure process, I HIGHLY advise doing it exactly by the instruction. First time I baked a valve cover I left it in there for the wrong heat and time cycle and it boiled the clear coat. Which in turn ruined my VC. LOL.

Good luck finding the CC though.

does the spray can clearcoat need to be cured in oven too?

i dont wanna make my oven smells like paint

i think last time when i saw a video of powder coat, they cure the paint and spray the clearcoat on when its fresh out of the oven, doesnt need to be cured again i guess?

ok i found dupli-color engine enamel "clea" from part source, but its using same label as regular Engine enamel paint, so the instruction is the same...

not sure if i wanna cure the enamel paint in oven and then apply this "clea" enamel on top .....

its gonna be like 3-4 layers of regular engine enamel paint and 3 layers of "clea" engine enamel paint ?

It's not required. A lot of people just let it dry and put it on the engine and let it heat cycle using engine temps. But I know the first time I did it years ago VHT's clear coat recommended curing in the oven and I was impatient.

finally done with it

nice black from distant, kind snowish when look under reflection. not sure if i should cure it now or wait till tomorrow and let the engine heat cure it.

not gonna complain about the paint job , since i did it with $20ish paint and few sand paper =,=

I used the 2000 degree stuff and it has a three step process for curing it in the oven. Like I said, it was my stubborness and impatience that messed that VC up. I've known many people that do it and it is perfect. Just be sure to turn a fan on or some how vent the oven because it will smoke. (if you decide to go that route.)

Oh and I never had an issue with my oven smelling like paint or any residue from it. Just a really pissed off wife when she went to put dinner in and found valve covers. :D

ratchet hit rubbed a small piece off

base enamel coat and clear enamel coat doesnt really help much against light hitting

maybe i'll get a powder coat next year.

Back