What's your fuel economy like?

20ES

Like the title stats, what is your fuel economy like?

In the winter with snow tires on I was averaging around the 9.5L/100km (24.8 MPG) with about 65/35 city/highway. Best I ever averaged was last year in the summer, was getting around 7.5-8.0L/100km (31.4-29.4 mpg) with about 10/90 city/highway.

Car is currently at ~198,000km (~123750 miles)

29-31 mpg city driving. 33-35 mpg highway. Stock as far as engine mods go.

Best I had was 340km on half the tank, which is like 34mpg Iirc
right now I do 260-275km on half a tank because one of my canister valve leaks out the volatile octane fumes.. which is direct fuel loss in my tank :/

i've been averaging 28 mpg mixed freeway/ city streets. it's pretty hilly where i live and i drive rather conservatively

I always get 23 to 24.5 and I'm 50/50 daily! Stock MSP except SMIC and Hard Pipes.

With an Mp3 ecu and the normal amount of bolt ons, plus fairly agressive cams...I still get around 33-34mpg on a highway...I average about 32.8 from home to work, which is a 55mph 19 mile drive one way...very little city driving, but not exactly perfectly flat highway either...

before the Mp3 ecu, i got about 30mpg flat average on the same drive...the only real thing i've noticed with the mp3 ecu is that i hold 55-60mph with a lower throttle position in 5th gear than i did before...probably where the better mileage is coming from...

Interestingly, I lost about 2 mpg when I had a flashed MP3 ECU. Ran it for six tanks (3 tanks of 93 oct and 3 of 89 oct). Didn't notice a difference with it so I winded up going back to the stock ECU.

^that is strange...I'm running it with extended reach plugs in the same heat range as stock (5 iirc)...never ran it without those plugs, and always use premium (92 around here)...

I use torque pro from time to time to check stuff like that...i average 34 nearly always, and can creep up to 36 or even 37 if i'm really light on it...which all are a mpg or 2 high from what i get when i just measure it myself between fill ups and record the amount of gas put in...I'm not exactly sure what that app records to give mpg readings...but it has a correction table to get it more in line with what i record myself, just never bothered...

I rarely go from a full tank to empty any more...but i can easily get 460 miles on a tank without thinking about it, which is about 32mpg...thats a solid 20 - 25 miles more than before the mp3 ecu...i clean my K&N every couple of months, and everything is currently in good working order...wonder why i'm getting better results with that computer and you aren't, thats all...

again though, this is without pretty much any city driving. the highway to work is just 5 blocks from my house, and after that i reach work without a single stop.

Last edited:
With my mp3 last summer we went to the beach, ran 87 octane there as its what I usually run in it. Ran 75mph for the most part and got 29 mpg. In the way back I ran 80mph maybe a bit faster in some areas with 93 after resetting the ecu and got 33 or 34. Can't remember exact numbers but it was a significant difference considering the speed difference as well. It was with a fresh oil change and air filter as well

^^yeah i'm pretty sure the advantage the mp3 ecu has comes from its advanced timing, and if you just run regular fuel, the ecu will retard the timing around it...with the advanced timing, the power needed to maintain a highway cruise speed of ~70-75-80 or whatever, can be made with the throttle less opened...so less air, less fuel needed, better mileage...all from advanced ignition...as the actual fuel maps for open loop are no different, and closed loop (still used for highway cruising) is massively influenced by throttle position.

I normally average 25 mpg. Only mod is an Injen cold air intake. It's also worth noting that I deliver pizza once or twice a week.

If I'm on a 100% highway trip, I'll average as high as 30-32 mpg, depending on how easy I am on the gas pedal. I typically cruise no faster than 65 mph. I learned the lesson about fast driving the hard way. (hand)

03 sportronic with 95k...and a few mods. As much as 31mpg on frwy driving speed limits and as little as 25 mpg driving stop and go city or 70-75 with AC on frwy.

Thought the mp3 tune was leaned out a bit?

possibly...the dyno sheets w/ AFR i've seen over the years just show a smoother afr, especially at the transition from closed to open loop...the MP3 ecu afr and power curve was a nice smooth line...the stock protege ecu was more like a ladder haha...

but it didn't really illustrate it being leaner overall, it just seems to deliver the same fuel requirements more accurately...and the advanced ignition burns it better...

Back