Mazdaspeed 3 wheels on a stock Protege5

CRISIS

:
2002 Mazda Protege5
I recently purchased a set of the Mazdaspeed 3 wheels, now I know I will have no issues if I use a 215/35/18 size tire, problem is they came with 225/45/18 winter tires.

Now the way I see it I could just buy new tires but that seems to run from $500-$700 depending on the place and stock they have available.

Or I could try to use wheel spacers and save a few hundred dollars. I am on stock suspension and am not against rolling the fenders, I am just worried if I try the spacers and they still don't fit. Right now they shock mount sits on the tire, so I know it's because the tire is too thick.

Would moving the tire/wheel further out allow me to forego the purchase of new tires? At least until I can find a cheaper set, or should I just bite the bullet and get the new tires? I really have no plans of lowering the car in the future.

A part of me wants to sell them back and the other part wants to make it work.

OK, so I think I lucked out and found someone selling 215/35/18 Nankang tires with only 3,000 miles on them!

If I put these on the Mazdaspeed 3 wheels, they should then fit on my Protege5 with ease, correct?

if your running a stock suspension rate (soft) you might rub under load/bumps, just make sure you get a wheel alignment after installation

I didn't mention I am running over sized tires at 205/55/16 right now and I checked the total diameter of both setups and it seems the 215/35/18 may actually be a bit smaller. I am planning on getting an alignment as well. Will a shop refuse to do the alignment if a swaybar link is broken?

The end link will help with body roll to keep it from rubbing. The problem is that you're going wider

I went to Discount Tire and purchased 4 new Kumho Ecsta AST tires in 215/35/18, bolted them up and wow they look nice!

Got rid of my steering wheel wobble (which I attributed to unbalanced tires and 2 bent rims) and rides smoother than I imagined. Going to get an alignment Saturday, and start looking into getting some more mods down the line.

Thinking of Mazdaspeed ECU, aftermarket headers and yellow fogs. Might get some lowering springs because I have about a 2 finger wheel gap now. What are some good brands for that (TEIN? Eibach?).

Thanks for the help!

I went to Discount Tire and purchased 4 new Kumho Ecsta AST tires in 215/35/18, bolted them up and wow they look nice!

Got rid of my steering wheel wobble (which I attributed to unbalanced tires and 2 bent rims) and rides smoother than I imagined. Going to get an alignment Saturday, and start looking into getting some more mods down the line.

Thinking of Mazdaspeed ECU, aftermarket headers and yellow fogs. Might get some lowering springs because I have about a 2 finger wheel gap now. What are some good brands for that (TEIN? Eibach?).

Thanks for the help!

if you are not going turbo, you want the "MP3" ecu, not a "Mazdaspeed" ecu.

also, get the Tein stechs.

Tein Springs are great for the P5.

Post pics :)

I agree and would add to pair them up with the Tokico HPs. Just my biased opinion though. ;)

attachment.php

if you are not going turbo, you want the "MP3" ecu, not a "Mazdaspeed" ecu.

also, get the Tein stechs.

What he said regarding the ecu and springs....

Doesn't the user marcsp20 from Australia have speed 3 rims on it? IIRC he just put a set on it. Maybe ask him what tire setup he went with?.............

Here ya go, scroll down the page for pics...............

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123738796-Marcs_sp20-s-project-SP20/page7

Yes he does, he has the 2nd gen MS3 wheels. Can't see if the OP posted pics but do you have the 1st gen or 2nd MS3 wheels?

Attachments

• P5 - First Wash 2011 (5).JPG
    P5 - First Wash 2011 (5).JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,272
Hey, yeah I did some research and the ECU I need was the mp3 one, but I can't do that considering my protege5 is auto. The main reason I got the rims was because my tires were old and out of balance and 2 of the stock wheels were bent so I needed a replacement fast.

I really like the TEIN springs (had a set on my 1992 Civic a while back) so I might have to look into those.

I have the 1st gen Mazdaspeed 3 wheels. Been getting compliments all day too :)

he ran 215/35 on his, he's now gone 17s and swapped to put on a mates gen 1 ms3. but i run 215/35 on my ms3 wheels. i only scrub on full lock, but i am pretty low... i didnt have any problems when on lowered springs...

Back