2006 Mazda 5 banging/rattling noise from rear wheel

jennae

:
2006 Mazda 5
I was driving down a dirt/gravel road when I started getting a banging rattling noise from the back of my car. I looked around, but I couldn't see anything caught in the wheel, etc. It bangs when going over bumps, but has a constant rattle. It drives and brakes like normal. Could a rock be caught somewhere in my car? Where would it be?

Those are hard to track down - you need a 2nd person to sit in back and localize the sound. Something could have broken loose and is now rattling around. You check for loose stuff in the spare tire well?

gl

I had someone sitting in the back, that's how I knew where the sounds was coming from. Where is the spare tire well? I looked around in the rim and around the brakes but I couldn't see anything stuck there. Do you think it would be likely to free itself, or would I have to get someone to get it our for me?

do you think that perhaps you lost one of the end links for your rear sway bar? if you did, then you'd hear some rattling around in your suspension...you did say gravel road.

I had someone sitting in the back, that's how I knew where the sounds was coming from. Where is the spare tire well? I looked around in the rim and around the brakes but I couldn't see anything stuck there. Do you think it would be likely to free itself, or would I have to get someone to get it our for me?

Spare tire well is where the spare tire is :) It's under the tray in the back trunk. If you open the back trunk, pull up the floor cover. There are 2 tabs un the tray that you need to pull up, the spare tire is under there. I'd check the spare tire pressure when you are there - it's usually too low. It's possible something is loose back there. Unless you are sure it's coming from the wheel area.

Is it possible a stone got stuck in the coil springs? I'd think it would come out, but one never knows.

There was also a TSB on the rear coils where there was not enough clearance and can rub causing noise. Also, you may want to check your rear sway bar bushings. They could be failing. Mine did on my 2007 and caused noises whenever I went over bumps.

There was also a TSB on the rear coils where there was not enough clearance and can rub causing noise. Also, you may want to check your rear sway bar bushings. They could be failing. Mine did on my 2007 and caused noises whenever I went over bumps.

In my case the noise starts from the point where you move off to about 40 kph, then it seems to level off. It's a pretty noticeable clunk and seems to increase with the speed of tire rotation until it seems to go away at higher speeds. I got pretty worried about it and took it into my mechanic. He scratched his head for a long while, poked around and it was when he started using a metal bar to move the suspension around that he found some play in the trailing arm. Seems the trailing arm bushing is worn and that's what causing the clunking.
Now he says it gets worse as the wear becomes greater, so if you're hearing it all the time it's probably pretty bad. If you take it to the dealer they'll ask you to replace the whole trailing arm but you can actually buy just the bushing and if you have a decent mechanic (or you're talented yourself) you can get the bushing replaced.

I do face the same problem after changing the rear shock to koni, going to make appointment to mazda for diagnose next mon

I have the same problem and on the side with clunk the wheel is leaning inward a bit. I was thinking of replacing bushings with the ES kit.

After replacing all the wear items on the sway bar I found this TSB.

TSB 02-007/06 Noise from front or rear suspension when passing over a bump or driving on uneven road.

The rear coil springs may have shifted in the spring seat rubber and/or upper spring pocket in the rear crossmember, and causing the spring to rub against the cross member. This noise will most likely occur with the rear seat occupied and can sound like a squeak or knock when going over a bump or a rattle when driving at a steady speed over uneven road surface. The problem on early models is the arc-welding bead in the spring pocket on the crossmember where it makes contact with the spring seat rubber is protruding too much, causing the spring seat rubber to be pushed out of position. The arc-welding bead also prevents the rubber from going back to its initial position. On later models, the spring seat rubber is the problem.

Back