300 miles and battery died

:
CX-5 + Nissan Versa Hatchback
Well was loving my new CX-5 GT. But after 12 day and less than 300 miles my car wouldn't start. Parked it 2 days ago and today loaded up the family and the baby in the carseat and pushed the start button, no key it said. Looked in my pocket to make sure I had the right key FOB, I did, then I notice doom light dim and what was odd the speedometer and tack meter jumping up and pegging their self. So it look like the battery drained down for some reason. Now the question is, how with all the automatic turn off features did it happen?

Dome lights are a common culprit... if you manually "click" them on, they stay on. Also, the 12v plug in the armrest is always powered, so if you have a common dc/ac inverter plugged in for example, it can drain the battery in 2-3 days. Or might just be a defective battery?

Dome lights are a common culprit... if you manually "click" them on, they stay on. Also, the 12v plug in the armrest is always powered, so if you have a common dc/ac inverter plugged in for example, it can drain the battery in 2-3 days. Or might just be a defective battery?

The touring and gt comes with a feature that if you leave anything on, it'll automatically turn off after (the lowest setting is) 30 minutes.

I had same type of issue with my Mustang. Battery had a bad cell, according to Ford. New battery under Warranty, still works great 4 years later.

I have a 2013 touring, and I can promise you that it does not have battery-drain-protection:
I did not know the 12v in the glove box was always-on, until it drained my battery twice.
Also someone (wife's work place has valet parking, so all sorts of things can happen) left the dome light on, and it drained my battery again.

The touring and gt comes with a feature that if you leave anything on, it'll automatically turn off after (the lowest setting is) 30 minutes.

I have a 2013 touring, and I can promise you that it does not have battery-drain-protection:
I did not know the 12v in the glove box was always-on, until it drained my battery twice.
Also someone (wife's work place has valet parking, so all sorts of things can happen) left the dome light on, and it drained my battery again.
Ah sorry I read the screen wrong, it's interior light timeout when door is open, that one is configurable of 10, 30, and 60 minutes.

Well I had to jump it 2 more time this weekend. Took it in and they charged the battery and said it was good. So I go out and eat tonight and we came out and low and behold the center dome lights are on. I sure my 2 yo daughter turned it on. But for the life of me I can't believe that me or the service department did not discover it. And apparently as shsolus stated the car is not smart enough to turn the light off as I thought. So beware.

Just noticed the other day while cleaning underhood, the battery is very translucent. Keep an eye on the water levels in the battery, seems like it's not maintenance free.

Jeff

Just noticed the other day while cleaning underhood, the battery is very translucent. Keep an eye on the water levels in the battery, seems like it's not maintenance free.
Jeff

Thanks SapphireHearts found the info, I thought all new battery was sealed. It probably better that it is not sealed that way water can be added if needed.

Last edited:
Back