replacement battery recommendations!

HrV323

:
Mazda 323f
has anyone purchased a new battery recent, which one did you choose and why?

cost?
cranking AMP?
size?
relocation?

I bought the autozone gold battery. Seemed legit and it has a really long warranty too on it. A lot of people like those yellow or red top ones, but I personally dont think its worth that much more money. Plus Ive read that they are designed differently. If the yellow one goes bad it is unrechargeable.

I have a yellow top (optima). Nice thing about them is they are deep cycle batteries, they can be recharged to full capacity if they go dead (leave your lights on).

I've had a Optima red top from Autozone for 10 years now...I can't remember the difference between the red and yellow, but the red was on sale for $90 at the time...normally going for $115 or something...

I've had this car off for months at a time a various points...I've never had a single battery related issue...it cranks the engine easily no matter how long its been sitting...even left my head lights on for 4 hours at a college foot ball game...thought i was f'd...it started like it never happened...this past winter i ran into some major issues during a cam install, and the car had been parked for 2 weeks in sub zero temps (at one point the high was -2*F)...and the entire time i worked on it i had the stereo running off that battery each evening...when i was finally done and got it back on the ground...started right up...

I also have a 82 Porsche 928...that has been eating batteries for a living since i picked it up from my uncle (some sort of parked short, it drains when not running)...so i very often have to jump it and drive around to let the alternator recharge it...On nearly any other car i've jumped that 928 with...i have to hook it up, start the 'donor' car...give the 928 a minute or so to slightly fill the battery...and crank it...with my mazda and the red top...i don't even have to have the p5 running...the second its hooked up it'll crank that high compression v8 no problem...

I don't have some crazy stereo or anything though...i do have a small sub and amp with an aftermarket high power head unit...but i've never had a single issue with that thing...not trying to sound like a commercial, but i've been very happy with it...

I'll chime in again...I've jumped a Ford Excursion half a dozen times with my P5, and every time the Excursion starts right up from a dead battery when hooked up to my Red Top.

Latest posts

Back