Front brake help?

sneakypete

Contributor
:
2002 Protege5
How do I stop my front caliper from dragging? I think my rotor is warped from constant drag. Sometimes I can smell my pads on my left-front wheel burning, and the rotor sizzles when I spit on it. I can also feel a jerkiness as I come to a stop. Clearly this is not good. I changed the pads a while ago, and figured that the burning smell would go away after the pads were bedded. It went away for a while, but has returned with the hot weather (and possibly due to me jilting the caliper when I changed the front struts/springs). I know the rear calipers have the adjustment screw, but is there any way to loosen the pads on the front brakes?

Grease the slider pins. I do it every year,... some people do it twice a year.
I'll bet any grease on the slider pins is like tar.

If it is jerky when you come to a stop you most likely have a hotspot on the rotor that caused it to slightly warp. New rotors are like $15 and and do the grease too ;)

Mine were type A,... I'll assume all p5's are the same.

You unscrew the lower pin (big allen screw,.. I use a allen socket on a wrench),... then rotate the bracket up then it will slide off giving access to the second pin.
You skip #1 in this instruction. Leave the brake line attached and hang it with wire, out of the way. I set mine on top of the rotor when I do mine.
You don't go any further than step #4 unless you are changing pads.

brakesliders_zpse1a1df8c.jpg

As far as I know,... those little springs (#5) are the only spring tension used to retract the pads when you let go of the brake.
The grease on mine is pretty dried up and sticky after a year. They should be serviced at least yearly,... especially if the rubber boots are ripped a bit like mine are.
Be careful not to get any grease on the pads or rotors and try to remove beads of excess grease,... (grease the hell out of them though,... my dust caps are missing so there is no seal at the end of the one pin,... so I cake the area where the cap should be with grease.

Last edited:
Back