No clutch pedal pressure...fork? slave?

north42g

:
Mazda Protege5
2002 Mazda PR5 Identifying Clutch Components.gif

02 PR5 , 2.0L, 135K

As some of you may know I've been chasing around a noise in my engine bay...During my inspection I found the clutch fork rattling a bit. I got in to start it up and the clutch pedal fell to the floor and would not return. (yeah fair to say I'm not to happy about that) i have attached a components view of the clutch assembly.
I was able to return the pedal by pushing on the clutch Fork(release collar fork#8)towards the release cylinder, (#4 some might call it a slave cylinder) I had an assistant try to work the pedal while i observed the movement of the release cylinder and the fork. It seems the cylinder is traveling but not enough to move the fork. The end of the rod on the release cylinder has a little ball type end on it and is supposed to fit into the concave portion of the fork. Well, it sit in there but loosely. In fact its loose enough that I can re-adjust and/or re-position it further up the fork closer to the collar almost nudging up against the rubber dust grommet/cover. How much travel of the release cylinder is there supposed to be?

So what do you guys think? Is it the Fork/Collar ? Or the release Cylinder? And are either of these adjustable? AND ...would adjusting the pedal travel make a difference?

Thanks guys!

Last edited:
i have the same problem. i pushed the rod in the slave cylinder with the clutch fork but the rod doesnt return. the clutch pedal "popped" loudly back in place. the pedal feels fine after pumping it a few times now but i can't shift into gear when the car is on. i have new master and slave cylinders in the mail. do i need to take them apart and lube the cup/shaft/etc with brake fluid like the factory service manual instructs during rebuild or do they come ready to install? thanks.

My dad tried to help by using a siphon to empty the reservoir. He didn'T tell me the siphon was used for cooking oil. He couldn't get any suction and ended up splashing brake fluid every where And I'm pretty sure three grease from the cooking oil is in the brake reservoir. How screwed am i?

thats not good as brake fluid eats paint like no other... as far as cooking oil i would remove the master and clean it out a few times with new fluid I WOULD NOT EVEN TRY PUMPING THE BRAKES till u cleaned it out... i dunno what cooking oil will do but my niece put power steering fluid in hers once and had to replace the whole brake sytem from fron to back as ir melted all the seals

Back