Sunroof Replacement

Maroon

:
03 mazda protege 5
I need to replace the sunroof on my 2003 P5 because a rock managed to jump up and smash it. In searching for info on the replacement I noticed that not all P5 and regular protege sunroofs are the same. Does anybody know what years are compatible?

Does anybody know of a writeup on this repair? Can just the glass be replaced, or must the entire sunroof assembly be replaced?

Thanks for the help.

I'll look for more info.

Sunroof_zpsb022d8bf.jpg

The 4 door sedan is different. (But maybe not the actual piece of glass,... iduno)

Last edited:
Hey, thanks for the response. I actually just fixed it, but I only replaced the glass, not the entire unit.

For future reference, it's a very easy job to replace just the glass. All you need is a T25 torx bit on a 1/4" drive ratchet with a 3" extension (3/8" drive would be too big). With the sunroof closed and the sun shade open, remove the 4 torx bolts (2 on pass side, 2 on driver's side) that can be seen from inside the car and lift out the old glass. Installation is just the reverse, however, there is a lot of clearance in the mounting holes of the brackets that are attached to the glass (about 3/16"). So you will want to take note of the position of the glass before removing it, or use the witness marks left by the bolt heads to position the glass.

The glass I used came from a 2003 protege sedan. I got it for $35 at a local yard. Through my research I was not able to find what model years and models have compatible glass so take some measurements before purchasing.

Back