Throttle sticking??

Expell

:
2003 Mazda Protege 5 Hatchback
Hey you guys,
I've been driving for 3 hours down the highway going to the mountains and stopped for gas. My car barely stopped. It didn't want to stop and I mean that the rpms were sittting at 3500 and having a weird fluctuation. When I threw it in park it shot up to 5000rpm and seemed like it was going to blow the engine. It's an 03 mazda protege5 with 128xxx km. I am sorta thinking its the throttle stuck open.. How could I check that? And what's a easy fix to cleaning or fixing it?

Was it below freezing?

There is supposed to be a coolant line that warms the TB, if it isn't working well, or someone removed it then the TB could freeze open.

On the TB You will see a cable and a round looking object, try turning it by hand, it is spring loaded and should snap back when released.

You can then also carefully remove the black pipe on the TB (Intake System) and visually inspect the TB Plate.

^^What they said,... you might be able to just spray down the area with spray oil (not WD-40 though, it evaporates leaving nothing behind, use something like PB Blaster, Liquid Wrench or even just a cheaper spray oil)

Don't forget to spray the cruise control cable too.

24d72992-d1a2-48d6-a80b-159f6d37a2bf_zps4b7fc487.jpg

Throttlelinkage003_zps24c24ba5.jpg

Throttlelinkage002_zpsb902a9fe.jpg

Last edited:
It was probably around 0 degrees. Going from Edmonton to banff. 4 1/2 hour drive. I'll check if I can pick up some lubricant

If possible could you throw up some pictures that are dummy proofed? I'm not really an engine guy. So yeah.. Would be mighty appreciated

I'm on it,...

It's the little coil spring,... that's the throttle,.. if you reach in and rotate it toward you, you give it gas

throttle2002_zps994a5b9f.jpg
[/IMG]

throttle2005_zps926033dc.jpg
[/IMG]

throttle2003_zpscf44b896.jpg
[/IMG]

throttle2007_zpsf9735117.jpg

Last edited:
This is where the wire enters the sheath,.. that's where crap can get in and get sticky.

throttle2008_zps2d1cae96.jpg

Last edited:
Pcb, you the man. +100 likes from me. When I get off the mountain I'm getting a can of cleaner or whatever I can get and will give it shitttt!! :) cheers man!

No problem,.. I gave me a chance to try my new camera,... (I've got some lernin 2 do)

Well it helped me, got off mountain tired as hell and walked down the street to the ghetto as hell "mechanic" shop they have in banff. Picked me up some no-name brand intake lube/cleaner and sprayed it all up in the throttle and played with it for a few minutes. Safe to stay it is no longer sticky and runs properly! :D. Thanks for the help!

Back