Grinding/Rattling noise around 3000 rpm!

jjharv

:
Mazda Protege 5
So my 2003 P5 has about 140k on it and when accelerating through 3000rpm there is a grinding/rattling noise that only lasts for about 200 rpm before or after 3000. It only occurs when the clutch is out and it's in gear. In neutral or clutched in the noise is non existent and the engine revs perfectly. Has any one experienced this, any ideas?

I have this too...I think it is coming from the head and may be connected to the VICS, but i haven't done much hunting.

My bad, I missed that the first time...mine does it all the time, so it's definitely different. In other words, ignore my contribution to this thread on account of my failure to actually read before posting...lol.

mine does the exact same thing. its the heat shield (atleast in my case) my heat shield has rusted pretty badly and a simple fix is to just take it off.

mine does the exact same thing. its the heat shield (atleast in my case) my heat shield has rusted pretty badly and a simple fix is to just take it off.

^What he said,... my car did the same thing,... only at a certain RPM,... removed heat shield,... problem solved !!

Back