Let's talk 20" Tires to Replace OEM tires on my 2012 CX-9 GT!

IgoZoom

:
2012 Mazda CX-9 GT FWD, Crystal White Pearl, Bose/Moonroof
Hi everyone,

I would be very interested to hear from CX-9 Grand Touring owners who have replaced the 20 factory/OEM tires at least once. Particularly, I would like to know specifically what kind of tires you chose, if you are more or less satisfied with them (or neither) and any specific pros and cons you have discovered!

My 2012 CX-9 Grand Touring FWD came with the following OEM tires-

Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400
(Highway All-Season)
245/50R20 102V BW

Ive never been a big fan of Bridgestones and these are certainly nothing special. If I chose to replace them with the same, they would cost over $1200/set AND they have NO treadwear warranty! Not happening

There are two potential replacements that actually seem superior to the Bridgestones in most ways. They are-

( Both are 245/50R20 102V BW & have a 60k Treadwear Warranty, Load Range- SL)

Yokohama YK580
(Performance All-Season)
$177/each
$830.38 OTD/set of 4

Yokohama AVID ENVigor
(High-Performance All-Season)
$205/each
$949.10/set of 4

There arent nearly as many options available in P245/50R20 V-rated tires as Im accustomed to! But Ive had great experiences with Yokohama (as well as Dunlop and Michelin) in the past.but I would love to hear from you guys!

Nitto NT850+ CUV. I am on my second set. I love them.
Cons - Snow traction ( I have front wheel drive, I don't think any all season tire would work well in the snow on my front wheel drive CX-9)
Pros - V - Rated, Outstanding hydroplaning resistance, dry traction and wet traction (accelleration), 50,000 mile pro-rated warranty, cost, very very very low road noise, treadwear rating.

We took a 500 mile or so trip about a month or 2 after getting our 2nd set, and I had purchased 4 new TPM sensors and had those installed along with the tires, and had the tires roadforce balanced.

I took her up to about 92mph on a straight stretch and it was smooth as butter, dead steering wheel, and still no road noise, only wind noise.

They tread water at interstate speeds like no other, and even at 70mph in pouring down rain, you get no feeling of "oh crap I might hydroplane." They make zero road noise all the way to about 4/32, and then they pick up just a little road noise below 4/32.

I bought them via tirebuyer.com. They got to my house in 2 days, and they gave me 20 bucks off for ordering over-the-phone. They are owned by American Tire Distributors.

I have had Avid's in the past on other cars, and loved those, but reading the reviews for the Envigors.... they have some bad reviews for tread life, traction, and some other things.

A lot of folks on here have the Yoko Spec X, but if you read the reviews online, they are susceptible to a short life span, and hydroplaning resistance is not all that great.

First off I would look at tirerack.com and use it as a reference. They have an exceptional listing of most tires available in that size. They also have an extended database of user feedback as well as they're own test results. I've used that info on many occasions and it has not let me down so far. I don't know how those Bridgestone Dueler H/L 400 tires make it onto Mazda's OEM install but they are not good. I suspect that they are specially lot priced direct to the Mazda factory in Hiroshima. I also suspect that almost any tire you select will be better than those 400s. The funny part is that the Bridgestone Dueler H/L 422 Ecopia is the top rated tire in the Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season class in that size and is $24 cheaper per tire. When my tires are at a point to replace I will probably go to Costco and get a set when they have their annual $70 instant rebate.

Last edited:
Back