(P0171 - bank 1 running lean

whatusername

:
02 protege5
my p5 is throwing that code it does a quick misfire at idle then smooths out for a few seconds or up to a min then a sputter again and repeats.. also when accelerating i can feel a almost not noticeable surging but i know its there could this b from me having a header n not doing the non fowler trick yet? i have also had my scan tool tell me cyl 1 misfire detected but since i cleared th code last week it has not come back just the p0171

Normally you pull a P0140 as far as I remember without the non-fouler. There are two types of non-fouler, a drilled spark plug extender and a resistor capacitor combination. I don't remember which one is better but they are both easy.

Both those codes are pretty close to each other though so I suggest picking your non-fouler approach and do it.

p0140_zpsb82fcaf5.jpg

p0171_zps54acca35.jpg

non fauler has nothing to do with it. That trick is just to fool the computer into thinking there is catalytic convertor. It has no effect on the way the engine runs.

it sounds more like it may just be time to do a tune up/induction cleaning.

Or more likely and more common is if you have after market headers you might have an exhaust leak at the manifold. This can be caused if you used the bad gaskets that most come with them or not tightening the bolts correctly. Lets say your exhaust pops and all you have is headers then this is the case.

Yea my exhaust does popr sometimes on decell so u think it could b a header gasket issue? I did use the 1 that Came with it instead of the old metal manifold gasket

Last edited:
^I still wonder why he didn't pull that code,... everyone who installed headers had to do the non-fouler trick (as far as I know).

My car sputtered like that after disconnecting my battery,... it had to relearn everything,... It settled down after about an hour of driving and all the drive cycles were worked out.

Last edited:
i have no clue.. i know i have never gotton the other code since i installed the header the only 1 that keeps coming up is the p0171 i purchased a diagnostic scanner just for this cuz i got tired of running to az to read and clear the codes

The symptoms for all those codes are very similar,... Maybe your ECU just interpreted it differently then others have found,... either way I'd do the "non-fouler"

non fauler has nothing to do with it. That trick is just to fool the computer into thinking there is catalytic convertor. It has no effect on the way the engine runs.

it sounds more like it may just be time to do a tune up/induction cleaning.

Or more likely and more common is if you have after market headers you might have an exhaust leak at the manifold. This can be caused if you used the bad gaskets that most come with them or not tightening the bolts correctly. Lets say your exhaust pops and all you have is headers then this is the case.
this engine was installed a little over a week ago new plugs were installed vtcs removed a lil over a month ago & port n polish done. also cleaned intake,egr,maf,iac while i was there.

yea replace the gasket with an oem gasket or something that is oe standard. Those gaskets that come with aftermarket heads are POS.
there is no official patten from mazda but follow this:
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/showthread.php?123707285-MazdaSpeed-Protege-turbo-torque-specs

If you changed the headers recently you might not get the catalytic convertor code for some time. It takes some time before the computer figures out there is no cat, same is the case if you replace the cat it takes some time before it shows emission ready.

Back