Energy Suspension Rear Trailing Arm Bushings

I installed these a couple weeks ago on my wife's '08 Mazda5. The van had 123K on it when I did the work, since then she's driven it about 1500 miles. My goal was to reduce the shaking of the rear seats, reduce cupping of the rear tires, and possibly reduce the camber/toe changes in the rear suspension.

I started off by removing the wheels and the splash guards covering the forward part of the trailing arms. In order to get the rear suspension to drop enough to get the old bushings out you have to disconnect the camber arm and shock. I placed my jack under the rear lower control arm so I could control how much the arm dropped down, I was concerned too much extension would allow the spring to pop out as I've never had this suspension apart before.

Two bolts hold the trailing arm to the body, with the camber arm and shock disconnected the arm drops down far enough that you can work on the bushing.

Working on the bushing is the part that isn't fun. In the past I've used an oxy-acetylene torch, drill, sawzall, etc, to remove bushings. You aren't removing the metal sleeve that the bushing is vulcanized to so it's a messy job. Given the proximity of the gas tank and my desire to avoid a hospital visit I decided to use a mechanical method to remove the bushing. I started with drilling small holes in the rubber around the perimeter of the bushing and then progressively used larger bits to get the center pin loose. After the pin was out I used a brass cup brush on my plug in drill to grind out the rubber. I used the same tool on the pin to clean it up.

With everything cleaned up I greased up the bushing and pushed it into the trailing arm by hand.

1AA55118-8723-4F17-9305-EDF91F089F97-703-0000003FFAF2D069_zps24acc562.jpg

The pin needs to be pressed in somehow and it can only be done after putting the bushing into the arm. I used a C-clamp, a 32mm socket, and a large flat piece of steel.

2A53B9B8-E63A-4061-B64A-FB55D573064E-703-0000003FFD1235D9_zps2e87baae.jpg

61F6422D-12B3-4466-8248-BC78F0403B36-703-0000003FFF137C3F_zps2408ddfd.jpg

Ideally you'd have a clamp that's bigger than mine and be able to use two sockets but a wood clamp wont be strong enough as it requires a lot of force. With my setup you get to a point where the pin bottoms out on the steel but the pin is far enough in that you can switch that side to a socket to push the rest of the way in.

5EA6DFB1-FCE3-4335-B22C-CFEFB4C01405-703-000000400326E1AD_zpsbd641b1c.jpg

9690E122-F768-41AD-8846-5CDA1BC9A626-703-00000040012CC849_zps15b0f598.jpg

I had the van aligned right after the install and I'm now at 1.5 degrees negative front and rear, I have no idea what it was before the install but there was more rear camber. The toe set is within spec and interestingly it looks like the rear ride height is a little higher. I'm not sure what stock ride height is but I'll measure the hub to fender for you guys to compare. Knowing now that the rear trailing arm bushings are bonded to the pins I would say lowering the 5 isn't a great idea without replacing them with something like these Energy Suspension bushings. Anything other than the bonded position is applying torque to the bushing.

The van responds better to transitions left and right. The rear shake is nearly eliminated and it feels like the rear shocks are better able to do their job. I waited for some time after the install for two reasons, 1 to give an evaluation of their performance and 2 because this was a lot of work. Hopefully eliminating some of the rear toe change and rear camber will help the tire wear.

Nice work. Are these for the Mazda3 or are there different ones for the 5?

This is a great post! Thanks for sharing the detailed photos on this DIY!

Hopefully someone else will reply but our van now has 152k on it with no noise or other issues from the bushings. The tire wear has been even. I think I need new rear lateral arms and rear sway bar hardware now. At this point I'm not sure if I should drive this thing until it dies or what, it's not worth a whole lot on there market with the miles we've put on it.

Yours is the first mention I have seen of an "insert" bearing for the rear trailing arms. If you look at Advance, or related websites all the bushings are press in with the steel sleeve integral. This is the style I put on mine (along with new lateral links) and my experience has been very similar to yours, lots of work, but worth it. My van has 169k on it btw

Hi thanks for posting this thread i have had a knocking over bumps on my mazda and i had a look today and found my bushes are shot on trailing arms can this be done with just general tools if so could a step by step guide be sent to me cheer guys

You CAN do exactly what the OP did with hand tools by following his photos and cursing A LOT. If you replace your bushings with stock type replacements you MUST HAVE A SHOP PRESS. Trying to get the old bushings/shells out without one would be virtually impossible. You could, in theory torch the rubber out then cut and hammer the shells out of the trailing arms, but then you have no way of getting the new bushings into place. The stock type bushings have to be indexed properly relative to the trailing arm or they will fail very quickly BTW. HTH

My two cents:
I've done similar things on my old Volvo and a the neighbors Explorer and went to polys, mostly.

Use some proper grease for the poly bushings to prevent the race-car squeaks that may develop over time. That stuff is extremely tacky!https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
A Rotozip, or sideways cutting/carving drillbit can cut out a bushing pretty quick. If you have a Dremel-ish tool, go after the leftovers and polish the sleeve - if it stays.
If they have to come out, see if you can get a metal saw in there and make a relief cut (unhook blade, move through hole, hook up again), hammer, chisel... watch your weekend go by.

One of these days I will have a look at mine... but bigger sways are probably next. Stupid $$$ eating thing.

Last edited:
He speaks the truth^^ The part that will leave you with the car up on jack stands and the rear suspension in pieces is the installation of the NEW stock type bushings. The cross pins are bonded to the rubber, which is in turn bonded to the new shells. The shells have a flat milled on one side showing you proper orientation of the pin relative to the trailing arm. If, while hammering the new shells into place, that orientation is lost, the pins will have to be twisted to mate with the body when you remount the trailing arm. With the pins already twisting at install they will fail very quickly once they are under load. The only practical way to avoid this is to make a C-clamp style press, like the OP, or use a shop press. I'm repeating myself aren't I? Stupid Alzhiemers! LOL

Back