Possible Motor swaps for the MSP 2003-2003.5 or 99-03 Mazda protege

alazare619

:
MSP 2003.5 #1800 1996 Ford Probe GT
I've searched this site and google for answers to this question what possible motors are drop in capable for the mazda speed protege obviously the FS-DE/ZE but is the F2T possibly able to be dropped in I know the transmission for the F2T bolts up to the FS-DE/ZE so our transmission would bolt up to the F2T possibly what about motor moutns would they fit on the f2t? is there any other mazda motors that would drop in and accept our trans and bell housing. I just purchased a MSP for 2k got a new turbo waiting slightly used from a person in town that should bolt right in and play gt2871r looking for motor options.

pics

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/544403_533658433343286_803713517_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/540125_533658426676620_2144280068_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/529117_533658430009953_1882048181_n.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/546020_533658436676619_171419572_n.jpg

Still looking for any info regarding any other drop in solutions for the mazda protege speed

With the right combo of engine mounts, the F2t will def bolt in. And would be a sweet swap, and original as i cant think of anyone who has done the swap with a 3rd gen protege. Just with the earlier BG chassis cars.

If I'm not mistaking probe gt/mx6/mx3 klde klze and k8 motors will fit because they share the same motor mounts, you'll just need a new harness.

Thats what I was thinking and i was planning on leaving the original ecu in the car to run all the periphrals just strip the engine bay harness out or splice on the correct adapters and pin out the ecu and pin in the air fuel timing and sensors into the the f2t ecu

Direct swaps, as in no modifications, are the FP and FS engines...thats it...

the 'easiest' swap to another engine family is definitely the KL V6 2.5L's (or the smaller K8s)...They drop right in, use the same mounts and locations, but require some minor fabrication in a few areas...such as radiator supports...and to my knowledge no one so far has be able to finish the AC system with a KL...and just pull it out...that may be changed since i've checked though...

by far the hardest part of the KL swap will be wiring...but there is a ton of information around on what is needed...and like most things electrical, most of it is completely up to you...just a bit tedious, thats all...

everything else will just get more and more custom...the F2T is probably the next option, but little information is available on all that needs done...physically, that won't be a problem...the F2T is a little physically bigger, and can handle a good bit of power...but internal parts availability and everything are FAR less than a normal FS...so i wouldn't really see what is so much better...yes, it'll hold more than a stock FS...but i doubt it will hold more than a built FS, which would be easier and cheaper to do altogether...

as far as aftermarket parts options...the Mazda king, outside of rotary options, is arguably still the 1.8L BP engines...but there are so many different types of those, sourcing one that would fit with which gear box would be a nightmare imo...

This is the info I needed thanks everyone. Could we get a sticky with known swaps and what kinda fab would be needed to achieve each with maybe a pro's and con's?

Bp will bolt up to the g15. All bp's are physically the same most differences are in the head rods and pistons, gtr swap ftw

what about motor mounts if the g15 the tranny i have will bolt up to the bpt and the bpt's are identical other then heads/rods/pistons what info is there on the motor mount location ive never actually looked at a bpt so i have no knowledge would have to ship one

Has anyone else ever even considered the possibility of a 4g63 swap?.... And honestly you could probably even take the Evo awd driveline and trans with the swap. And dont rule me out as an idiot just yet, I have put a fair bit of thought into this. The motor mounting points are damn near identical, if not exactly on. As for the gas tank not having the notch for a rear drive shaft, that could worked around with a fuel cell located in the trunk.... I know plenty of people have played with the idea of making their MSP awd, and even a couple who have actually tried, but I have never heard of anybody actually completing it. Obviously there are a few other things that would need to be done, but hypothetically speaking, seeing as the MSP and the Evo are so similar, not only in looks but size as well, I would imagine it to be a realatively easyswap with minor fabrication and modification, and making that swap, you wouldn't have to deal with the MSP trans grenading if you started aiming for more power. And yes I know, it would be expensive.

There's a reason no one has done it, I think it was Brian that imported the entire awd p5 and decided not to do it for a reason. It's not just the gas tank the entire rear subframe is different along with the floor pans, I've looked onto it for s**** and giggles and while it is possible (nothing is impossible) you would probably be able to just buy an Evo after all the costs, not to mention if I remember right the rear end is really weak and there's no way around that

And just an FYI the only 4g63 that is on the passenger side is the Evo the rest are on the driver side. But so are dseries Honda motors and someone did successfully swap a d16y7 into a 3rd gen protege so you could do a fwd 4g63 swap and still make 800+ whp if you wanted to

Dan Sac on Probetalk just made a RWD probe using a miata as a donor, and even used the original KL probe v6 in it. If that can be done, Then a project like this isnt bad at all. It just comes down to having the knowledge, common sense, and tools to do it.

Dan Sac on Probetalk just made a RWD probe using a miata as a donor, and even used the original KL probe v6 in it. If that can be done, Then a project like this isnt bad at all. It just comes down to having the knowledge, common sense, and tools to do it.

Very true this was amazing work and should inspire all of us to think outside of the box. SCREW IT, when they say is cant be done or shouldn't be done.....maybe we should try it. Worst case scenario we learn not to do it again or perhaps learn a better way. Best thing is to go at it with no fear and feel free to make mistakes.

I think a wrx rear end is really close to a msp since its independent suspension and would need a custom mount for the differential and custom lateral link and trailing arms.... If the coilover have the same thread pitch as the msp we might be able to use there spindles by changing the spindle mount on the coilovers from an msp to wrx.... Possibly with a adapter plate we would be able to run the awd toyota trans from alltrac and gt-4 celicaas next a custom drive shaft there maybe some thing i missed

Last edited:
I think a wrx rear end is really close to a msp since its independent suspension and would need a custom mount for the differential and custom lateral link and trailing arms.... If the coilover have the same thread pitch as the msp we might be able to use there spindles by changing the spindle mount on the coilovers from an msp to wrx.... Possibly with a adapter plate we would be able to run the awd toyota trans from alltrac and gt-4 celicaas next a custom drive shaft there maybe some thing i missed

Drive shaft tunnel and gas tank. Not to mention the time labor and materials for all the custom stuff would buy you an awd or rwd car...

Now if you have the materials, skill, time, and money to waste go for it. But please do it to a regular protege and don't ruin an msp

One day if i had a little cash and the desire, id try a mid engine rwd protege lol. delete the backseat, put a fuel cell in the front. just make custom suspension parts for the back case tthey pretty fricken simple.

paying somone to do it is definitely expensive and questionable, but if you dont need the car for anything and you dont mind learning how to do stuff, why not?

if i did that it would probably be electric and a track only car.

Back