CREE 7443 LED Brake Light Bulb

MATR6

:
'15 WRX
http://bit.ly/YacPEG
Did I buy the wrong bulb? Or need resisters for them to work.
I plugged them in & without pressing on the brake pedal, all brake lights are on, even the 3rd brake light.
I turned them around & they don't light up.
I even switched the contacts on the socket to the other side to see if it'll switch the polarity.
Did I buy some POS bulb or I need to do something else to make these work as the OEM dual filament 7443 bulbs for parking & brake light.
TIA.

Well, I tend to think you did get the wrong ones because I followed the link & clicked on the "compatibility" tab and no CX-5 is listed.

The OEM bulbs are 7443 so I bought 7443s.
I'm going to put these next to the OEM filament bulbs & line up the contacts exactly & see if they work.

http://bit.ly/YacPEG

I turned them around & they don't light up.

thats the nature of led's the only work when you have them plugged in properly, they aren't bi-directional like a filament bulb

another problem with our cx5's and bulbs like these (end emitters) is that almost none of our bulb mounts point directly out, theyre all at angles, so any bulbs like this are wasting the brightest light that comes out the lens by not being pointed straight back...(i learned this with the reverse bulbs and then looked at all the others, they're all at angles to the longitudinal axis of the car rather than parallel to it

Yeah the long LED bulb stalk is diagonal in the housing. But these CREE ones are super bright & the CREE LED projectors out with side SMT LEDs so that reflect on the housing.
I'll provide an update tonight if I get them to work.

It works fine now. I must have had the polarity wrong on one of the bulbs that caused them to be on along with the 3rd brake light. Now the 3rd brake light doesn't light up & it is dimmer for the parking light & brighter when I press on the brake pedal.
I'll try to take pics tonight. The eBay seller was responsive too. He said he tested them bf shipping out. I'm pretty happy with the purchase as he was the lowest buy it now price.

It works fine now. I must have had the polarity wrong on one of the bulbs that caused them to be on along with the 3rd brake light. Now the 3rd brake light doesn't light up & it is dimmer for the parking light & brighter when I press on the brake pedal.

I'll try to take pics tonight. The eBay seller was responsive too. He said he tested them bf shipping out. I'm pretty happy with the purchase as he was the lowest buy it now price.

Right on! Thanks for the update.
How about putting them in? Easy to access?

Right on! Thanks for the update.
How about putting them in? Easy to access?
Yeah, instructions are in the owners manual. It takes more time to remove the panels with a long flat head screwdriver than twist out & install the new bulb.

EDIT: The pics I took don't show how bright they are as the exposure adjusted to the increase intensity. I would say these CREE LED bulbs are brighter or as bright as the LED 3rd brake light.
They are more red than the OEM bulbs too.

Last edited:
Great info. Thanks. Yeah, I agree about the cree LEDs. They are really bright. I'm using cree DRLs that I really like. You should try them if you haven't already. Thanks again.

Great info. Thanks. Yeah, I agree about the cree LEDs. They are really bright. I'm using cree DRLs that I really like. You should try them if you haven't already. Thanks again.
I have LEDs in the DRLs, just not CREEs, they're bright enough. I wish the CX-5 came with LED tailights stock. The design would look great with LEDs.

Back