What MPG are you getting???

I have a 2013 AWD, in city I get 22-23MPG, on highway around 30 (driving about 73). I am mostly driving a 1.5 mile commute through residential, so I believe this explains the poor mileage. My 99 corolla would get about the same, maybe 23-24MPG for the short 1.5 mile commute.

CX-5 is great!

22-24 on my commute to work (all local roads 7-10miles max). on the highway 27-31. combined 25-28. '14 Touring awd. I drive pretty conservative. When I push it, all those will drop a few mpgs.

Now that we are off the winter fuel, I'm back to 30-32mpg at the pump on my 2013 2.0 w/17s. Most days I'm about 80/20 hwy/city overall, and the highway is about equal parts 70mph and 55-60mph. That's a lot different than always doing 75-80 like it is some places. Wind is the biggest factor for me that affects mpgs. If I spend more time fighting wind, I may barely hang onto 30 even hwy, but with zero wind all day, or a good share of tail wind... I can be 34+ for the day. (150-200 miles)

Driving style makes a big difference. We are seeing a 3-4 mpg difference between different drivers on our manual 2.0 sport, between 27-28 and 31-32, depending on who's driving. It will consistently get 32 mpg at 80 mph, 35-36 mpg at 65mph on level ground.

Level ground would make a difference too for me.... no such thing in my area, as we have rolling hills everywhere! Those #'s sound right on to me, out on the flats. 55-60 on a flat run with no wind should do 40mpg. I'm curious about how the manual does at higher speeds vs the auto. 70mph+ it must have a decent advantage?

I did a fuel economy test this past weekend.

My car is a 2014 AWD Touring, and I have Yokohama IceGuard IG51V tires on it.

Last Saturday, I drove out east of Denver on I-70, picked a gas station, filled up, drove east on I-70 for 50 miles with the cruise control locked in at 76 mph the whole time, turned around and the nearest exit, then drove back to the same gas station, and refilled at the same pump, again with the cruise locked in at 76 mph.

Total of 107.4 miles, and I manually calculated 30.03 mpg.
My city driving gets me down between 22 and 24 mpg on average.

I'm quite happy with my mpg.

I also noticed that my average mpg display was showing on the return trip home where I was only doing 65 mph that I was then getting around 34 mpg.
Maybe I'll do another test on a 65 mph road in the future.

BC.

Level ground would make a difference too for me.... no such thing in my area, as we have rolling hills everywhere!

I've found the CX-5 to return particularly good MPG figures in hilly terrain.

I would guess it's because the engine functions as a normal (Otto cycle) internal combustion engine while climbing hills but is capable of Atkinson cycle under low throttle demands such as when descending. Also, the CX-5 can use the momentum created by the descent to turn over the engine while cutting off fuel injection when it's not needed.

The primary factors preventing the CX-5 from returning very high MPG figures is it's above average ground clearance (causes aerodynamic drag), SUV aerodynamics (even though Mazda designers did a great job reducing the CD of the generally boxy SUV form) and tires that are too large for maximum efficiency.

It is strange. I've had good mpgs in the mountains sometimes, including the cx5 last summer in the smokies. But sometimes I've also had poor mileage also. Don't have an explanation.

On a really flat stretch of road like a river valley... the current mpg will often read about 40, but it may be that nowhere is flat enough to yield that kind of # for long periods.

We just filled up our 2014 Touring 2.5 FWD for the first time. We got just over 27 mpg in the first tank, hand calculated(the lie-o-meter said 25.8mpg). We live in Seattle where it is hilly and traffic is bad. I would say about half the driving(time wise) was on the highway and half was in the city stop and go. I am pretty happy with that for the first tank with 50/50 driving. I drove my mom's 2005 CRV AWD for a while recently doing sales and I would say I was 50/50 city/highway and maybe even 40/60 city/highway. I was only getting 22 or 23 in that rig.

Fuelly below. I have a 40 mile RT commute daily. On the way in I get about 12 miles of freeway ~65, and 8 miles of city. Coming home it varies - sometimes 8 miles of city, sometimes 20 miles if I don't take the freeway. The freeway can be stop and go for 6-8 miles too. I've been pretty happy with my averages. I am putting about 1 gallon more on a fill up in my cx-5 than I did my '98 Corolla. As part of that fuelly was a trip to Las Vegas, which was almost entirely freeway, but a lot of uphill on the way, and some hellacious headwinds on the way home, so averages were less than expected. Can't say I am seeing 32 freeway average, but my combined is right on the money.

My commute is a little over 12 miles but I typically get about 38mpg one way and 36mpg back. I've recently been driving to another place which is a little over 13 miles away and have been averaging anywhere from 35 mpg to 44.5 mpg depending on the path I take. Sometimes taking minor detours can make a big difference in the mpg which is possible.

Now the weather is much warmer, around 24 deg, 78f, my economy as improved quite a lot. Short trips of around 4 miles with most in town driving I am getting around 47 mpg, autobahn journeys are around 52 to 56 mpg depending on terrain. For awd I'm really happy.

Today my wife and I went to an Ikea store, about 50km from home. As the trip is almost all highway I decided not to drive too fast (usually 130 km/h) and to turn the cruise control on at 110 km/h (68 mi/h) in order to understand the potential MPG of my car. Returning home I could read a satisfactory 7.1 l/100 km (33 MPG) with a medium speed of 87 km/h (54 mi/h). Not so bad... especially when compared with my average consumption of 12% -19.6 MPG (85/15 city/highway)

Last edited:
Did my round trip today, 15 degrees, 99% motorway driving, 94 miles.... 39 mpg.
Just two of us in the car.
I think I need my dealer to have another look at the poor consumption.
Geoff, have you checked your tyre pressures. It makes a massive difference even just 5psi down. Also was it raining? Tyre resistance in wet weather can give 10%worse economy. and one other thing is badly adjusted hand brake, which can add slight braking force if not fully released.

Got my UK CX-5 last week and just got back from a road trip. The last 420 miles averaged 54.6 mpg. Motorway driving for the most part.

D

I drive up and down hills/mountains a considerable part of my daily drive. Getting about 26MPG average. Pretty happy overall. Looks to be closer to 30 when I am down in Denver on flatter, straighter highways.

After the winter getting back up into the 27's and probably will be nearing the regular 29-30's as the weather gets warmer. For an AWD these are great numbers.

Back